Spheres for BX
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Spheres for BX

Default Spheres for BX

Hi everyone, is it possible to put CX spheres (front and rear) for BX without any modification to have more comfortable ride?

Advertisement

Yep. They'll fit. Handling will suffer though.

I have found it better to fit Xantia non-hydractive front spheres to a BX. You won't need to regass them either as they are double membrane spheres that don't leak until they fail.

A lot of the stiffness in the BX front suspension comes from non-lubricated front struts binding over small bumps. Put it on max height, block up for safety, lift the protective strut covers and grease the silver strut rod inserts. Repeat every oil change. Car will go up and down much smoother as well.

Rear spheres are not so bad if you keep them regassed. I tried CX spheres but they will make it way too soft and underdamped - bouncy.

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    A lot of the stiffness in the BX front suspension comes from non-lubricated front struts binding over small bumps. Put it on max height, block up for safety, lift the protective strut covers and grease the silver strut rod inserts. Repeat every oil change. Car will go up and down much smoother as well.

Ken W
    What grease do you suggest Ken? I have tried to lube with LHM but not very successful.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    What grease do you suggest Ken? I have tried to lube with LHM but not very successful.
    I tried everything with our BX front struts and nothing relieved the binding of the sliding action. I had them reconditioned by Pleiades in Queensland and everything was hugely improved.

Re the spheres, I'd be super careful. The CX has very different suspension requirements from a BX, being much heavier. Maybe George's suggestion for Xantia front spheres for the front of the BX is OK, but there is not only softness to consider but damping.

You might consider Xantia "confort" front spheres too, but you have to buy them and then decide whether the car is safe with them fitted.

Maybe Shane will comment? There have been discussions of this sort a few years ago.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs by the way, Citroenci. Always nice to have more froggers on here!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Mr Alan S has mentioned in this forum about that, He says silicone grease. By the way, thanks for your helps gentlemen.
    Last edited by Citroenci; 4th May 2015 at 10:08 PM.

In this case Xantia non-hydractive spheres (comfort) can be a good alternative for front side. I think, I will prefer IFHS brand (which not available in my country). I am not sure its quality but should be better than Lizarte.

I used some Nulon grease that had some PTFE in it.

Cheers,

Ken W

UFO

Silicone grease. Expensive but it works.

Here's a BX with the wrong rear spheres on it. 30 mins later we had fitted the correct rears and it was fine. Not my car and I was not the fitter of the wrong spheres.

https://youtu.be/zcgQKMfzmlU
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information