XM serpentine belt - HELP!!!
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: XM serpentine belt - HELP!!!

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default XM serpentine belt - HELP!!!

I am replacing the belt, and, I have it going from the crank to the AC up to the alt back down and around an idler back up and around the pump, down under the tensioner and back on the crank. I have around 4 inches freeplay with the belt tensioned. I have removed the inner wheel arch liner to ensure it is on the crank and ac correctly and checked it against the old belt - it is actually a bit shorter. I is almost like it should have another idler but, I am at a complete loss- the original was tight. Any ideas please - I am without a car....

Advertisement

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

so.... so does anyone else here suffer from mechanical dyslexia ... All sorted

I remember something similar happening to me once - from that lesson I learned to always draw a picture (or take a photo) to remind me where the belt goes. Serpentine is a very apt name...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    so.... so does anyone else here suffer from mechanical dyslexia ... All sorted
    Hi WRB and Mungous ,
    A serious lesson to learn here. ALWAYS DRAW A SKETCH or TAKE SOME PICTURES before you start. Been there, done that, too
    Looks simple but NO !! Lots of time wasted and other 'consultants' no better at the puzzle either, after you cracked it you cannot understand why it took so long ??????
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Hi WRB

Tried Google Images for timing belt diagrams? Seems to be quite a few XM pictures there.

Cheers.

The Joys!
    I too was replacing a serpentine belt this weekend, but on a Yank tank, seems my wife's altercation with a 2m Grey Kangaroo, caused the tensioner to partly release the belt. Then it fell off altogether a day later.
    This particular piece of iron mongrelly is almost impossible to steer without the power steering pump running. Something I've never experienced before (or wish to again, I nearly sprained both wrists wrestling it around corners).
    I too did a bit of head scratching, at least the diagram was on the front cross member, all I needed was a couple of "special" tools made from fencing wire.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You always have to draw a diagram ... no matter how simple it looks when it's together. I think we all learn this one the hard way
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi WRB and Mungous ,
    A serious lesson to learn here. ALWAYS DRAW A SKETCH or TAKE SOME PICTURES before you start. Been there, done that, too
    Looks simple but NO !! Lots of time wasted and other 'consultants' no better at the puzzle either, after you cracked it you cannot understand why it took so long ??????
    Jaahn
    Yeah, um, that's kind of why I didn't stop my post after the first eight words!

You can actually work most from first principles. Aim for maximum wrap (180į or more) on the crankshaft as a start.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You can actually work most from first principles. Aim for maximum wrap (180į or more) on the crankshaft as a start.
    Yeah ... it's simple in theory .... You obviously haven't spent an hour trying every combination you can think of (none of which are even close) so in desperation you try refitting the old belt .... to find it doesn't bloody fit either ... when you finally find a diagram that shows the belt layout in a manual... it does fit ... and has a seemingly very simple route that you should have figured out
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

There are always little clues, I don't claim they can be resolved in seconds but if you've no mud map it's not the end of hope.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

That is why this is so embarrassing - I had printed out the diagram. I think this has something to do with growing old.....

Thread Information