Change of plan regarding C5 towbar...
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Change of plan regarding C5 towbar...

Icon10 Change of plan regarding C5 towbar...

For a couple of months I have been thinking of fitting a towbar to the C5. I've looked around, checked the wreckers about 15 times, which costs $2.00 just to enter and have a look. I've enquired and found prices ranging from about $145.00 Australian dollars for a new one, from Britain, but the postage is listed as $450.00 Aus dollars...making it a little steep.
    One in Tasmania, just a little closer , was $300.00. Postage or courier extra... still a little steep as far as I'm concerned.
    My wife suggested we just swap cars if I need to tow anything, and I can't argue with her logic.

In my search I did find a C5 towbar for sale in NSW near Jervis Bay, at Basin View. It's only $150.00 complete, and still available. I just thought the shipping charge was going to make it a non economical proposition, so if you live in NSW and want a C5 towbar, email me and I'll give you the name and contact details...

Email me ... George, aufornvic@optusnet.com.au.

Advertisement

I know this should be in the Towbar thread... but instead of it being hidden there ... I put it here...
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 1st May 2015 at 12:59 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

I think you need some adjustment in your price perspectives! My sister in law got a dealer quote on her new Skoda - $1400!
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    I think you need some adjustment in your price perspectives! My sister in law got a dealer quote on her new Skoda - $1400!
    Yes, but you said on her NEW Skoda. When you are talking about an 11 year old car, and a second hand towbar...you shouln't have to pay out such a ridiculous amount. It's nothing complex, just a towbar.
    The local wreckers charge $50.00 for ANY brand or type of towbar.... the only catch is you have to find it and remove it yourself. A much better option on an 11 year old car... don't you think?

Fellow Frogger!

IF you can find one. I have up and bought one from the UK. Have you tried the parts finder site?
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

My brand new "swan neck" type Berlingo towbar (Polish made) cost about $240 all up by the time it arrived here, close to an even split on purchase plus airfreight. A friend re-packed it for me in the UK, much less wasted space than originally as he received it. Surface freight from Poland to the UK was quite low, maybe 20 Euro?

The factory harness (which I have not yet bought) is only about $110 locally vs around $95 shipped in.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    My brand new "swan neck" type Berlingo towbar (Polish made) cost about $240 all up by the time it arrived here, close to an even split on purchase plus airfreight. A friend re-packed it for me in the UK, much less wasted space than originally as he received it. Surface freight from Poland to the UK was quite low, maybe 20 Euro?

The factory harness (which I have not yet bought) is only about $110 locally vs around $95 shipped in.
    The local Wreckers charge $6.00 for the factory harness, regardless of brand or model. But I agree, to find a C5 one is not easy. That's why I will give anyone the contact details if they email me..
    cheers... George 1/8th

George,

Try doing an e-go quote for shipping. If you can do depot to depot shipping its quite cost effective. I had a towbar shipped from Ballarat to Brisbane for quite a cost effective amount.

Cheers,

Ken W

I bought factory harness from UK for about $60 to the local PO. Car hasn't fried the electrics yet, but then again I can be impatient sometimes.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Thread Information