Occasional difficult gear change on Xsara VTR 1.6
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Occasional difficult gear change on Xsara VTR 1.6

Hi all

I have recently bought a VTR @ 78,000 kms - very tidy car for a good price - and wanted to check what might be causing what I am experiencing as gears being sometimes difficult to select? There are no strange noises like grinding or hums etc. There is a fair bit of play in the lever but I am not familiar with the model so not sure what's normal.

Advertisement

Also just wanted to check if the steering on this model is normally quite stiff, as well as ask if there is any DYI video or instructions that you know of for checking the rear suspension trailing arm bearings?

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Sounds like a nice car. You might consider posting on the Peugeot forum too, as the Xsara was somewhat of a reskinned Peugeot 306.

There is more than one type of clutch cable type on the 306. Ours adjusts itself automatically and is still fine after 20 years and nearly 200,000 km. I'd suspect cable first, but check whether the floor carpet and underlay is actually letting you press the pedal down far enough. Our Citroen BX clutch failed at 200,000 km+, making gear changing very difficult although still possible. There were no untoward noises. Our 306 has gradually become sloppier in the gear linkage but certainly no issues with changing gear have resulted.

78,000 isn't much for a clutch but who knows how the car was driven.

Best of luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information