timing belt tensioner C3? 1.4L
  • Help
    ccc

Default timing belt tensioner C3? 1.4L

Hi
    Can someone confirm that the C3 timing belt tensioner is adjusted to the correct tension by aligning two marks on the tensioner.
    Kmart today replaced my daughter's 2003 C3 timing belt and adjusted the belt by the above method.
    I was going to do the belt myself but have misplaced the Haynes manual.
    What I remember from the Haynes manual re the timing belt, didnt mention the above method but used a special tool placed on the belt that measured the tension.
    Kmart also didnt lock the engine using 8 & 10mm dowels into the engine as per Haynes.Rather marked the engine position using white marker...
    thx

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ccc View Post
    Hi
    Can someone confirm that the C3 timing belt tensioner is adjusted to the correct tension by aligning two marks on the tensioner.
    Kmart today replaced my daughter's 2003 C3 timing belt and adjusted the belt by the above method.
    I was going to do the belt myself but have misplaced the Haynes manual.
    What I remember from the Haynes manual re the timing belt, didnt mention the above method but used a special tool placed on the belt that measured the tension.
    Kmart also didnt lock the engine using 8 & 10mm dowels into the engine as per Haynes.Rather marked the engine position using white marker...
    thx

Generically speaking, using a white marker is fine but locking the engine is best. Many engine manufacturers use the white marking as a standard procedure if they don't have indent marks. Don't know about C3 engine, but in my experience the marks on the tensioner are there as an indication of the amount of belt stretch, and they would certainly be aligned as a tension guide when fitting a new belt. But I could be wrong on the Citroen method.

Sorry, but one word frightens me == "KMART" I personally wouldn't go there even if they offered free work. Which they should anyway. But it's your car your choice.

So what's the issue here, is the belt noisy or you have some issues about the work done?.

Tony.

It's easy enough to check timing, pin the flywheel and check the cam sprocket alignment. Tension setting is correct for a spring tensioner - provided they removed the installation pin!

Quite possible the job was done by an old schooler and is 100% right.

ccc

thx's for the replies guys.
    Just put a pair of Michelin xm2 on the front.
    cheers

Thread Information