Which supplier has the best DS parts?
  • Help

Default Which supplier has the best DS parts?

Having read the woes of others with regard to the questionable quality of some repro parts. I have quite a few instances I can recount as I'm sure everyone does. It is exacerbated by the fact that once a poor quality piece arrives here, there is a real barrier to returning it. But, is anyone willing to submit a recommendation of any suppliers that offer good quality DS pieces?
    I know there are a few suppliers still offering NOS which is a preferred option. If you are fortunate enough to be at a European event, there is always plenty on offer. But, not all of us can just pop over to the next DS gathering in Europe. Is anyone here finding a particular supplier to offer good quality DS pieces?
    Most of the obvious places that are geared towards internet sales that have set up a decent e-commerce site seem to offer the same quality reproductions DS pieces, please don't mention them here, they offer a service at a price which is fine. But where do you think the go to shop for DS pieces that might be made to the original specs is?

Advertisement

MB

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Having read the woes of others with regard to the questionable quality of some repro parts. I have quite a few instances I can recount as I'm sure everyone does. It is exacerbated by the fact that once a poor quality piece arrives here, there is a real barrier to returning it. But, is anyone willing to submit a recommendation of any suppliers that offer good quality DS pieces?
    I know there are a few suppliers still offering NOS which is a preferred option. If you are fortunate enough to be at a European event, there is always plenty on offer. But, not all of us can just pop over to the next DS gathering in Europe. Is anyone here finding a particular supplier to offer good quality DS pieces?
    Most of the obvious places that are geared towards internet sales that have set up a decent e-commerce site seem to offer the same quality reproductions DS pieces, please don't mention them here, they offer a service at a price which is fine. But where do you think the go to shop for DS pieces that might be made to the original specs is?

MB
    Hi Michael,
    I don't think there is an answer, as you say there are a few suppliers that offer NOS but their stocks are dwindling. I still keep a watchful eye on Ebay, more so Europe where a few sellers offer genuine NOS, some willing to ship to Aus.

The repro stuff would mostly be sourced from the same suppliers and we can be thankful that if a genuine part can't be sourced some of the repro stuff will keep our cars on the road. Any of the rubber profiles I now treat as suspect, cleaning and putting old genuine rubber back into service is a far better option.

I see the same stories on the OS forums, most recent complaint of repro has been wheel nuts failing - scary

I guess with critical hydraulic components becoming more difficult to source, these are the parts we need to ensure we have as spares, some of the BVH stuff is now almost impossible, even if you are in the know - most everything else can be restored one way or another.

Not much help. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information