Changing Xantia Speedometer
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Changing Xantia Speedometer

Default Changing Xantia Speedometer

Hi

Any Idea that how I can calibrate a Xantia V6 240km/h speedometer on My 2.0 liter Xantia that works right and shows true speed, one of my friends changed his speedometer and when he is on 240km/h GPS shows 228Km/h. in fact speedometer works like 220km/h ones and end of speedometer is still 220.

Advertisement

Hi there Houtan, as far as I know the speedo takes it's measurement from the transmission output... so you should only use a speedo from a donor car which had the same transmission. The motor would make no difference... They put different transmissions on different cars with different motors...
    They have to match.. you cannot re-calibrate them.
    If you are changing speedos over because one is erattic, look at the connections under magnification on the printed circuit... you might just have to re-solder them , like I did. Hasn't played up since... cheers...

Thanks George, A 2.0i 16V Xantia technically never can reach 240km/h, I just want to change whole instrumental panel with 240km/h speedometers panels ones because they are better looking also they have oil temperature gauge. but it is important for me that it shows speed truly. this 240 km/h ones was installed on 2.0i Turbo and 3.0 V6 24v, I want to find a 2.0i Turbo gearbox speedometer sensor and test it if works truly on my gear box but also don`t know if I must do something with Lexia for calibrating or not.

Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    As the speedo is electronically driven, I would not say "you cannot re-calibrate them" I certainly would not say it three times

I do not know so this is a guess, please note ! It is probable that the calibration for the different model is done in the software. Much cheaper than hard parts. Any one like to look into Lexia or Diabox and see what may be there.
    Other wise a simple electronic device may do the job. I am looking into a similar re-calibration for my Mercedes Sprinter speedo.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

If the speedo is electronic Silicon Chip magazine had an article on a recalibration device for speedos, Jaycar have kits I think. Would not work on the older mechanical drive speedo tho.

Regards

agd123

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agd123 View Post
    If the speedo is electronic Silicon Chip magazine had an article on a recalibration device for speedos, Jaycar have kits I think. Would not work on the older mechanical drive speedo tho.
    Regards
    agd123
    Hi
    Here is the electronic kit to adjust a speedo or other digital meter.
    CORRECTOR SPEEDO MODULE | Car Access Accessories | Car Electronic Access & Accessories | Automotive & Mobile Security | PRODUCTS | AA0376 | Jaycar Electronics

If you can handle a soldering iron and find the correct connection, either before the ECU or before the speedo meter then it should work. I intend to fit one to my Mercedes bus.
    No mechanical drive on any of those Citroens.
    Jaahn

PS UPDATE. This kit or module is no longer available from Jaycar even though it is still on their website. Bugger !!
    I have not found any other kit supplier yet but have the circuit. Silicon Chip magazine has an updated circuit and supplies some major parts from their web store.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 1st May 2015 at 10:23 AM.

Hi Jaahn , I realised that was a stupid comment so I deleted it.
    I guess others have needed to re-calibrate or they would not have designed a calibration circuit. I should have realised this would have been likely.
    cheers...
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Jaahn , I realised that was a stupid comment so I deleted it.
    I guess others have needed to re-calibrate or they would not have designed a calibration circuit. I should have realised this would have been likely.
    cheers...
    Hi George 1/8th
    Well we all make mistakes !! Actually the manufacturers make many as well. That's why I want to change my Mercs speedo calibration. It reads under by 10%. A booking is a possibility so worth the effort to fix.

For an update. I have decided to just buy a ready made unit. There are lots available out there for digital speedos when you look. More expensive, up to just ridiculous prices. I will buy one from a supplier that is in the hunter area. I could not find a complete kit so easier to pay twice as much and save the time fiddling around. "Time poor" currently as I waste too much on the computer forums
    Jaahn
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information