Removing 2004 C5 Estate roof rails.
  • Help

Default Removing 2004 C5 Estate roof rails.

Just wondering if anyone has information on how to remove the roof rails (including channel covers) from a 2004 C5 Estate. I need to check seals etc as I expect a water leak in the rails. A parts list, exploded diagram, website or pictures would be helpful.

Been raining for a good 24 hours here in Bathurst and after work I noticed drops of water on the front outside corner of the passenger seat and a water stain and drips on the headliner forward of the passenger door arch near the securing point of the sun visor. Outside, the front securing point of the roof rail seems to be directly above this wet patch.

Advertisement

Do not think it is related to the sunroof drains as the drips are too high in the roof.

Thanks.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger!

Have you checked the sunroof Drains? Don't discount this as the water can wick its way along before making itself evident.
    Connector loose may be all that it is - reconnecting will usually be sufficient.
    Or a simple accumulation of gunk in the drain causing a restriction and back up of water - wiper snipper cord poked down can sometimes free an obstruction or a short blast of compressed air, but not too much as you don't want to blow the whole lot.

My Haynes book of lies does not have info on the roof rails, sorry and as mine does not have them can't help you otherwise.
    Hope the other is of some help
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Re think on the issue, thanks Peter. Looks like the front passenger sunroof drain is blocked either very high or backed up nearly right to the top. Able to pour a little water in the channel. Not a drop going down the drain hole. Drivers side runs freely.
    Is the outlet behind the wheel arch cover on the C5?

Will try a light line this evening. If it is not raining. Let you know how I get on.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Tadpole

Yep, it'll be one or more if the s/r drains blocked is my take too.
    One for each corner if I recall correctly. Check them all. Maybe a Spider has taken up residency in there!.

I had the same problem and I was sure that it was not the drain holes until I was parked on a hill one rainy day and very little (if any) water came in.

You do not need to remove any thing to fix.

You will need a high tensile wire (push pull cable say from a lawn mower carby), fold about 12mm of the end so the it does not damage the drain line, fill the gutter with a bit of water and work your way down.

Best regards

JAJEA

Had a chance to put some warm soapy water into the sunroof drain channel and work 1.6 metres of wiper snipper cord down the drain pipe this afternoon. No water flowed down the drain at all. Seems as though the blockage is 1.6 metres down the pipe. Possibly at the drain outlet behind the wheel arc inner cover. Will have to wait until I get the time to get the cover off to check.
    Tested the rear drains when parked on the driveway slope. Rear passenger side runs freely but no flow from the rear on the driver's side, not sure how to access those rear drain holes (they seem to be way under the roof line). I have no leaks in the rear though, so at this point in time it is not a concern.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Wiper snipper cord too thick. High tensile wire does the trick. The flat bit at the end as suggested can be rotated to whilst worked back and forth to loosen up the clogged drain. Thicker than lawn mower push pull high tensile wire cable is better - you can get substantial push on the cable (that's why push pull controls are used) to loosen the obstruction.

There is no need to pull things apart until the above does not work.

Regards,

JAJEA

Quote Originally Posted by BallinaOB View Post
    Had a chance to put some warm soapy water into the sunroof drain channel and work 1.6 metres of wiper snipper cord down the drain pipe this afternoon. No water flowed down the drain at all. Seems as though the blockage is 1.6 metres down the pipe. Possibly at the drain outlet behind the wheel arc inner cover. Will have to wait until I get the time to get the cover off to check.
    Tested the rear drains when parked on the driveway slope. Rear passenger side runs freely but no flow from the rear on the driver's side, not sure how to access those rear drain holes (they seem to be way under the roof line). I have no leaks in the rear though, so at this point in time it is not a concern.

Tadpole

I'd try compressed air, that's what we use.
    Most blockages clear with it. Use a nozzle gun to inject it. The water being below any level will fill up for sure, and it will start again!.

Thread Information