I'm a Real Novice, So BE Gentle
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I'm a Real Novice, So BE Gentle

1000+ Posts

Default I'm a Real Novice, So BE Gentle

I have decided to do the restoration of my 1952 Light 15 myself (With a lot of help from long suffering mates.)
    I have a "Brooklands" Repair Manual( In fact, I have two if anyone's interested ), but it's bloody short on detail.
    My first question, and believe me, there'll be others, is:
    Where are the towing points, front and rear??
    Answers , rude or otherwise, to the nong below.
    Ta.
    Jim

Advertisement

addo likes this.

Jim,

You need to get yourself electronic copies of as many as the original Citroen documents. Then spend some time reading them.

After market manuals for such quirky vehicles are as useful as udders on a bull in my experience.

Along the way there is almost unlimited help available on AF. I'm not knowledgeable about Cits of any type so I let experts answer your questions.

And.. all the very best with your "project".

cheers

Rob

Fellow Frogger

The 'Brooklands' manuals are sometimes condensed reprints of the factory books.
    Download the factory manuals and parts books published by Slough from:
    https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/
    and you can then chase paper versions if you prefer.

For a car of uncertain body condition, tow via the suspension.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm glad that you've been talked into restoring a car that you actually own.
    I'm sure that you have some history of the car that you can share.

Of all the cars that are identified as French that would have to be

Just below a Renault 4 ��

What a fantastic project,
    I hope it doesn't bite too hard and that the forum gives you the will and the bits to get it done

I would tow from from one of the lower link arms. (bottom suspension arms). Ask away. You will have plenty of questions and will get answers. They aren't that complex and there are plenty of minds here that have done it all a 100 times. Enjoy the project.
    addo likes this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I would love to see this project car!

Icon6

G'day,
    why not use a trailer ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Hi Jim,
    The Tractions do not have any towing points built in. They never needed them when new

The lower suspension arms on the front end are substantial and good for towing and tieing. The front bumper bar is a bit suspect as it has usually been bent and restraightened and the bracket horns are shot ! They will bend anyway at the attachments. The front suspension crossmember is hefty and good.

At the rear the bumper brackets are OK if the attachments are not too rusty. The rear axle beam itself is a flexible arrangement and must not be used at all and not for tieing down either. It can be bent easily ! The suspension flat arms just inside the wheels are substantial as are the piviot areas of the torsion bars there and the big cross tube.
    Good luck John (jaahn)
    PS I have a copy of the electronic manual I could send if you need it.

As Jaahn indicates definitely never jack from the middle of the rear suspension beam . Use the jacking points at the rear near the wheels. Ok to centralise jack on the front cradle altho I prefer to jack under the point where the torsion bars / link arms /silent blocs, intersect.
    Also careful if trying to bump start car. The Diff can break.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I always get the impression that a number of people who cheer on a restoration project, are the same voices who opine that a fully restored car for sale, is overpriced. Of course I may be misapprehending...
    jaahn and Peter O like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Excellent choice of car .... Join the local car club, they'll probably have the hub pullers and various other pullers you need to pull a traction apart. Almost all parts appear to be available somewhere. Gerry P is one of the traction experts on aussiefrogs. I'm sure he'll have many suggestions if you post any questions here.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Jim,

I would a good idea to get up to speed on how to post images on AF.

It's quite easy and I'm willing to take you through the procedure if you wish.

Advice is i easier to give when an image is posted.

1000+ Posts

I don't own a camera and the one on my phone has been disabled.
    Sorta buggered for bricks, I'd reckon, but thanks for the offer

It's the first tool you should be sorting, then. Seriously. Even before moving the car.

I'd suggest a used Samsung smartphone, $200 should be adequate. Get disciplined with dumping pictures onto your computer and filing them.

1000+ Posts

That sort of stuff fills me with dread!!
    I stopped being interested in technology when I no longer had to fix all the gear essential to an almost decent Vet practice.

X-rays, anaesthetics, auto-analysers etc------no prob, but that's where it stops!! (Or, at least, where I did.)

Old dogs, new tricks!! Also singular lack of interest.

It's simply the cheapest good digital camera I know of, and a simpler way to upload pictures than using an "official" camera.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    ...Old dogs, new tricks!! ....
    Operant conditioning
    we'll click, and flip you a treat every step of the way

(I actually picked up how to fly one of those new fangled phones way quicker than expected after swearing for years I didn't need one)
    addo likes this.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Fellow Frogger!

Agree that these days a digital camera to record your disassembly process is invaluable, well we all can have one of those moments where we forget which part goes where. Also getting assistance from the internet is made many times easier and more accurate with a few photos to show the way.
    You don't need to go for a phone either, we just picked up a small digital camera from Officeworks for my Mother in law for her holidays. She is approaching 80 yet managed it quite well. Originally well over $100 it was on special so with a cover and a couple of memory cards (they replace the film you would be familiar with) it cost under $30. For others out there it is a GE with 3x optical (zoom) and 14 megapixels (detail in the picture, the higher the number the more detail there is), and is about the size of a mobile phone. Hooks up to the computer with a usb cord and easy to point and shoot.
    There will be others around too but a simple point and shoot is really all you need. Uses rechargeable AA batteries too.
    If you can rum the computer you would be able to run one of these. Any problems get you local friendly teenager to help you out 0 in my experience they love being able to show old farts like me what to do!!
    pug206gti likes this.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

I'm opposed to redundancies; it's my belief that many people do not realise what a handy camera they already have in a smartphone, if you combine these two you end up carrying one less device. The other beauty is sending files from your mobile phone with the Bluetooth wireless connection, is a whole lot simpler than "docking" a digital camera.

The ability to record with sound is another bonus, if you have an odd noise to share.

Fellow Frogger!

True addo, but the op said the camera on the phone had been disabled so hence maybe the need to just replace the camera part. Just offering a cheap alternative to a $200 second hand phone.

Also personally I find when poking around in messy oily areas with greasy hands, I would rather use a cheap camera (which can record video as well) as the grief caused when it slips from your fingers will be minimised as compared to your smart phone as it goes plop in the oil tray
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    ... the Bluetooth ...
    Is that a kind of lizard? Is it poisonous?

Numerous digital photos have proven invaluable when trying to work out how some 'obvious at the time of dismantling' part really should go back together. They also save a lot of time instead of the old way of hand notes and diagrams. They still have use, but a few photos will save a lot of time and be more accurate than a basic sketch.
    Peter O likes this.

Once I'd tied myself in knots with backfiring no-starts (which in turn blew crap into the carby's idling solenoid valve), this picture saved me. The yellow dash on an ignition wire revealed the wire locations on the distributor cap.

I'm a Real Novice, So BE Gentle-20150208_195553.jpg

That wasn't even why I'd taken the photo; it was a more of a general "before degreasing" picture.

I'm a Real Novice, So BE Gentle-distributor_clean_sml.jpg

Essentially, though, the first photo gave me confidence to try that wire configuration (which then worked fine).
    Peter O and Australdi like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

This thread is going to be really boring without pictures to keep us interested Take a look at the thread in my signature for example.... enough piccies to drive everyone crazy and burn up all your bandwidth for the month!

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I hope Jim's OK. It's not that far from him, where there's been really nasty flooding.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=exvet;1346155]I have decided to do the restoration of my 1952 Light 15 myself (With a lot of help from long suffering mates.)
    I have a "Brooklands" Repair Manual( In fact, I have two if anyone's interested ), but it's bloody short on detail.
    My first question, and believe me, there'll be others, is:
    Where are the towing points, front and rear??
    Answers , rude or otherwise, to the nong below.
    Ta.
    Jim

Hello Jim, Good luck with the restoration. I can see how you might be thinking that it all gets too much with all this smart phone digital this and that. All these people mean well and for the young generation it is all second nature. To some of us it is just not that necessary - - or at least not yet. They are all "good guys" and very clever and WILL help you out whether you have the mod-cons or not. I understand where they are coming from but for some of us the electronic world isn't as attractive as it is to others.
    The old way of asking questions will work just fine. Not as good as the mod-con way but maybe our brains won't get too ruffled and we get there in the end.

All the best, John Paas.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information