Ds21 - more problems
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ds21 - more problems

Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 Ds21 - more problems

After having the roof off to fit a new seal and headlining, the radio aerial does not work now. I treated it with care but it is not possible to just fit a new lead. So, if anyone has a good s/h one I would be interested.

Advertisement

The Jaeger clock stopped working after I tried to start the engine with a very flat battery. Is it possible to prise the clock out from the front of the dash or do I have to remove the dash?

Lastly, the interior lights have never worked for me because there is no power to them or to the door switches. I understand that this not unusual. I suspect that I do have to remove the dash to fix this?

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Sounds like "usual" DS issues. check for continuity from the radio to the aeriel, I'd be suprised if it's the wiring that is the issue. Interior lights earth through the door pin. They get rusty and stop working. Whip one out and earth the wire behind it. If you have light, clean or replace the door pins and you should be fine (these fancy modern DS's that have fancy interior lighting... mine don't even have lights when the doors are opened ). Push the clock "set" button a few times, I bet you can get it started if you play with it. Once it's running, it'll probably work as a normal DS clock (ie: never be on the right time, a non-working clock it at least on the right time twice a day).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    After having the roof off to fit a new seal and headlining, the radio aerial does not work now. I treated it with care but it is not possible to just fit a new lead. So, if anyone has a good s/h one I would be interested.

The Jaeger clock stopped working after I tried to start the engine with a very flat battery. Is it possible to prise the clock out from the front of the dash or do I have to remove the dash?

Lastly, the interior lights have never worked for me because there is no power to them or to the door switches. I understand that this not unusual. I suspect that I do have to remove the dash to fix this?

Don
    Don,
    Is it possible the radio aerial has just dislodged from the headunit? You can just replace the cable but I can't see why it would have been damaged. I have a new roof antenna spare if needed.

The clock can be removed easily, it's just a press fit into the dash - two connections. They are problematic, there have been a few threads on the forum that may help to get yours going again. You may get away with just cleaning those two connections for a more positive power feed.

Do your interior lights work via the switch on the dash? Try pulling the door switches on the inner 'A' pillar, careful not to lose the wiring into the void as you remove the switches. Again cleaning the contacts might be all that is required.

Good luck, let us know how you go. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Don-

For your courtesy lights, don't strip the dash out just yet. There is a connection just under/to the side of the passenger side air box between front and rear, but that seldom goes bad. IIRC, we were the only ones to get switched power in the later cars, and that was because of the seat belt warning. Yours should be switched ground, with the B+ continuous to the center contact (Pallas) or the upper contact (all others with the ID style lamps). The switches are merely 3 different ways to give a ground path and turn the lamps on.

Unlikely it's a blown fuse- there are several circuits fed from that one fuse, including your regulator.

My checks would be to see if you have power at the lamps. Check to see if you get ground continuity either from the bulb socket base (Pallas) or the lower contact (all others). Make sure your bulbs are good- I have seen all blown. Pull the switches from the door posts and ensure that they are fully connected. The white terminal is to your lamps, the brown is to ground. Exercise caution in getting them out: They're unusually fragile, the connections pull off too easily and they just don't like being handled. Pull the switch from the dash and check to make sure it's connected. The terminals here are black to the lamp ground, brown to body ground. If you pull the lamps away from the headliner, brown becomes the lamp ground and black is power in.

For any continuity checks, pull all of the bulbs from the circuit, or else you will be chasing your tail endlessly.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

As Chris states, the clock is just a push in fit, you remove it by gently lifting the bottom edge of the clock up, try to exert a little upward pressure as you do so.

Here's a litte write up I wrote which maybe of interest: My Pallas:: Jaegar clock renewal
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

If you remove the ashtray, you can easily push the clock out from behind.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the prompt responses and ideas. I will be in Sydney for a few days but will start on trying to fix these little problems ASAP.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Thread Information