My turn for a new car.
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My turn for a new car.

Default My turn for a new car.

Not that long ago I was asking this forum about a C3 or C4 for my daughter.
    Now its my turn - my beloved 1993 BMW 525i Touring had its front ripped off by a trucks rear tailight bar this morning. I'm expecting the car to be written off by my insurance company. Damn I loved this car.

So what should I know about a C5 station wagon please?
    Likes, dislikes, some of the common problems and what to test and look for when buying please?
    I'm stuck in the under$10k bracket and looks like around 50,000 - 100,000klms on a young C5 - around 2009 or so.
    I need the big room in the back for my machines which the C5 obviously has. The self levelling will be good as had my BMW (same system as Citroen but on rear wheels only).

Any advice welcomed.

PS: haven't purchased the daughters car yet. Still looking. Probably won't be a Citroen to be truthful - she's leaning more to the A-class Benz, 118i BMW or a Suzuki ST4 at the moment.

Advertisement

My turn for a new car.-img_20150415_114630.jpg
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

1000+ Posts

Make sure it's the current body X7 model, a far better car, fewer probs. The 2.0 HDI is a good engine with minimum hassles. Starts from 2008. Comfort models have full hydraulics and have most of the fruit. Exclusives cost more for even more fruit.

There have been a couple of tourer threads lately.

Citroen have petrol C4s at $20k driveaway at the moment. Nice cars. They have been unsold stock for a while.

Nasty tweak there. I have recurring dreams exactly that accident happens to me, in my 605, when a large tilt tray swings wide in a roundabout.

With the C5, you absolutely need to know how to run a Diagbox or Lexia kit (and own it, of course). On the bright side, it's a good time to buy - the market seems quite flat.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Make sure it's the current body X7 model, a far better car, fewer probs. The 2.0 HDI is a good engine with minimum hassles. Starts from 2008. Comfort models have full hydraulics and have most of the fruit. Exclusives cost more for even more fruit.

There have been a couple of tourer threads lately.

Citroen have petrol C4s at $20k driveaway at the moment. Nice cars. They have been unsold stock for a while.
    In Vic there's some dealers down under $16.5k for the mid-range C4 Seduction.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Nasty tweak there. I have recurring dreams exactly that accident happens to me, in my 605, when a large tilt tray swings wide in a roundabout.

With the C5, you absolutely need to know how to run a Diagbox or Lexia kit (and own it, of course). On the bright side, it's a good time to buy - the market seems quite flat.
    Hi Addo.
    does this imply that the C5 has lots of fault codes or electrical problems, or is your advice based soley on routine maintenance issues?
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

Little bit of each way; if you buy one that needs a second key, for example - you are then set to program it in yourself. Plus with the rash of 307s forgetting their name and address, I cannot see the problem as being too far away for equivalent age CitroŽns.

Stuff like depressurising the suspension or resetting the ride height is simpler with the right kit, also the "health checks" where you basically look at the live data from your engine cold and as it warms up.

Fellow Frogger!

I bought a 2008 hdi sx 16v almost a year ago with 120,000kms for a little less than your budget amount. I have done 35,000 fault free kms in it. It is my first ever auto and we love it.

The x7 looks a little better and seems to have more gear but you may need to add $3 - $4,000 just to buy one.

If you do country Km's the x7 is great. Very economical and wonderful cruiser. I think that a city car just needs to be manoeuvrable. and easy to park. What are your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5
    I think that a city car just needs to be manoeuvrable. and easy to park.
    A non-tradesman "city car" needs rapid acceleration two up, load space to just fit a filing cabinet (descriptive analogy), excellent visibility and must stop on a decimal point. The little cars driven by pathology firms sort of summarise this - Yaris and the like. It also helps explain the popularity of current models Swift. I doubt that any of them return much better than 5l/100 in real service.

If you need a wagon, I would go with the C5 V1.2. i.e. the facelift of the first. This means you can get a 2.0l diesel with the AM6 transmission and a wagon built to Citroen tradition. (They have the mould for the prototype, management gives them the size of the car they want, then get a big saw and saw the off the rear to suit. Was used on the CX too).

You can then spend a little less than your budget and have bit in store for maintenance. A point to note, you very very rarely hear about the cars that are motoring along reliably on Aussiefrogs. Do regular and proper maintenance and they should serve you well.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hey Addo,

When you speak of Diagbox, do you mean those little code reader kits you see on ebay, or just the software to load on a laptop.?

Can you recommend any, don't mind paying for something that works. At the moment I only use Torque pro on the tablet, but only good to read and clear codes. Can you get thee real stuff as you mention to turn on/off items such as hydractive 3+, drl's etc ?

Cheers
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

PS: haven't purchased the daughters car yet. Still looking. Probably won't be a Citroen to be truthful - she's leaning more to the A-class Benz, 118i BMW or a Suzuki ST4 at the moment.

Hi ss2115,

Sorry to be off the subject but couldn't help give a quick warning of the A-class, as a Mercedes enthusiast as well as a Citroen enthusiast I would be very careful of the A-class semi autos as they can be troublesome and very expensive to rectify when they go wrong.

Icon7

Bonsoir Phillippe,

By Diagbox, I mean the pirate version of the dealer system. What PSA have done is to combine Lexia and Peugeot Planet into one "shell" from which most vehicles can be then selected. It also covers some newer cars where support explicitly via Lexia or Peugeot Planet, was not available.

The best seller to buy from seems to vary, you would do well to sniff around for complaints before choosing explicitly one vendor. Several people here have experienced firmware that will not upgrade or activate to match the most current downloads. I have wanted to establish another laptop for myself, for a while, but am afraid too!

I would love to see a thread or subforum for helping everyone with diagnostic gear but as it would implicitly be supporting piracy we can't drag AF into it; the result is most installations need to be sourced by a mixture of public questions, members exchanging information via PM and also surfing the public domain.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Bonsoir Phillippe,

By Diagbox, I mean the pirate version of the dealer system. What PSA have done is to combine Lexia and Peugeot Planet into one "shell" from which most vehicles can be then selected. It also covers some newer cars where support explicitly via Lexia or Peugeot Planet, was not available.

The best seller to buy from seems to vary, you would do well to sniff around for complaints before choosing explicitly one vendor. Several people here have experienced firmware that will not upgrade or activate to match the most current downloads. I have wanted to establish another laptop for myself, for a while, but am afraid too!

I would love to see a thread or subforum for helping everyone with diagnostic gear but as it would implicitly be supporting piracy we can't drag AF into it; the result is most installations need to be sourced by a mixture of public questions, members exchanging information via PM and also surfing the public domain.
    Merci Addo,

I might have a looksee at some of the French websites, and report here as to what the guys are saying there.
    Good idea to start a sub-forum for just that.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

1000+ Posts

Plenty of websites describe what other people are doing. Quelle horreur! Add some dudgeon! That's how we all learn.

1000+ Posts

One further point of clarification for Philippe - the Diagbox system (aka Lexia/Proxia/Peugeot Planet) is a combination of hardware and software. They work together & one part is useless without the other. The system is specifically for PSA cars, so if you are looking at an ad & it mentions any brand other than Peugeot or Citroen (or DS ), it is not a Diagbox system.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    Not that long ago I was asking this forum about a C3 or C4 for my daughter.
    Now its my turn - my beloved 1993 BMW 525i Touring had its front ripped off by a trucks rear tailight bar this morning. I'm expecting the car to be written off by my insurance company. Damn I loved this car.

So what should I know about a C5 station wagon please?
    Likes, dislikes, some of the common problems and what to test and look for when buying please?
    I'm stuck in the under$10k bracket and looks like around 50,000 - 100,000klms on a young C5 - around 2009 or so.
    I need the big room in the back for my machines which the C5 obviously has. The self levelling will be good as had my BMW (same system as Citroen but on rear wheels only).

Any advice welcomed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150415_114630.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	68853
    um, if you liked the '93 525i Touring that much, then why wouldn't you simply hunt out a good used example of the same car? Why switch to the C5? I would has thought that the BMW might be in your price bracket. Mind you, the kms would likely be more than 100 k.

cheers! Peter

cheers! Peter

Get the safari wagon finished as a tax deduction and use it as the company vehicle?
    KB

What became of the quest?

Thread Information