DS Fuel Line
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By michaelr

Thread: DS Fuel Line

Default DS Fuel Line

I have read with interest the comments on a previous fuel line thread about how to replace the nylon with repro, rubber etc. and they all make sense. However I cannot remove the old one. I have managed about 1" and cannot get it to move any further. Am I missing something here, or must I simply proceed with force.

Advertisement

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Errol

do you need to remove it?

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, unless the nylon (rilsan I think it is known as) hose is damaged in some way don't bother. It seems very very tough and hardy.

i understand it is secured at several places along (inside) the chassis members so it would be a major job to replace. It is not a matter of just pulling it through from the front or back.

The more regular rubber bits on each end are another matter. They do deteriorate more readily and would be candidates for replacement. Some of the bendy rubber parts are available as repros on the European sites. For example, the Franzose "fuel tank connection kit".

Regards,
    Leconte

ps in my experience "proceed with force" is a short cut to sorrow, expense and regret, especially wrt Citroens....
    Last edited by Leconte; 14th April 2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling rilsan
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

remember the rilsan tubing runs the entire course from inside tank to fuel line going onto pump, replacing is a fiddly job especially when you get to the clamp that goes on chassis front BEHIND the suspension arms. That should be sufficient information to deter you from replacing unless totally necessary! If you want to get the black rubber hose off tank you'll probably want to cut it in conjunction with easing out the rilsan tubing from pick up, wriggle s bit,cut the hose on metal pipe ,only cut it ALONG the length of hose and gently, slowly and patiently, do NOT cut across the hose because then you will chop through the rilsan, clear hard plastic tubing.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 14th April 2015 at 09:45 PM.

Sorry I was not very clear. I am trying to remove the rilsan from the fuel tank so I can remove the tank from the car. I have managed to release the black rubber hose from the pick up to expose the rilsan tubing about 1", but this is as far as I can get it. No amount of wriggling, twisting or pulling is moving it any further. Asking around locally I believe this is not uncommon, although no one knows the reason - other than age. Oy vey!!

You have already removed the filter from end of the rislan tube inside the tank, yes? (accessible from below car)

After getting access to both end of the conduit that positions the rislan inside the tank spray lube from both ends and work the tubing until free.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    After getting access to both end of the conduit that positions the rislan inside the tank
    How could I do that?
    My tube is probably damaged.
    Can I take it out and above all put it back in without opening the tank?

No, you must open the tank, but NOT by cutting! There is an access plug.

Again I ask, have you removed the filter from the bottom end of the Rislan?

From under the car remove the big brass plug from the right hand side of the tank. Inside is the filter. Remove it and you will see the end of the plastic tube projecting beyond the conduit. If that end is damaged in any way it will not pull through from above.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    There is an access plug.
    Referring to, say, this picture, where would that access plug be?

Would be in the square area on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Would be in the square area on the right.
    Ok, I'll take the whole thing off and have a look.
    BUT...
    https://youtu.be/izTyOVVBBQw?t=50s

;∑)

Thread Information