C5 X7 gone mute.
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: C5 X7 gone mute.

Default C5 X7 gone mute.

On a touring holiday at the moment, currently in Brisbane.
    This evening the C5 has decided to go mute. Stereo CDs are playing but no sound. No sound when using parking sensors. No sound when putting gear lever into reverse. Changed volume on dial and via sterring wheel controls as well as pressing and repressing mute on the wheel. Is there a seperate fuse for 'volume'? Stereo seems to work, just no sound. Anyone else has a similar problem which they have fixed. Travelling for the next week, wife will not be happy with no Stereo to listen to.

Advertisement

Thanks.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Have you got a non-genuine hands-free kit?

No addo, just the standard set up. I was using the iPhone hands free earlier this afternoon, but it was working just after that. Will check fuse F14 tomorrow, amongst other things it is responsible for the HIFI amplifier ECU. Car across the road in hotel car park at the moment so I will leave it till the morning.
    thanks for the quick reply post.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Looks like I may have fixed this.
    Had a thought and had to check it out, so across the road to the car park. Bought a USB charger today, a small single cigarette lighter one. Could not remember removing it from the socket in the rear of the centre console. Checked and it was still pluged in, unplugged it and stereo volume etc all back working as per normal.
    Cheers.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

My X7 doesn't make a sound when I put it into reverse. What kind of sound is it ? ie electronic or more like the early c5 somehow like the "fasten seat belts" in a plane ?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Well that's bizarre! My C5 X7 did exactly the same thing this afternoon. I remembered this post and hoped you had found a solution.
    I read your solution, unplugged the cheap USB charger I recently bought from Supercheap ($5), switched on the ignition and sound was OK again.
    Very strange!
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

UFO

Weird! Will keep that in mind.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Could these cheap USB chargers be creating electrical noise that the audio system interprets incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    My X7 doesn't make a sound when I put it into reverse. What kind of sound is it ? ie electronic or more like the early c5 somehow like the "fasten seat belts" in a plane ?
    Not quite as harsh as the earlier sound, toned down slightly. It is an electronic sound just the same. My X7 is a 2008 V6 exclusive if that makes a difference.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

1000+ Posts

Default Wierd, just wierd ?

Quote Originally Posted by BallinaOB View Post
    Looks like I may have fixed this.
    Had a thought and had to check it out, so across the road to the car park. Bought a USB charger today, a small single cigarette lighter one. Could not remember removing it from the socket in the rear of the centre console. Checked and it was still pluged in, unplugged it and stereo volume etc all back working as per normal.
    Cheers.
    Hi
    Who said these hi-tech cars are too clever by 'arf. That is seriously wierd

It would be interesting to put the Lexia on it and see what it says it is doing ?? 'Sorry can't say cause I am mute'
    Jaahn

Extra information for those interested.
    The USB charger is an Aerpro 2.1A charge USB car charger. I bought from Supercheap for $14. USBM21 Ultra compact charger 2.1a | Aerpro
    I have used it since without issue. Plugging it in with the car running and all the sound works. Then Removing it when stopping the car.
    Have a feeling the problem was caused by leaving it plugged in for a few hours when the car was parked and it was still drawing charge (it has an outer ring which glows blue and was reasonably warm when I finally removed it). May have drawn enought charge to shut down the amplifer ECU. Was only moving the car across the road to carpark when I noticed the lack of sound. Not far enough to put any real extra charge back into the battery.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

I drove my car 20 km's with no sound. Car was parked for 10mins. Prior to then, the sound was working fine.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    My X7 has front and rear parking sensors which I leave activated unless in a car wash.
    Checked today, if I have them activated I get the 'bong' when putting car into reverse. Even if I am in an open space, i.e no obstacles. If I deactivate the parking sensors I get no reverse 'bong'.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Who said these hi-tech cars are too clever by 'arf. That is seriously wierd

It would be interesting to put the Lexia on it and see what it says it is doing ?? 'Sorry can't say cause I am mute'
    Jaahn
    Reminds me of my early CADD days when we quite regularly saw this message scroll across the screen.
    "Cannot report error due to error in error messaging system".

SF

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BallinaOB View Post
    My X7 has front and rear parking sensors which I leave activated unless in a car wash.
    Checked today, if I have them activated I get the 'bong' when putting car into reverse. Even if I am in an open space, i.e no obstacles. If I deactivate the parking sensors I get no reverse 'bong'.
    Thanks Anthony, yes I checked and I get the same. That was the reason it was mute as I didn't have the sensors turned on.
    I only have sensors at the back though, being the "comfort" version
    I once had a 2003 c5 and the sound when reversing was more like a "fasten seat belts" sound.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Fellow Frogger!

The value of Aussiefrogs - speakers stopped working today, so thought I had better check fuses etc. Then thought that prior to doing that, I should check on AF to see if anyone else had suffered a similar problem. Found earlier in this thread that a USB charger had been the cause of the problem. Removed my USB charger and speakers now work again!

Still not sure how a USB charger can impact on speakers, but I am happy that removing it seems to have fixed the problem

Sounds to me like you have discovered a software gremlin. The BSI feed to the socket must be the same as to the HIFI amp so when it shuts down, it takes out both. However when the ignition is re-enabled it must not restore this power line until the aux socket load is disconnected. At least the workaround is easy.

I have a power plug with small LED plugged into the aux socket in the boot of mine for charging the fridge battery. Doesn't seem to have any ill effects as it only pulls about 5mA. But the red LED is on all the time which bothers people who look in through the tailgate window!

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

I don't have a C5 diagram to hand, but I do have a DS3 diagram, which is likely to be similar.

The USB port and radio connect to the "portable multimedia unit". It, the radio (which drives the speakers), the multifunction screen and the instrument panel all share a common power supply from the BSI.

Charging through the USB port passes current through the multimedia unit chip, not directly onto the common supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    But the red LED is on all the time which bothers people who look in through the tailgate window!
    Hey Ken have you eaten the tailgate sliding parcel shelf?
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger!

By way of update, our C5 continues to periodically lose sound (from the radio, parking sensors etc). In an earlier post, I thought this was resulting from use of a USB charger (as others had experienced) but I have since found it occurs even when the charger is not connected. One fix is to turn the car off for 5 to 10 minutes (at least) and restart. If turned off for short intervals, the problem persists.
    The same kind of problem (and fix) has occurred with the air conditioner.

Both our C5 go mute occasionally too; - no music, parking sensors, seat belt / door open warning, nothing! Not a sound from the speakers.
    Same as for turnbull151, turn the car off for 10 mins then restart and the sound works perfectly.
    An annoying software glitch, that's in overseas markets as well.
    Seems only to happen on either car when there is an active Bluetooth connection.

Sounds like you have to wait for the BSI to have a little sleep to get over the audio glitch. I don't have that problem with my boring RD4 radio and the almost useless Yatour adaptor I try to use for USB music and Bluetooth.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Sounds like you have to wait for the BSI to have a little sleep to get over the audio glitch. I don't have that problem with my boring RD4 radio and the almost useless Yatour adaptor I try to use for USB music and Bluetooth.
    Ken, both cars have the same radio (the single DIN). That's the RD4, isn't it?
    The displays all work, volume display goes up and down, change stations, tracks and the display shows the correct and changing information, so the head unit is functioning as it should.
    Possibly the stereo amp goes into "protection mode" thus producing no sound, but its just a guess.
    If the same problem were to happen on a Benz, the dealer would brush it away with something like "the (zee) radio is in regeneration mode" ie: having a sleep :-) then there would be a $500 bill for the advice

We have a Yatour in the boss' (wife) Peugeot. Works great for us. Surprised to hear yours isn't good. What does, or doesn't, it do?

We had this issue on both C5's from the radio/stereo: if we got into the car with the phone bluetooth turned on then there was a chance, 50/50, that the audio system would not make any sound, parking sensors, warning, radio, nothing; and occasionally it would do it just at random.
    So we got into the habit of leaving bluetooth off on our phones until the car had started then everything worked ok, mostly.

Replaced the battery in one car recently and the issue seems to have gone away (touch wood :-).
    Will replace the battery in the other car next time and see if it fixes the problems there too.

Thread Information