Headlamp Globe Change C5
  • Help

Default Headlamp Globe Change C5

Just as a preamble, my understanding, and I'd love to know if I'm right, is that in France now all cars must carry replacement globes so repairs can be effected at the roadside to "improve safety". Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Advertisement

Anyway, if it is, I reckon the average C5 driver would have a serious hissy fit if one of his headlamps turned pink and purple like mine did last week. I simply cannot imagine doing this change on the roadside while traffic whizzed past with Gallic flair and garlic fumes.

The failure was interesting. The HID's normally strike with a flash, then dim slightly and warm up to a brilliant bright white over a matter of a second or so.

Last week the right hand one on Mephistopheles did the strike and flash, then grew gradually purple as it warmed up.

It was pretty, but useless as far as illuminating the path of travel.

A bit of research and delving into the Haynes manual revealed that the go seems to be to remove the front bumper completely then the lamp unit can come out and the globe can be accessed.

Chalk it up, Mr Haynes was right! As far as it goes, the instructions for removing the bumper were accurate, except they didn't mention the two little hatches that jump out when the headlamp washers are activated. A bit of poking and prodding revealed that they just clip off, allowing the bumper assembly to slide forward, or even off the car once you unplug the electrics.

Access to the headlamp is now easy and removing the old globe assembly was the work of a moment. Now that I knew exactly what I was looking for, I went shopping around the local car parts suppliers to seek a replacement.

The original was labelled "Osram Xenarc D1S 66043" and appears to be a complete globe and ignitor assembly. The cause of the empurpling was seen to be the blobby bit in the middle having become discoloured, not unlike Halogen globes do when inadvertently handled.

Anyway, after visiting Repco, Autobarn and Burson's the closest I could get was a $120 (for one globe) replacement from Narva that Burson's could order in, have it in a "cuppla days".

OK, go home, put the kettle on, fire up the computer and have a bit of a browse. A bloke in Queensland was schlepping out replacements for less than $50 each, or a pair for 70 odd. While not Osram brand, it was worth a punt, especially since I could pay an extra few skins for Express Post.

Would you believe, ordered on Monday afternoon, arrived Tuesday morning? Impressive. Quality may not be great, but time will tell.

So I've installed and reassembled and it's all working fine so far. The light appears a tad bluer than the previous one, even though it's supposed to be a 5000K globe and no higher (higher than 5000K is bluer).

I hesitated over replacing the left hand one at the same time, but decided that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", especially now I know how to access it.

Photos attached for the edification and delight of the masses, and those like minded loonies that want to do such "simple" tasks themeselves. File names of the photos should be self explanatory I hope.

Incidentally, now that I've seen inside the headlamp and how the globe assembly is mounted, I guess it might be possible to unplug the igniter connection and remove the globe in situ, however you'd need to have extremely prehensile fingers, a working knowledge of Braille and double jointed wrists. Oh, and a long tongue as such exacting tasks are never done properly without extension of the tongue to one side! Given the dearth of space between the back of the headlamp and the suspension pump on the right hand side, I reckon it's easier to remove the bumper!

Good luck and cheers, Pottsy.

Headlamp Globe Change C5-black-vs-white.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-bumper-off-2.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-bumper-off.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-headlamp-plugs.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-inside-headlamp-2.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-old-new.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-washer-cover.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-washer-cover-clipped-.jpg
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger

Fiddly to change and some people fiddle about with pliers etc.. Pink/purple = sick for sure. There are a lot of knock-offs of these apparently and there are internet guides about recognising genuine brand-name product vs the fakes.

With the front bar off, you will now have no trouble when the washer reservoir level sensor fails, which it will. You'll get a low warning when it's full.

The washer covers are expensive for what they are and fall off with a slight parking nudge. They are also painted to match the body, so it may be worth wiring them on with fine stainless wire. Clamp them in the extended position to work on them. You have the time for that sort of fiddly job! Pics for a S1, but same concept.

Headlamp Globe Change C5-c5_s1_v6_headlampwasher.jpgHeadlamp Globe Change C5-c5_s1_v6_headlampwashercoverdetail_s.jpg

jesus that is nuts. To add insult to injury - the reason headlights are generally more difficult to replace is because more emphasis on design was placed on crumple zones which compromised headlamp access - at least so I heard off a disgruntled Megane owner.

Fellow Frogger

Changing the front parking/running lamps is probably just as involved on the facelift C5.
    Much improved on the C5 X7 with easy access to the back of the headlamps.

Fellow Frogger!

A question.
    Probably silly - but I have a lifetime of those behind me!
    Did you take any precautions when handling the globes? I understand they run at really high voltages.
    Would a functional globe present more of a hazard than one that is defunct?

I'm pleased that you kept a spare ;-)

Icon6

G'day,
    and I thought the globes on the 18E were difficult to change.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Much improved on the C5 X7 with easy access
    easy? or possible? Longer fingers with an extra joint would help.

What was the wattage on the new globe. I hope it is 35 watts and not the 55 watt supa nova globes for the sake of other road users.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    A question.
    Probably silly - but I have a lifetime of those behind me!
    Did you take any precautions when handling the globes? I understand they run at really high voltages.
    Would a functional globe present more of a hazard than one that is defunct?

I'm pleased that you kept a spare ;-)
    Dave,

Like any similar globes of the "quartz" variety, you have to avoid touching the transparent surface with your fingers lest oils from the skin soak in and cause premature failure.

I believe that HID globes are also under high pressure internally, so care needs to be taken to avoid bending or stressing the glass envelope in any way. Wearing glasses is probably prudent if you're working with such things.

As far as exposure to high voltage is concerned, I really can't see how it would be an issue. The cable from ballast to igniter is a braided, and presumably shielded, one. The internal connections are just that, internal, and the pin connections on the igniter are also sort of internal in that they're inside the outer housing of the socket. (Visualise a USB connection, almost impossible to make contact with any metal contacts unless poking and prodding with poky proddy things.)

I guess it's possible for the igniter to house capacitors holding a high voltage charge, but I seriously don't see how, without the aforementioned poking and prodding, you could have them discharge into your corpus delicti.

I'm sure there're O,H & S gurus out there who will assure me that I was "playing with fire" but after 40 odd years in the power industry I am well equipped to understand and assess such risks, and I don't believe there are any.

If one is working with an igniter that allows removal and replacement of the actual globe, I suspect there could be cause for concern, but the D1S type is apparently not separatable and needs to be replaced as a complete unit.

As for getting a spare, I seriously contemplated changing them both then decided that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applied, as well as the Murphy defiance of having a spare and hopefully never needing it!

Cheers, Pottsy

PS, yes, the replacements are 35W D1S types allegedly directly compatible with the Osram Xenarc 66043.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

On the series 1 C5 I have just managed to figure out a way to successfully change the D2 Globes, without having to remove the front of the car. And to do it safely. 1. On the drivers side, disconnect the multi plug , for better access. 2. Remove the high beam cover, for better access to the wiring. 3. Remove both of the wiring connectors to the rear of the headlight assembly. 4. remove the cover for the D2 globe, and undo the connector from the back of the globe. ( because you disconnected both wiring connectors to the headlight assembly, it is now safe). Undo the wire clip , change over the bulb, re-fit the wire clip, refit the large globe connector to the rear of the globe, replace the globe covers, re-fit the wiring connectors to the headlight assembly, re-connect the multi-plug.
    On the passenger side (LHS) disconnect and remove the car Battery, for better access to the rear of the headlight assembly. Repeat the process described for the first headlight. Good luck...
    P.S. As long as you remove the wiring to the headlight , both connections, you should avoid the 28,000 volts that are used to flash the lights on...
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 3rd April 2015 at 07:23 PM.

bas

Just to answer your original question. The requirement to carry replacement globes in Europe is for globes only, not HID / Xenon lights.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Thread Information