1968 Citroen DS21 Cam Pulley Play
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1968 Citroen DS21 Cam Pulley Play

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and new to Citroen ownership but have owned many classics and have done most of my own mechanical work. Anyway, after getting my DS21 home, I was looking at the drive belts and noticed that all are somewhat slack and need adjustment. On closer inspection I found that the Cam/Main Pulley has play when I move the fan back and forth. I first though that the timing chain was slack but I noticed that the pulley moves but the nut on the end of the cam does not. I am thinking that it just may need tightening or adding a washer as it looks to have no washer behind the nut. I put a wrench on the nut and it seems tight but I don't want to put more pressure on it thinking that I may damage something. I would love to hear that there is a solution to this other than pull the motor and rebuild. Thanks.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Is the center breaking out of the pulley, I've heard this is an issue in the US where they fit aftermarket A/C to them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Spot on Shayne

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Is the center breaking out of the pulley, I've heard this is an issue in the US where they fit aftermarket A/C to them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Highly likely.
    My '74/5 DS23 Pallas which has aftermarket ( factory) Aircon fitted at time of new sale did exactly that
    Originally owned by a doctor then by me when it was less than 5 years old.
    Never been fiddled with by backyard mechanics etc.
    Developed a radial crack in the pulley steel around the shaft and the pulley literally fell off under the load of the belt tension.
    Pulley is lightweight pressed steel.
    Happened with relatively low KMs.
    Take a close look before it leaves you stranded
    Cheers
    Bob

Ooh.
    Baptism by fire.
    At least you are not on the side of the road like I was when the fire came.

I left the car, bummed home 25 miles, sourced a replacement pulley, had the center welded, got a toolbox and went back to the car a couple days later with my dad. First rodeo will take you longer than 8 seconds.
    Good luck. Nothing to be terribly fearful of in there.

Tadpole

Thanks for all the responses, I was considering that the pulley was coming apart as I've heard that the rivets loose there strength but it appears that both halves are moving together. I wish I could see what the back of the pulley looks like to imagine how the pulley could be coming apart and loosen if the nut that holds it on has not moved. My only option it seems is to try and tighten the nut and see if it solves it by maybe using a pin to hold the crank from moving or get a friend on the engine hand crank to hold it while I snug it. Or take the radiator out, belts off and remove the pulley and inspect it. Rather not have to do the latter. DS is in excellent condition, runs great and has no A/C.

The steering rack also needs removal to get the pulley off. Have no fear.

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazytuck View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, I was considering that the pulley was coming apart as I've heard that the rivets loose there strength but it appears that both halves are moving together. I wish I could see what the back of the pulley looks like to imagine how the pulley could be coming apart and loosen if the nut that holds it on has not moved. My only option it seems is to try and tighten the nut and see if it solves it by maybe using a pin to hold the crank from moving or get a friend on the engine hand crank to hold it while I snug it. Or take the radiator out, belts off and remove the pulley and inspect it. Rather not have to do the latter. DS is in excellent condition, runs great and has no A/C.
    Think it probably needs the pulley to be removed and swapped or fixed. But first it might be worth removing all the belts, and then feel for the type of movement in the pulley by hand and observe it with the engine idling. I'd imagine it's unlikely that the nut is loose, but if it is that then just do it up.

If the pulley does need to come out I vaguely remember doing that years ago by loosening the steering rack and pulling it forward an inch or so to gain access, rather than removing it completely. I might be wrong but I dont remember it being a major job, so best just to get stuck in.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thread Information