C4 - buying an older 1.6 diesel
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 - buying an older 1.6 diesel

Love the design and economy - what things do I need to look out for?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

You hear whinges about EGR and the turbo. Both are lubrication issues, and if warned, avoidable. A perspective comment here - FAQ : 110 : C4 1.6 HDi Oil Changing and Turbo Failure - C4 - DS4 Owners

Rear suspension arm bearings, worn engine mounts, crumbling gear lever knob, plastic interior trim falling off tailgate, lock and window electronics. See Argus report on reliability posted in Froggy Chat
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

EEK! I spoke to my brother in law in Hobart recently about his 1.6 litre diesel Peugeot 307 and found out he had to have his turbo replaced when the car had not even done 100kkm! I have other friends who have C4 with this engine. After reading the C4 owner's club post above - What do AFers think about the loose injector cause claim? Should I be asking my friends with C4 diesel to get their injectors tightened up at the next service and to make sure they change their oil at minimum every 12 months? Any other suggestions as to when us AFers should be passing onto other Cit or Pug drivers with this engine? Do the injectors on the 2.0l engines ever come loose?

Cheers,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

There's a turbo shop's comments here - PSA 1.6HDi Turbo It comes down to oil, and potential blocking of the lubrication feed.

I'm not sure the injector bloke has looked at the engine closely.

You can read Gerry Freed's reference in a sort-of translation at https://translate.google.com.au/tran...glt&edit-text=
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd April 2015 at 09:53 AM.

Fellow Frogger

Mostly, the usual used car issues. The most important issue with this model is regular engine oil changes using the correct oil. It has a fairly small sump and does not tolerate neglect. For a city car, no more than 10K intervals, but mostly country driving would let you extend it to 15K or even 20K, which was the original specified interval with the correct oil. It's difficult and expensive to salvage an engine that's been neglected to the point that oil has cooked to hard carbon as it will be everywhere and can become mobile after you think it's been fixed. Without a lot of care, changing a turbo on such an engine may have it fail again within a few thousand km. Also beware of cars with the inlet plenum hanging off the bottom of the windscreen as that allows the engine to be wet, which can eventually make it very difficult to remove the injectors if necessary.

Manual or EGS? EGS has a particle filter and you also need to factor in the cost of a new additive bag at around 140-160K. Dual mass flywheels are also costly items if you have knocking noises from that area.

Thread Information