THP155 Timing rattle? - Page 3
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: THP155 Timing rattle?

That would often be the case for me as well, it wouldn't be noisy every morning. Sometimes there didn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Advertisement

My dealer did find that the chain had stretched, I guess they could have determined that if they measured the deflection on the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    My car has had basically perfect starts for 5 consecutive mornings since staying at the dealer overnight. So...what did they secretly put in the oil?
    Geez, Dave.

You're giving us the impression that it's started once a day - possibly by the apprentice on his way to the shops with the bacon and egg roll order for the boys - and that's it.

Have they checked for chain stretch? It's a relatively simple procedure that involves removing the tensioner and inserting a go-no go gauge and measuring its length.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Citroen and Peugeot have apparently revised oil recommendation for THPs to 0/30w (total) apparently mitigates against timing chain cold start issues (faster flow) but curiously also to reduce carbonisation. My THP had the chain done under warranty 4 months ago, and they have advised me of the new oil type.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Geez, Dave.

You're giving us the impression that it's started once a day - possibly by the apprentice on his way to the shops with the bacon and egg roll order for the boys - and that's it.

Have they checked for chain stretch? It's a relatively simple procedure that involves removing the tensioner and inserting a go-no go gauge and measuring its length.
    No, unfortunately I'm pretty sure they just plugged it into the computer and used the software diagnostic to say that the timing is within spec.

Regarding oil when they did the 10k service for me (when the car had about 8k on it) it says on the receipt they used the Total 5W30. I wonder if as I put more km on this oil the tensioner is behaving better? Then again it didn't make any difference for at least 5000k.

Dave

On my last service in April they used Total 5W/30 oil.

Had another chattery start up this morning, will just keep monitoring for a bit.

Hi Dave, where did this land for you? About 8 months since I had my timing chain done and no issues with limp mode. Seems to have done the trick. Makes me think if the previous owner had been aware if they'd have got it repaired under warranty. Apparently the car was in and out of the shop because it constantly went into limp mode and they never diagnosed the problem.

Mine is still happening intermittently. Most commonly on the after work startup.

I will talk to them again at the 30 000k service.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information