• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WRB

Thread: CX 2200 without power steering

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX 2200 without power steering

Well, I took this car for a long drive yesterday around a lot of winding roads in tassie and also did some freeway driving. Once you get used to the extra steering lock and weight, it drives as well as any other CX. The 2200 carburated engine has less power than the 2400 injected engine but, keeps up with modern traffic quite well. The head has been reconditioned and the dreaded wiring rats nest is almost non-existant and very neat. In typical CX fashion, it gets quite hot in the cabin but, Shane has proven that this can be sorted.
    Parking is a bitch but, I need the exercise. I am going to sleep on it for a few days but, I am very tempted. It is a very neat car and the one positive of the lack of power steering, is the lack of extremely complicated (and expensive) hydraulics....

Advertisement

I drove a 1976 CX2200 Super (no power steering) in Tas for 5-6 years, (early 90s) before that it was Dad's car, the only modification was a sun-roof, which did a lot to keep it cool.
    My mate had a CX2400 (carby I think) and my CX2200 had better acceleration and throttle response.
    My mates only complaint about the CX (& to be fair his was a lemon, very badly maintained by previous owners), was that he could be driving along listening to the stereo and discover when he glanced at the speedo he was doing 140kph!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Well, I took this car for a long drive yesterday around a lot of winding roads in tassie and also did some freeway driving. Once you get used to the extra steering lock and weight, it drives as well as any other CX. The 2200 carburated engine has less power than the 2400 injected engine but, keeps up with modern traffic quite well. The head has been reconditioned and the dreaded wiring rats nest is almost non-existant and very neat. In typical CX fashion, it gets quite hot in the cabin but, Shane has proven that this can be sorted.
    Parking is a bitch but, I need the exercise. I am going to sleep on it for a few days but, I am very tempted. It is a very neat car and the one positive of the lack of power steering, is the lack of extremely complicated (and expensive) hydraulics....
    The power steering is brilliant ... if the rest is good, just retro-fit it There way nicer to drive with the powered rack

Just finding a CX even worth considering is the hard bit... so if the rest of the car is good. Go for it

Were the gearbox synchros ok ? They are a very weak point on the 4spd manuals.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Gearbox was better than I expected and the clutch was fine Shane. I am getting very close to deciding to buy it. I am on a disability pension and the chap who owns it is happy for me to pay it off over time - very kind. If I get it, I may have a very nice XM for sale. Beautiful car to drive but Cxs are far more fun...

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

PS - forgot to mention - It has a towbar!!!

Gearbox was better than I expected and the clutch was fine Shane. I am getting very close to deciding to buy it. I am on a disability pension and the chap who owns it is happy for me to pay it off over time - very kind. If I get it, I may have a very nice XM for sale. Beautiful car to drive but Cxs are far more fun...
    No worries, I have parts here remember for early CX's. However none of the stuff everyone wants (ie: door trims, seats, steering wheels). Your welcome to raid one of the cars for any bits you want.

I'd suggest putting the CX on a 45day club permit to begin with until you get it sorted and trust it. I'd be expecting to replace the spheres and return octopuses at a minimum.... simply 'cos there old. Check the front end and rear arm bearings too... Your gong to have to get the car through a stringent Victorian Roadworthy, which will NOT be fun

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Shane,
    I was thinking of club plates and using the XM as my main car.

Hi Warren, just remember that everyone who owned a 2200 got used to the steering without converting it to power steering. It's a larger diameter steering wheel to give you more leverage. Once you are going you don't notice any difference anyway.
    The CX2200 has a good reputation as a great basic CX. Good luck.

I had drive a CX2200 1975 last year, The car is 1975 and originally without power steering but at 1978 the owner add power steering and some pallas trims on the car but he don`t changed the hydraulic pump and all systems working with original single cylinder hydraulic pump!! If you have all parts you need you can add power steering system.

Power steering of Citroen CX is really unique and only SM and some Maserati cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    I had drive a CX2200 1975 last year, The car is 1975 and originally without power steering but at 1978 the owner add power steering and some pallas trims on the car but he don`t changed the hydraulic pump and all systems working with original single cylinder hydraulic pump!! If you have all parts you need you can add power steering system.

Power steering of Citroen CX is really unique and only SM and some Maserati cars.
    Um.... Are you sure there isn't a snowmans chance in hell the little single cylinder pump will run diravi steering .... The 7cylinder pumps struggle. The best is a later 5cylinder non-rebuildable pump

Single cylinder pumps take several minutes at idel just to lift a "dead flat" CX or ID with no power steering up from it's bumpstops. They have a very tiny output

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Have bought it and have no intention of converting it to power steering
    DoubleChevron and Jinandfonic like this.

Shane, It takes some time to rise up and stop light becomes off but when pressure becomes OK all systems working good, However no one use this car for regular use and I don`t know if the car be used like normal cars in hours in traffic the single cylinder pump can support all systems very well or not. my advice to owner was that install a 7 piston pump but finding a 7 piston pump in local is somehow impossible, I want one for my car and I guess I must buy one from Germany or France.

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post
    Shane, It takes some time to rise up and stop light becomes off but when pressure becomes OK all systems working good, However no one use this car for regular use and I don`t know if the car be used like normal cars in hours in traffic the single cylinder pump can support all systems very well or not. my advice to owner was that install a 7 piston pump but finding a 7 piston pump in local is somehow impossible, I want one for my car and I guess I must buy one from Germany or France.
    I'm not trying to be difficult ... but it really isn't gong to work. The second you move the steering wheel an inch, you will exhaust the accumulator then having no powered steering... Parking would be 100% muscling the now unpowered rack around. 7cylinder pump cars can barely keep up with demand when parking I can remember driving the diesel CX. As it idled so low, there was never enough hydraulic pressure for the steering to park it. So you'd be revving the motor upto 2000rpm to try and get some steering back while slipping the clutch to creep.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Have bought it and have no intention of converting it to power steering
    Well done Warren.... I hope to see it one day...

Thread Information