Xantia acceleration flat spot
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia acceleration flat spot

My 97 Xantia 2.0i 16-valve is still hesitating badly for a second or two when I try to accelerate from small throttle openings, when she's warm and been running a while. She's fine for the first half hour or so from cold.

I've replaced the idle stepper motor and MAP sensor and reset the ECU several times so far with no luck, so next step will be to replace the manifold temperature sensor. If that doesn't work, I'll replace the coolant temperature sensor and if that doesn't work, well, I might lash out and replace the ECU itself.

Advertisement

So, a couple of questions for anyone who's been down this road before. One, looking at replacement ECUs on eBay, I see two part numbers, 0261203811 (which is what's on my car, and which I could get only as a used item) and 0261204066, which is available NOS, and is also apparently OK for a 2.0i 16v. Can I use the latter on a '97 model?

Question two: basically I'm looking at the input to the ECU and the ECU itself at the moment. Should I be looking at the fuel supply and injectors instead?

Would really appreciate any wise help as this problem has continued for a long time now.

Cheers,

Danny
    '71 R16, died of driver error (mine)
    '69 R16, unwisely traded in for
    '79 Virage Wagon, collided with gentleman driving sideways round the wrong side of a tram
    '76 R16TS, died (and nearly took me with it) of being T-boned by 4WD running red light
    '73 R16TS ('Deidre'), electrics in meltdown Feb. 06
    '81 R18 wagon, gone to another owner
    '97 Xantia 2.0i 16v
    '07 C5 ('Sandrine')

Hi Danny,

Have you replaced spark plugs recently or tried a known good coil pack? Is your fuel tank evaporative solenoid connected OK?

Is the ECU light staying lit for 5 seconds after the engine starts? if so, there are some stored fault codes. Unfortunately, you need a Diagbox or Lexia to read the MP5.2. Its the first Bosch ECU that doesn't flash out codes on the ECU light - bummer.

I just drove my 16V wagon into work this morning - I love these engines (when they are running well and on 98 RON fuel).

Cheers,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

Hi Danny,
    I am no expert but the ECU is the last thing to replace, not even in the first row.
    Air leaks, air leaks, air leeks even, plugs, pressure reg, temp/pressure/coolant sensors, coils, are first row. Then I would have to give it some thought but a text book from the local library may be next and a manual.

Do not replace the sensors on spec, test them. The ECU relies on good information to make "the call" on the fuel.
    Jaahn

Really need a hook up to an engine analyser to see what is happening

Will save time and money in long run

Many thanks for the replies, everyone - really appreciated. I was getting so intimidated by the electronics (first car I've ever had with an ECU!) that it hadn't occurred to me to look for air leaks - will get onto that as soon as I can. Did replace spark plugs recently but that made no difference. Will have to take it into Paris Motors to have fault codes read as I can't run the software on my Mac.

Love the Xantia when it runs well - the most driving pleasure since my first Renault 16, 40+ years ago.

Danny
    '71 R16, died of driver error (mine)
    '69 R16, unwisely traded in for
    '79 Virage Wagon, collided with gentleman driving sideways round the wrong side of a tram
    '76 R16TS, died (and nearly took me with it) of being T-boned by 4WD running red light
    '73 R16TS ('Deidre'), electrics in meltdown Feb. 06
    '81 R18 wagon, gone to another owner
    '97 Xantia 2.0i 16v
    '07 C5 ('Sandrine')

Be assured that they usually do run well. We've had ours for at least ten years and it has never missed a beat. This will be some silly little age-related thing, just like an air leak, I'd expect.

We too have a history way back with the incomparable R16 and have found our Xantia pretty good, perhaps not quite as soulfully lusty but much better in ways like AC and power steering and, I reckon, great load capacity in mass, if not volume!

Hope you fix it soon and easily.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I put my money on an air leak, but it will be a very small and hard to find one.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I put my money on an air leak, but it will be a very small and hard to find one.
    Hi
    Well the check for small leaks is a stethoscope. If you are not a medical person a 1/4" plastic tube stuck in your good ear and poke the other end around the manifold and the hoses etc and listen for the hiss while it is idling.
    Jaahn

Thread Information