Citroen C5 V6
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trading Estate

Thread: Citroen C5 V6

Icon7 Citroen C5 V6

I would like to find out information on C5 V6 what are they like as car how economical they are an any problem that need to watched out for as I have been offered 2003 V6 Petrol Citroen C5 any information an tips greatfully excepted Thankyou in advance

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Much the same as what you have, with the same list of strengths and weaknesses. I would add though:
    * HID headlamps. Excellent, but lamps are very costly. They do not turn like those in the facelift cars.
    * They all have true Hydractive suspension, which your wagon may not. The lesser C5's often ride better.
    * Check on when the timing belt was changed / is due as it's expensive. Was the water pump changed too?
    * You need to use 95+ fuel, preferably 98, or you might expect problems with the catalytic converters - 1x main and 2x pre-cats.
    * Coil failure was a common fault. You do not want the original type Sagem coils (which have almost universally failed by now), so look for the Delphi coils (typically a white encapsulant in a larger head) at least on the rear bank. The smart move is fit these to at least the rear bank and keep those removed as spares in the boot to change the fronts when they fail. Front coils are trivial to change, but rear coils are not as you have to remove the manifold.
    * Sump pans often leak, but are easily re-sealed.
    * They tend to snap the stud on the engine and gearbox mounts, so make sure it's not floating.
    * Gearbox is the ZF 4HP20, not the AL4. It's better, but noises from the bellhousing area will suggest the converter is suspect or the pump is eating itself. This is the major risk item to be sure of due to cost.
    * These cars are improved if the gearbox ECU has been reprogrammed with the Pug coding to raise the converter lockup point. Otherwise, they can tend to rumble going up a hill at about 60. They also habitually dump back to 1st after going around a corner and that's just a feature you learn to live with. It's only cured by buying a 6 speed V6 instead.
    * Fuel use is a little heavy around town, maybe 12-13l/100, but can drop to 7l/100 on a trip. The early HDi will easily better that on a trip.

With a little patience very good cars can be found for several thousand, so walk away from anything with a problem unless it is very cheap and you know you can fix it without buying the car over several times again. There are many tired and neglected heaps at the bottom end. That said, the trade-in offer for a 2002 V6 (family member) in almost perfect order against a new $50K+ Volvo was $1K, reflecting the lack of commercial value older cars have and the fear that many dealers have of cars other than their own brand. At that value, it's been retained for a while yet, but many owners do not have any incentive to perform repairs.
    Last edited by David S; 23rd March 2015 at 06:01 PM.

Hi Finny, my V6 C5 is a 2004 model, and it's well beyond my expectations. It's very economical, better than the 2 litre Xantia I had for 6 years. It's just improved in every aspect. It's by far the best car I've ever owned, and I love all the electronics and gadgets it has. BTW, D2 bulbs are not any more expensive now than any other bulb. Ebay, less than $10.00, free postage, and that was for 2 bulbs.
    It's like any car, if you look after it and maintain it , it will be a good car. It has the hydraulic suspension, amazing power steering, fantastic power , it's smooth, quiet, comfortable... And I've never had a sunroof before. So far I don't know of anything that I don't like about it.
    I've only had it for 4 months... but I wouldn't go backwards.
    I saw these cars ( but 2 litre HDI ones) being used as taxis in Europe 5 years ago. I spoke to the driver, he owned the car, had it from new, used it every day as a TAXI and never had anything done to it... it was dirty under the bonnet, but everything was reliable.

cheers... George 1/8th.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 23rd March 2015 at 05:51 PM.

I don't know very much about these V6 C5 going have a look at them on Sunday all I know about them is what I have seen on the photos so I don't know what to expect as for my 2004 HDI that I currently have it has a major electrical fault going to the Air con as there is no power to the fuse I was offered the V6 look like a very nice do the Gearbox give any problem at all in them
    Thankyou for all the advise any other info will be greatfully accepted

Any problems? Seriously?

They have a very finite life in many instances. The English crowd reckon no more than 150000 miles, say 240000km if looked after.

By comparison, your air conditioning is easy and cheap to fix.

I wish the aircon was easy an cheap not the price I just got

Fellow Frogger

Has the fault been isolated if a cost has been given? Or is that the cost of the fishing expedition? Chasing Marlin?

Is the intent to replace the bad A/C C5 HDi with a V6 version? If that's the only reason, stick with the HDi. The V6 is a lovely car, but some other item will crop up and cost you much the same as the A/C job.

I would be confident of isolating the fault in two hours, and a neat, effective repair should take less again.

A trip further south may be in order - surely a Brisbane person can throw their Lexia on it?

There are other issue I have to contend with other wise I would be keeping it fault narrowed down to main wiring harness an exactly where it would finish they couldnot tell me they informed it was a very major an very costly job and the end result of what would have to be replaced was completely unknown

You are almost certainly getting brushed off.

I have a car that was serviced by "experts" in Toowoomba. Even now I'm still making good on stupid fixes as I come across them.

Nearly all the wires that power the AC also supply power for other circuits, if they were failed then other items would not work either.

Consider carefully the last sentence of David S's post no 2, in regards to what it is really worth.
    addo likes this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Funny how the EXPERTs can only guess as to what the fault could be, but they know in advance that it's going to be FRIGGIN expensive.
    Why not just visit a very skilled local AUTO electrician? It will be a very simple problem.

If you have a fuse which is getting no power supply, you can follow those wires back to where they come from and see why it's not coming through. It has to be a switch, or a fuse, or a wire, or an earth. there are not too many options.

the price I got came from the dealer I cannot even see the wires where they even go an im not game enough to pull the fuse box up in case I do break something for some people it might be easy but for me it not I know nothing of electronics an rely on experts an they are all very expensive

Thread Information