DS LED Dashlights
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Pommiefrog
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 3 Post By rmac
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By Pierre Boulanger
  • 1 Post By cocoelguapo
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: DS LED Dashlights

  1. #1
    Member Pommiefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    86

    Default DS LED Dashlights

    I don't really like to perform modern upgrades on my D unless there is good reason to and I decided there was when it came to the dash lights.

    The speedo and tacho were very dim, even with the dimmer turned fully up. The main beam warning lamp was also so faint, it was hard to tell if it was on or of...

    Advertisement


    Here's a short write up and a photo of how it looks, My Pallas:
    Regards,

    George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

  2. #2
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,729

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by Pommiefrog View Post
    I don't really like to perform modern upgrades on my D unless there is good reason to and I decided there was when it came to the dash lights.

    The speedo and tacho were very dim, even with the dimmer turned fully up. The main beam warning lamp was also so faint, it was hard to tell if it was on or of...

    Here's a short write up and a photo of how it looks, My Pallas:
    Neat solution George, just don't become tempted into 'Disco Inferno'



    Cheers
    Chris
    Pommiefrog likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    671

    Default

    What a great web page(s) - thanks for such a wonderful resource. I'm inspired to get my dash lights sorted.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Western Aust.
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Contacted Gil at 'sightlighting' who has quoted "£4.99 each. The P & P to Oz is £5.48 for forty" I've not counted how many needed but am happy to share the parcel if someone else wants a set. You'd just need to factor in local postage. Should be able to do it in the smallest overnight post bag - at whatever price that is now.

    Perhaps pommiefrog could tell us how many, which type and colour he used! :-)

    Normally I'd use a local supplier but being out in the sticks that is not easy and even trying to get someone who stocks LEDs is a challenge. A couple of the auto places I went to told me they'd not stock LEDs until their filament globe stocks were sold! :-(
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

  5. #5
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    What a great web page(s) - thanks for such a wonderful resource. I'm inspired to get my dash lights sorted.
    Agreed, that is a pretty nice page. The only real problem with the LED lamps is unless you run them through a resistor circuit, you can't dim them. If you can deal with the full brilliance (I normally keep my dash lamps up fully anyway) they're a great way to solve one of those problems that doesn't need to be a problem. An added benefit is they're very easy on the old components like the board and sockets, at less than 1/3 the current. In all I recommend LEDs not for only the dash lamps, but the tail, stop, turn and marker lamps as well.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Agreed, that is a pretty nice page. The only real problem with the LED lamps is unless you run them through a resistor circuit, you can't dim them. If you can deal with the full brilliance (I normally keep my dash lamps up fully anyway) they're a great way to solve one of those problems that doesn't need to be a problem. An added benefit is they're very easy on the old components like the board and sockets, at less than 1/3 the current. In all I recommend LEDs not for only the dash lamps, but the tail, stop, turn and marker lamps as well.
    LEDS don't respond well to resistive dimming. Voltage has very little bearing on intensity and they stop working at just under 1 volt in most cases..

    PWM (pulse width modulation) control works best.

    Something like this should do the job.

    DC Motor Speed Switch Controller 10V 12V 24V Control Reversible PWM Regulator 3A | eBay

    Obviously you would short out the reversing switch.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  7. #7
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,729

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    In all I recommend LEDs not for only the dash lamps, but the tail, stop, turn and marker lamps as well.
    Yes good candidates, the clear plastic on our number plate lights (I know these differ from your US lights) are often seen melted from heat. A bright cool LED would be a good fix

    Cheers
    Chris
    jatkinson likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  8. #8
    Member Pommiefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Contacted Gil at 'sightlighting' who has quoted "£4.99 each. The P & P to Oz is £5.48 for forty" I've not counted how many needed but am happy to share the parcel if someone else wants a set. You'd just need to factor in local postage. Should be able to do it in the smallest overnight post bag - at whatever price that is now.

    Perhaps pommiefrog could tell us how many, which type and colour he used! :-)
    Hi there,

    Glad you liked the blog and the dash lightining.

    There are two types of bulb fitments on the rear of the gauge cluster, a bayonet fitting and a blade type fitting. I didn't see the need for changing all the bulbs, just the ones that I was having trouble seeing.

    Namely for me; the speedo and tacho (2 bulbs which also illuminate the petrol gauge and water temp gauge) and lastly the main beam warning lamp, I didn't want the light too harsh so Gil advised a Blue LED would be best since it would be going through a blue filter in the cluster. I also changed the side lamp indicator warning lamp - it really wasn't that necessary though as I could see that one clearly (ordered in green again for the same reason).

    Here is the description of what I purchased along with Gil's codes*:

    - Speedo and tacho illumination - 2 x 501MultiWhNeg (also lights up your water temp and petrol gauge). (these are a blade type bulb on my D, check yours to be sure)
    - Main Beam Warning lamp indicator -1 x 233BLNEG (this is a bayonet type bulb on my D, check yours is too)
    - Side lamp indicator warning lamp - 1 x 233GRNEG (this is a bayonet type bulb on my D, check yours is too)

    I spoke to Gil yesterday and he mentioned that he does sell a rheostat so that you actually can dim the LEDs if you wanted to, I am quite happy though with them as they are.

    *EDIT:! Please check to see what type of bulbs are located on the rear of your gauge cluster. I've been informed that some of the later cars have all blade type bulbs and not the bayonet ones, so best check to see what you have before ordering anything.
    Last edited by Pommiefrog; 27th March 2015 at 04:49 AM.
    Regards,

    George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dandenong, Vic
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I got led's from local suppliers and managed to fry all the circuits of the pcb in my dash.
    So I've gone back to the old incandescent lights.
    If these work, FANTASTIC!!
    but be careful plopping any old led's in there.

  10. #10
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    LEDS don't respond well to resistive dimming. Voltage has very little bearing on intensity and they stop working at just under 1 volt in most cases..

    PWM (pulse width modulation) control works best.

    Something like this should do the job.

    DC Motor Speed Switch Controller 10V 12V 24V Control Reversible PWM Regulator 3A | eBay

    Obviously you would short out the reversing switch.
    I didn't even think of a PWM rheostat, thanks for the schooling. You're right about LEDs not working well with a resistive load. I was thinking back to when we installed an LED strip lamp from a supplier, and it was controllable to a small point, giving tail and stop functions, but that was all.

    Now that I'm thinking about it, I came away from Classic Limo with a large pile of those PWM switches (We used them on the overhead control panels for the specialty lighting), I should play a bit and see if they will work in this manner. Hook up is just a simple in-out-ground.

    We had problems with them, but that was because the amperage draw (incandescent draw was close to 20 amps after the "on" spike!!) was just too much for the board. Going back to a standard rheostat solved that problem right quick.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    15,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I didn't even think of a PWM rheostat, thanks for the schooling. You're right about LEDs not working well with a resistive load. I was thinking back to when we installed an LED strip lamp from a supplier, and it was controllable to a small point, giving tail and stop functions, but that was all.

    Now that I'm thinking about it, I came away from Classic Limo with a large pile of those PWM switches (We used them on the overhead control panels for the specialty lighting), I should play a bit and see if they will work in this manner. Hook up is just a simple in-out-ground.

    We had problems with them, but that was because the amperage draw (incandescent draw was close to 20 amps after the "on" spike!!) was just too much for the board. Going back to a standard rheostat solved that problem right quick.
    Remember, HRE to check the doover you have are rated for DC and not AC mains never the two shall mix.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  12. #12
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Remember, HRE to check the doover you have are rated for DC and not AC mains never the two shall mix.
    Good night, I hope I know that much!!!

    The PWM switches were for DC application. I don't remember using AC in any of the limos or hearses except for the neon strip lighting, and those came with a specific DC->AC transformer as part of the kit. Even the color wheels that formed part of the "Stargazer" headliner option were DC.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    68

    Default

    So i got two of these led globes for $4 postage free from an aussie supplier on fleabay but how do you get the little buggers out of their holders. They seem to be stuck! Any trick in getting the old globe out of the holder?


    Via the aussiefrogs App

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Got them out!


    Via the aussiefrogs App

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thanks for this post @Pommiefrog. I've bookmarked your blog! My clock is next and i'm pleased to see someone else has documented their experience. Keep it going!
    Pynhead
    facebook Tumblr Instagram
    Los Angeles
    1969 Citroen DS21

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I echo thanks Pommiefrog.. I've got 'new dash lighting' in my little Book of D Things but not got around to this. I need the dimming option for night sorties with my Passenger-Side Moderation Control - what she can't see on the speedo doesn't seem to be commented on.. Your dash is looking great.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  17. #17
    Member cocoelguapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misterd View Post
    I got led's from local suppliers and managed to fry all the circuits of the pcb in my dash.
    So I've gone back to the old incandescent lights.
    If these work, FANTASTIC!!
    but be careful plopping any old led's in there.
    How did you go about fixing the pcb?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Here is my dash with leds

    https://youtu.be/tEXmbVqqWTc

  19. #19
    Member cocoelguapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    79

    Default

    That looks fantastic.
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    MAITLAND NSW AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Hi Guys,

    There is one problem with changing the bulbs in the DS dash that you are all overlooking........The bulb holder on the DS wedge bulbs has the + one side, and the - on the other. The globes originally fitted had the wires coming out of the very end of the bulb, and folded over alternately.

    On most wedge leds, the wire contacts come out at the top of the wedge and fold over, and are meant for a bulb holder that has the + one end, and the - the other.

    If you fit the later type Led into the DS bulb holder you will either blow the fuse, or burn out the led.

    The correct Leds are around, you just have to look harder to find them.

    See attached pics:
    Best regards,

    Greg

    DS LED Dashlights-img_0545.jpgDS LED Dashlights-img_0546.jpgDS LED Dashlights-img_0544.jpg
    We Have:
    C5 HDI Exclusive 2.7 '09, Pluriel '09, Berlingo 1.6 HDI '10, C4 VTS coupe. C4 Picasso '08, 2CV Charleston '84 Grey, 2CV, '55 Australian delivered. 15/6 H '55, SM '74 BVM, DS21 EFI BVH, DS21 '67 BVH.
    We Had:
    1930C6F, '73 GS1220 wagon X 2, '75 G special, '75 GS panel van, '74 GS Birotor, '82 GSA panel van with factory AC, '85 CX25GTI BVM, 2002 C5 V6, 2006, C5 S2 HDI, '86 BX19GT, '72 DS21 BVM, '55 15/6H, '54 Lt 15,'73 Dyane, '82 Visa Super X, with Chrono Mecs & factory AC, 1972 SM.

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoelguapo View Post
    How did you go about fixing the pcb?
    If you short the pcb, it usually burns out the ground track and only in one spot along the bottom edge of the instrument panel under the speedometer where the tracks are the narrowest. The narrow spot acts like a fuse to save the rest of the pcb (don't ask me how I know this). You can easily bridge the burned out section with a small bit of copper and some careful soldering.
    Greg likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! badabec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ongar / England
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Hello, I fitted LED's and found the headlamp warning lights too bright, I went back to original.

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I use a low power LED for the headlight and high beam warning (e.g. something in the 23-25 lm light output range). These indicators are on fairly continuously, especially the green headlight indicator, so the heat from an incandescent is not good for the plastic colored filter.
    Cheers,
    John T.

    61DS19 LHM BVH (son's); 67DS21 BVH; 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM EFI (Megasquirt); 73SM 3.0 (other son's)

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger! badabec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ongar / England
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    I use a low power LED for the headlight and high beam warning (e.g. something in the 23-25 lm light output range). These indicators are on fairly continuously, especially the green headlight indicator, so the heat from an incandescent is not good for the plastic colored filter.
    Thanks John T, I shall investigate good old ebay

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •