Blower Fan
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Blower Fan

Default Blower Fan

I have a 2004 Citroen C5 HDI Limited Edition Estate wagon the blower fan has stopped working I have replace the fan and I have also replaced the resistor that works the blower fan and aircon but still doesnot work I have taken the blower fan out an had it checked it works fine but wont work in the car. The fan emblem show up on the screen an show it is working nut it not the light stays on an doesnot gout so all circumstances it should be working does anybody have any ideas at all Thankyou very much in advance. There is no power going to the fuse for the blower fan even with car engine running now im really confused

Advertisement
    Last edited by finny12; 21st March 2015 at 10:42 AM.

It's really a situation where you need either a good sparkie or genuine diagnostic gear.

There may be a fault with the control panel, or the wiring to the fan. With ignition on, do you have 12 volts to the thick wire on Pin 6 of the fan controller plug, and a permanent ground to Pin 1 of the same plug?

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds like the symptoms I had with a blown fan resistor module. I have gone through 2 of these - the first I fixed with a replacement "transistor" and the second time I had to buy a new module (off of EBay) as my soldering/repair had damaged the Cct board.
    Maybe you need to check the plugs into the module?
    Cheers
    Michael
    C5
    BX Estate
    BX16v

I have 2 new modules in still made no difference so the problem is some where else as I recently purchased another resister still no good not working

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    I have not much idea from here. But some thoughts !
    Silly to ask, that you have checked the fuse?
    The BSI would have a electronic switch to turn it on. This may have failed perhaps.
    Jaahn

I would not even know where to look for that fuse some one also suggested to me maybe the Pollen Filtre in the car is blocked but again I have no idea where to start looking for that eitherf

It has to be something really simple. Make sure that nothing is mechanically stopping the fan from turning when it is mounted. And check the voltage at the fan connector terminals. And I'd be checking the fuse as well. It will be a 30amp or higher one.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 19th March 2015 at 12:54 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finny12 View Post
    I would not even know where to look for that fuse some one also suggested to me maybe the Pollen Filtre in the car is blocked but again I have no idea where to start looking for that eitherf
    Hi finny12,
    I would suggest to look in the Owners Book. The normal fuses are in the glovebox behind a panel on the LH end which just clips in. I cannot say which one it is, others with a book may help.
    I doubt the pollen filter would be so clogged it would be 100% blocked however ??? The book.
    Jaahn

Icon11

I'll leave these links for 30 days - suggest people suffering a pre-X7 C5 save the images to their own computer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efcklhkkdl...con_1.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lj0n391he...con_2.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdhhoeu7oi...con_3.jpg?dl=0

PSA circuit diagrams are among the simplest around for readability.

If Finny buys a Valeo pollen filter, it will have instructions on the packet with drawings showing how to change.
    con likes this.

These are good maps, Adam.
    Can you nod at the one showing the wiring for the windscreen washer bottle level sensor ?

Thanks.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Unit 5110? I don't think it's on that selection of diagrams. Will message you if I can find it.

Edit: Don't have the diagram for a C5, looking at a C3 it goes from pin 1 of the grey sensor on the reservoir, to Pin 23 of the BSI's 40-pin black plug.

I have checked all the fuses in the Glove box they are all good

Have you tested the other points I mentioned?

I have the best I could Im not that savy with this type of thing it really out of my range so im going to find some one here in town who has the equipment to check for the problem

Save and print the wiring diagrams for your tradie, if they do not pay attention to them, they are not worth you paying.

Very True I have saved all the diagrams you sent me Thankyou very much finding a good auto electrician to work on one of these cars wont be easy there are Auto Electrician and Auto Electrician how ever my next step is to goto the dealer ship and get it tested see what they come up with as they are new dealership in town

Hey Finny, the "blower fan" fuse is not in the glovebox, it's under the bonnet. It's under the cover in the back RHS when standing in front of the car. It's under the cover which covers the front wheel sphere and fuse box.( Passenger side ) The fuse for the blower is number 18. It's a big one, it's 40 amps. It's the bottom right hand fuse, right in the corner. Pull that one out and test it with an ohm meter. You should get ZERO resistance if it's good, or INFINITE resistance if it's broken.
    Good luck.

Finny,

The CCCQ mag lists West Star Motors corner James and Hume Streets for Citroen parts and service in Toowoomba.

Cheers,

Ken

Yes West star has just taken over the Citroen Dealership yes I will be checking them out very soon

I moved the switches on the Climate control panel the fan light display went and did not come back on for quite some time so maybe it in there but will be checking the fuses under the bonnet did not know they were there thanks

I have just checked that fuse it is good how ever I am not getting any power to the fuse even with motor running there is no power to that fuse

I have since checked with another Citroen C5 a 2001 model when the motor is running an aircon on the fuses under the bonnet gets power to it mine doesnot get any power to it so I know there is a fault somewhere or broken wire but where it is a probably will be very exspensive fix

1000+ Posts

Hi Finny

No experience with C5, but I have a Xantia (predecessor of C5) & a Pug 406 (close relative). In the Xantia I had problems with the cabin blower fan, and with the 406 the Air con stopped working.

In both cases the problem lay in the ignition switch - it appears PSA designs allow too much current to be drawn through it. In the case of the 406 the contacts inside the switch did not even look burnt, but dismantling, cleaning and reassembling fixed the problem for a while. When it failed again I replaced the switch (still didn't look damaged), and have had no further problems. In the 406, the LCD screen would indicate whether the air con control was in the "on" or "off" position, but it didn't mean it was working .

The ignition switch is relatively easy to access, and in later designs like the 406 and (hopefully) C5, replacing the switch does not mean getting a new ignition lock/barrel & key.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

I suspect the car is earlier than the diagrams above suggest. The blower control changed with the facelift cars and the clue might be in the shadow car in addo's diagrams. Early cars had 6 wires on the control modules in 2 green plugs. The same system is used in early C3 too. Facelift (S2 from 2005) cars do not seem to have the same issues with the fan module.

So, the blower works and you do not think you have 12V at the module in the footwell. The 2-way green connector at the module should have permanent earth on pin 2 (via earth MC32 - common and somewhere below the BSI) and switched 12V is at pin 1. The blower motor connects via pins 3 and 4 at the 6 way green socket. I'm not sure of the polarity, but I would guess pin 2 may be the -ve and think you could test the blower wiring from the module socket by unplugging and applying 12V across these pins. Pins 5 and 6 of the 6 way green are from the dashboard A/C control panel and control the fan module.

The 12V supply to the module is switched via the engine slave unit, variously known as BSM, PSF1, BM34, engine fuse/relay box etc.. There are numerous wiring diagram variations, but I am referring to one intended for the RHZ HDi wagon with full auto A/C and automatic transmission. It's probably typical of the others in relation to the blower control. Supply to the blower module is via fuse 18 and this comes directly from the battery +ve. Do you have 12V at both sides of this fuse. F16 is on the same bus from the battery, so you must also have 12V there or there may be a fault inside the BSM. F18 controls a relay, R3, which in turn feeds to pins 8 and 16 of the 16 way green socket on the BSM. You need to see if this is working. If the relay is not operating, then either relay has failed or there is a problem in the BSM or possible the BSI control of the relay. That then becomes an electronic rather than an electrical issue because it's partly a multiplexed control system. The relay will be encapsulated and not easily replaced separately.

I can post you a spare control panel if need be. The BSM is not VIN-coded like the BSI, so can be swapped from another car the same as a test.

I may be able to scan the diagram later, but it is #80.17 in the 2001 listing if you have it on Sedre addo. doc D3AR23NR.
    Last edited by David S; 24th March 2015 at 12:08 PM.

I'm on subscription, so reluctant to spend another $8.50 without more reciprocity in the quest.

The car I put up was a facelift diesel wagon, from memory. 76774259

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information