DS23 Pallas - Hydraulic Fluid Leak From Rear Suspension
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: DS23 Pallas - Hydraulic Fluid Leak From Rear Suspension

Tadpole

Default DS23 Pallas - Hydraulic Fluid Leak From Rear Suspension

I have a pool of green hydraulic fluid on the ground, slowly dripping from the right rear suspension. I haven't investigated it yet but any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

rear suspension boots.... they expire as a past time Quite easy to change though. They will leak a surprisingly large amount of LHM over time.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Had it been at the left and couldn't be blamed on either the rubber boot or the height corrector, there is also the return tube that chafes where it passes under the linkage for the corrector. This isn't a problem at the RHS.

Try to buy the genuine rear boot, still available, as many of the repro rubber parts are not lasting very well.
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Had it been at the left and couldn't be blamed on either the rubber boot or the height corrector, there is also the return tube that chafes where it passes under the linkage for the corrector. This isn't a problem at the RHS.

Try to buy the genuine rear boot, still available, as many of the repro rubber parts are not lasting very well.
    Also a good idea to renew the Teflon sealing ring and the rubber backing ring inside the suspension cylinder. The Teflon, while it has good wear characteristics, is some what poor at sealing at lower pressures. Which is the exact condition that exists in the rear suspension circuits. If the backing rings (which supply the sealing pressure) are old then get a bit hard and system fluid leaks into the boots.

As to the boots. The reproduction units that have come from Europe to the US, at least in my experience, have proven to last just as long or longer than the OEM ones. The real trick is to keep leakage at a minimum. If those boots fill up with fluid it really stresses the rubber where the boot is inverted. In addition one needs to protect the rubber of the boot, where it is attached to the suspension rode with a cloth liner so that it does not get cut from the edge of the Ligarex banding material.

Steve

Steve

Also worth seeing that the ball/sockets on rod are in good condition and greased, And, your rear bump stops are in place, you're going to have to remove the cylinder if it is the suspension boots so good time to address the whole unit, of course if that one is cactus, excuse the Citroen pun, then the other side could well be next as the rubber will ultimately perish also. Theres a video on youtube of replacing boots, will see if I can find it, its either there or vimeo, factory manual also explains, you have to invert the boot, invaginate as I recall it being described to fix the inside ligarex then turn out again to do ligarex on outside, and you need a rubber strip under that so it forsn't cut into the boot. All straightforward enough to do as long as you're prepared first!

mnm

Hello

i did this job a while back... here is the link if it helps.

DS Invagination

Matthew

Thread Information