CX alternator not charging
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rmac
  • 1 Post By rmac

Thread: CX alternator not charging

Default CX alternator not charging

Following a long drive towing the 5CV with my 1981 CX Pallas C-matic I reversed the trailer into the carport. I turned the engine off and disconnected the trailer. On going to restart the car found that the battery was not charged sufficiently to turn the engine over. After over 400kms it should be fully charged.

Advertisement

<This occurred on my return from the Classic Car Show in Perth (WA) and I thought -Alternator! What a [email protected]?#>$! Last year on the morning drive to the Classic Car Show my CX Familiale had alternator failure. This was terminal and needed a complete replacement. I thought, "Not again!" What were my chances of this happening two years in a row! >

Got another car, cables and jump started before moving back to the garage. On checking thought the belt was a little slack so tightened it. Took battery to local service centre for re-charge and test - came back OK! After driving the car occasionally over the next few months (all short trips of 16-20kms) found I had a flat battery again. With the battery re-charged I checked the belt. Slack again! So retightened it taking extra care to ensure it was tight.

This happened again and I looked more closely at the belt - it was sitting well down in the groove of the pulley. Thought it looked like someone had fitted a narrower belt. The air-con and hydraulic pump belts were wider and sat higher in the grooves.

Eventually decided to remove the belt and obtain a replacement. Once removed found the belt to be an 11A0700 the same as the one supplied by the local car parts store. Only problem was that they looked so different. The old belt had worn down and had sides that were almost carbonised - having a highly polished finish as well as severe cracking.

Fitted the new belt, replaced the other belts after examining them and tightened everything. Started the car and found that the battery gauge (where the oil level gauge is in the other CXs) now responded and the needle rose to a point over half way up.

Problem seems to be solved as I drove over 150km today and everything is fine. My original thoughts of voltage regulator or brushes/fault in the alternator proved not to be the case. Happy with such a simple solution.
    CX alternator not charging-dsc9537.jpgCX alternator not charging-dsc9538.jpg
    Jinandfonic and CTR03N like this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

In cases like this Alternator`s Diode is suspect, in fact the alternator charging the battery well and battery itself is OK but when the engine is off, battery will run out very soon.

Fellow Frogger

Did they still fit the Paris-Rhone alternator with the remote rectifier by 1981? Many people replace the setup with an alternator with an internal rectifier, which is a sensible idea. Even if the alternator components and diodes are fine, the insulation fails on the harness from the alternator to the rectifiers and can short where it is exposed at the alternator end.
    Last edited by David S; 21st March 2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling

I've just replaced the 80amp alternator on m CX with a 90amp one from a 2.0 XM. I just swapped the front housing over as the bottom mounting was on the other side. Another plus point, the later alternator does away with the non captive, captive nut.

So far the replacement belt seems to have eliminated the problem. It seems hard to believe that such a simple (and cheap) solution has done it but who am I to argue!!!

Will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks for the tips re possible replacements. I'll keep them in mind.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

JBN

I had a CX2400 C-matic. It went through a number of alternators. I replaced them with new Italian made one (which were reasonably priced at the time). The reasons the alternators went was because the waterpump started to leak right onto the alternator, and glycol doesn't treat alternators well.

Often first indications of a low battery was difficult gearchanges, as the solenoids weren't getting the juice to operate properly and declutch the C-matic. When I had a radar detector, it would beep regularly if the battery was going flat (it also beeped regularly when my right foot was flat).

John

Were all CX's fitted with 80amp alternators? a 90amp sounds like a good upgrade. I have no end of trouble with my first CX. So far the turbo has been no trouble.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

David, in 1980 they had an out regulator Paris-Rohne alternator too but many of CXs in 1980 have in built regulator alternators and they can change their alternators with a Ducellier or Paris-Rhone in built regulator alternators.

but about diods in all in built and out Regulator Alternators diods are in the regulator and for best results alternator must be open and checking diods one by one.

CX have many type of Alternators, 45A, 53A, 55A and 75A on early 2.0 and 2.2 liter models and later 70A, 72A and 80A on 2.0 liters. also many type of 80A on 2.35 liter models but they add an Paris-Rhone in built regulator 100A from 10.1977 (part number A14R26 or A14R28) mostly on prestige models that finding one of them will solve charging problems.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Houtan; 21st March 2015 at 03:51 AM.

Drove over 500km to Perth on Wednesday then over 400km return on Thursday. Battery charged fine. Only problem was that at idle, with gearbox not engaged there is, sometimes, some belt squeal. Will have to check the alignment of the pulleys. May need more shims behind pulley - maybe less than the three currently fitted.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Glad it was simple Ross. I have a 120 amp Bosch universal on my C-matic, fitted a few years ago by Geoffrey. The car is in hospital with Stuart while we are away, with a wee head problem, and there is a new water pump going on while the head is off, as the old one must be at least ten years old. This is insurance against leakage into the alternator among other things.

See you later in the year I hope.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The Prestige has a 95 amp Bosch universal with inbuilt regulator and it has not missed a beat since it was fitted, and that included one water pump failure. Very good alternator and 95 amp more than enough to keep things happy.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Drove over 500km to Perth on Wednesday then over 400km return on Thursday. Battery charged fine. Only problem was that at idle, with gearbox not engaged there is, sometimes, some belt squeal. Will have to check the alignment of the pulleys. May need more shims behind pulley - maybe less than the three currently fitted.
    An extra earth strap connected to the gearbox solved my recent idle non-engagement with the A/c in operation on the c-matic.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thread Information