DS21 at Geneva Motor Show
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: DS21 at Geneva Motor Show

UFO

Default DS21 at Geneva Motor Show

While we were in France last year and staying with our friends Valerie and Alain in Burgundy, Alain and his mechanic were furiously working on a special project.

Alain is a research scientist for the French govt, but his true passion is Citroen and motorbikes. He and Valerie moved out of Paris a few years ago to the Burgundy region when they acquired a Maison Bourgeois - a grand house - in a lovely small town that is near enough to Paris for them to undertake a daily commute. One reason for the move was to have a home, land and workshop to store, work on and display the car and motorbike collection. The property also had a large garage that has been turned into an automotive workshop. They employ Eric as the mechanic and he earns some of his living doing maintenance on other local cars - including classics.

Advertisement

Anyway, when I last saw the project car in August, and worked on it a tiny bit, it looked like this:

DS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-04.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-23.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-01.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-02.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-40.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-15.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-03.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-37.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-39.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-45.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-41.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-42.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-44.jpgDS21 at Geneva Motor Show-geneva-ds21-43.jpg

Alain is the one with the short grey hair, Eric is the wild one.

Yes that is a full stainless steel exhaust, delivered with many other new parts one afternoon, by Jean Blondeau.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

The project was a commission from Citroen to rebuild a car from the Conservatoire collection, a DS21 BVH, for display at this year's Geneva Motor Show. Today another French Citroen friend posted some photos of the car on display on the DS stand. I hope the links work.

Apparently the colours, interior and exterior, are to replicate offerings in the upgraded DS range. I think it looks superb!

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I wonder what colour that is. Looks great with the black roof.

Tim

Mmmm bon! cool stand and graphics also!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 12th March 2015 at 10:28 PM.

Great job.
    Just to be a little bit obnoxious though,
    it says Pallas on the plates... the doors are definitely not Pallas.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    I wonder what colour that is. Looks great with the black roof.

Tim
    It's a colour being offered in the DS range.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Great job.
    in what way Don?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It's a colour being offered in the DS range.
    DS meets DS5

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS21 at Geneva Motor Show-ds-meets-ds.jpg  
    UFO and Ronhic like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    in what way Don?
    Pallas have door/fender trims.
    It's one of the basic tells.

P.S.
    For more tells:
    http://www.nuancierds.fr/DT%20Pallas%20it.htm
    (in Italian, but the pics are very clear)
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 13th March 2015 at 12:08 AM.

Seriously, Poiple, doesn't look great on a DS, I know colour is subjective, but wow, that is ghastly.
    Great work by the boys in question. ( actually, i have just had a closer look. the panel alignment is as per factory, not very good ) I have long considered it the right of anyone undertaking a resto to choose whatever colour they like, why not. But, there is no substitute for originality.
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Colour is a very personal taste;if happy,why not. As for Pallas,the taillights are wrong,appear to be "d" special;going to all that trouble one would think they would have got that right however it looks great,Andy.

No it will say DS on the quarter panel trim and DS21 on the boot lid.
    Where do you see the word Pallas?
    It is a DS21 as UFO originally said!

Pallas have door/fender trims.
    It's one of the basic tells.

P.S.
    For more tells:
    la DS Pallas pour les nuls (italiano)
    (in Italian, but the pics are very clear)
    Cheers Gerry

In my view it is offensive. A DS is not a DS. There is only one DS. It stands for nothing that the real DS stands for. Where is the revolution. Also the colour is terrible. I will stop before I blow a fuse
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Where do you see the word Pallas?
    Where the number plates would be:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    In my view it is offensive.
    In my view Peugeot having the gall to call an absolutely ordinary car DS was offensive.

This rebranding/heritagesnivelling completely botched job (my pet hamster would have done a better one) is just plain pathetic.
    And I don't even have a pet hamster.

[EDIT] I'm not talking about the restoration - guy obviously didn't know they would put a Pallas plate on it. It's the rebranding thing.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 13th March 2015 at 10:55 AM.
    addo likes this.

That car may well be a Pallas, but "de-blinged" to better show the design. It has the stainless trim at top of doors plus Pallas C pillar trims.

The less cluttered flanks and plainer tail lights give it a more timeless look.

Agreed, the new "DS" range is an insult, pushing nothing but fussy design and ignoring technical innovation.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    In my view it is offensive. A DS is not a DS. There is only one DS. It stands for nothing that the real DS stands for. Where is the revolution. Also the colour is terrible. I will stop before I blow a fuse
    In my view Peugeot having the gall to call an absolutely ordinary car DS was offensive.

This rebranding/heritagesnivelling completely botched job (my pet hamster would have done a better one) is just plain pathetic.
    And I don't even have a pet hamster.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Agreed, the new "DS" range is an insult, pushing nothing but fussy design and ignoring technical innovation.
    Reading a few international forums, this appears to be the consensus, even outrage!! Yet PSA hold firm and the 'Citroen brand' will continue to be phased out. Probably just as well, as those of us that now live in the past are happy to disassociate with the present and the foreseeable future.

The work commissioned for this DS21 would no doubt have been heavily determined by the marketeers, colour/trim etc, and be seen merely as a concessional backdrop (60 years heritage) for the current range.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Great job.
    I had to look at that, you're right. The side rub strips and the wrap-around trim for the reflectors is all absent. I have a tough time believing the Conservatoire would let something that noticeable go. They may have requested it be eliminated, or they're looking for a perfect set but simply couldn't find enough pieces by the time the car needed to be assembled for Geneva.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I had to look at that, you're right. The side rub strips and the wrap-around trim for the reflectors is all absent. I have a tough time believing the Conservatoire would let something that noticeable go. They may have requested it be eliminated, or they're looking for a perfect set but simply couldn't find enough pieces by the time the car needed to be assembled for Geneva.
    I'd say the car was rebuilt to a specification for this event, as pre publicity images show. . . perhaps an attempt to represent the car over it's lifespan rather than a particular year or model.

EDIT: This seems to be borne out in this very poor translation from French written by juillet61 CitroŽn polit l'image de la DS pour mieux l'exploiter. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by juillet61
    CitroŽn juggles paradoxes for the purpose of promoting its new brand, DS Automobiles. Or how to rewrite history.

cars, Citroen, line ds, ds, ds5, 5 ds, ds CitroŽn, CitroŽn DS 19, DS 21 Pallas, genŤveRevisitťe salon, redesigned and - they say - embellished at the Geneva Motor Show, the CitroŽn DS5 s 'DS 5 now called "full stop". A change which follows the promotion of the status of DS brand in its own right within the PSA Peugeot CitroŽn Group on June 1, 2014. "The new DS 5 is more than a car. It's the DS that launches our identity brand, "said at the Geneva Motor Yves Bonnefont, President of DS Automobiles. Behind him sat the historical deposit, a splendid DS 21 Pallas 1969 whose appearance attracted the attention of former CitroŽn lovers.

It only takes a glance to understand this brilliant copy thousand lights had been disguised for the purposes of promoting the DS 5. enthusiasts "road Goddess" know full well that the DS 21 Pallas ever not enjoyed in his time of a leather upholstery as thin as one who dresses the copy of the Geneva Motor Show, much less a complexion as dark brown. Ditto for this flag painted lacquer black and this dress with a blue-purple very flattering my faith.

Formerly taboo, the evocation of the past is now routine

Information taken from the manufacturer, this leather and this color come from the color chart for the DS 5, 2015 and not from that of 1969. As for the lacquered black flag, its brightness is supposed to echo the vast glass roof of the DS 5. As to convince us that there is a direct and visible affiliation between these two comic cars forty-nine years apart (DS 21 appeared in 1966).

He will be the dupe barge? If it is Chinese, it is easily deluded. He just has an appearance of Sophie Marceau, muse DS, and some shots comparing the DS Pallas 5 to old to believe that large CitroŽn embody continuously since Charles de Gaulle era prestige to French . It would be different if the Chinese had kept us Europeans as the memory of those old CitroŽn CX and XM languishing in a pool of hydraulic fluid at the end of a second life of toil, drawn caravans of travelers.

The original DS is a sculpture which is embellished shapes on Photoshop

Still happening Citroen gets covered in blue and black DS. But to roughly retouch pictures of this 21 Pallas attempt to erase own faults cars of his age, that's more questionable. Let us be clear: it was not to hide the ravages of time on a beautiful collectible but to remove the evidence of a past considered shameful by the theologians of the new religion DS. They had a perfect appearance of icon, they have created from scratch on the graphics palette.

cars, Citroen, line ds, ds, ds5, 5 ds, ds CitroŽn, CitroŽn DS 19, DS 21 Pallas, genŤveN'importe salon what amateur historian will tell you, never any DS, she was a Pallas did not leave the chains with a hood and door as neatly aligned as those of the DS 21 Pallas blue photographed on the occasion of the sixty creating the DS. CitroŽn never would have had the means - let alone the will - to subject themselves to the time to set the operating games such fine tolerances. Even the DS contemporary Mercedes-Benz were not as neat.

cars, Citroen, line ds, ds, ds5, 5 ds, ds CitroŽn, CitroŽn DS 19, DS 21 Pallas, Barthes genŤveRoland the salon told us in 1957 in his Mythologies: this is a long time that the DS has exceeded its condition subject of consumer to access the status of rolling sculpture, symbol of the industrial art of the second half of the twentieth century. In 2015, the DS assumes a new role of tenure. By preparing the way this unfortunate blue Pallas Citroen leaders affirm their desire to reclaim the original DS to become the founding myth of their new brand. Quite a turnaround from a long angry manufacturer with its past.

Hydropneumatic suspension has no place in modern DS. A peak.

cars, Citroen, line ds, ds, ds5, 5 ds, ds CitroŽn, CitroŽn DS 19, DS 21 Pallas, genŤveIl salon is not only these pictures retouched to the screaming old CitroŽnistes, authors of a petition PSA asking leaders to abandon their plans to abandon the technology of the hydropneumatic suspension (read our article: "A petition to save the CitroŽn suspension"). Yellow They laugh seeing the parallel drawn by the new commercial from the 60s DS and DS 5 to the much less comfortable conventional suspension. While the grandmother flew over the competition in terms of safety and driving comfort, her distant descendant can only rely on his bombastic style, neat paintings and aniline leather upholstery to stand out from its contemporaries. We better understand the temptation to ward off the same trappings of blue 21 Geneva Motor Show: This is to convince the customer that already in 2015 the time of the Pallas, appearances before passing technique. What falls against the historical sense.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS21 at Geneva Motor Show-ds-60.jpg  
    shanadoo and Hotrodelectric like this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Its just Peugeot twisting the knife in to finally vanquish those despicable past geniuses at Citroen!
    The connection between the original and current DS is hard to find really.

well on edit, the similarities are each has a body, 4 wheels, a steering wheel and dashboard, , seats, an engine, rear view mirrors and wipers, lamps and are both the same blue!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 13th March 2015 at 05:56 PM.
    addo likes this.

Oh Yes! They clearly got that wrong!!!!!!

Where the number plates would be:

Cheers Gerry

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Its just Peugeot twisting the knife in to finally vanquish those despicable past geniuses at Citroen!
    The connection between the original and current DS is hard to find really.

well on edit, the similarities are each has a body, 4 wheels, a steering wheel and dashboard, , seats, an engine, rear view mirrors and wipers, lamps and are both the same blue!
    Remember, the DS5 is pointed at a market that knows or appreciates very little of Citroen's past history.

Ironically enough, one of the salient features of a big Citroen has been discarded just in time for an introduction into a country where post-war France had nothing over on the Chinese for piss-poor roads.
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Yes but if they paint a DS the same colour as a ds on the stand to draw attention to the similarity of avant guarde the offence caused is immense. The fact they can't get the little bits right indicates they don't have any idea. I mean the DS was different to any car before or since. The ds has high tech on board, but shared with every other car.

You can't expect any more of those that even trashed the brands iconic badge. What was wrong with the crisp double chevron, other than it was used on older models. Then they have the temerity to bring one of those older cars with the old badge on the boot to allude that the new is derived from the old. Can you imagine MB dropping the 3 pointed star, or Ford the blue oval. The rot started there and is continuing.
    shanadoo and GreenBlood like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Geez Craig all hell is breaking loose! Your mate is obviously a cool guy, but those PSA [email protected]ers! The [email protected]ing [email protected]ers!!!!

UFO

You know, sometimes I wonder why the heck I bother posting on AF. We can't rewrite the past and we're certainly in no place to shape the future of a company who is trying to stay afloat in some form or another.

Thanks to those who made some positive comments.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information