• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg C

Thread: C5 2.2HDI auto trans problem

Default C5 2.2HDI auto trans problem

Hi Everyone

Advertisement

The auto box on my 2002 C5 2.2 HDI did something very peculiar today; I was sitting in traffic stopped at a red light, the car was in drive and then when the traffic light turned green and it was time to move off, it was if the car was in neutral, the car just rolled backward with no drive whatsoever. To get it back to drive again I shifted backwards and forwards from park to drive and back again something like 5 times. It eventually went back into gear and I drove off normally.
    This episode has me very worried. The car has 200000km on it and hasn't had a transmission service, do you think a service will "cure" things or has anyone heard of a problem like this? There are no transmission leaks either.

Many thanks to you all.

Craig

A fluid change may help, but I have heard that when the 4HP20 has a fault it is best not to drive it as it will do more damage. You might be lucky in that the box is actually working. You should have been changing the fluid regularly but it won't hurt to start a little late. ASAP
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thank you Greg C
    I have another car that I can drive so I will use that and do a service on the C5 on the weekend.

1000+ Posts

Hi Tintin,
    I agree that a late oil change may help and be better than none ! Perhaps some debris in the valve body may have caused the problem. Good luck

However I would ask, do you actually know how to do an oil change on this box. Please research on the forum and actually READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY. Some people have changed the oil, had problems and then had to go back and do it again as they did not register the instruction to check the oil level WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. The process requires some preparation to do well, none to do badly.
    There is some discussion about the oil to use also. You can spend a lot of money or a smaller amount for a better oil !!
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

There was no 2002 2.2HDi sold in Australia. So, either it's a 2002 2.0 HDi with the AL4 gearbox or it's a later, 2005 or later, facelifted 2.2HDi with the 4 speed 4HP20 gearbox. Which one? It makes a difference.

Hello Jaan,
    i have learnt a lot on the subject of transmission fluid change from this forum which is great, but I will continue to do more research before attempting to do this job.
    Thank you.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    There was no 2002 2.2HDi sold in Australia. So, either it's a 2002 2.0 HDi with the AL4 gearbox or it's a later, 2005 or later, facelifted 2.2HDi with the 4 speed 4HP20 gearbox. Which one? It makes a difference.
    Hi David S,
    i think you have thrown a spanner in the works, I always thought it was a 2.2 with 4HP20 gearbox. My car was first complianced in 01/2002 and is a 4 speed with sport mode and snow mode. It also has manual sequential mode. David, can you clarify which gearbox I have from the info I have given?
    Kind regards
    Craig

Hi David,
    I have a feeling I am completely wrong and you are right, I have a 2.0 litre HDI according to photos of the engine I have just looked at. In this case, what sort of fluid should I buy?

1000+ Posts

The VIN includes the engine code letters. RHR is the 2.0 HDI

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The VIN includes the engine code letters. RHR is the 2.0 HDI
    The facelifted 2006-08 DW10B variety, yes, but early 2.0HDi DW10 will be RHZ in the VIN.
    If built in 2002, then it will not be a 2.2 HDi 4 speed.

The build date is always a safer reference as the compliance plate can in some cases be 2+ years after the build date. Sometimes a car is unsold and/or simply overlooked in the bond store. Happens with most importers. For PSA product, you can also note down the RPO number to determine the build day, which can be very important in determining correct replacement parts.

If it's a diesel and it was sold here in 2002, then it can only be a 2.0Hdi DW10 engine with the AL4 gearbox. It has no particle filter to be worried about. There is plenty of chatter about the AL4 here, but in your case, you might suspect the multi-function aka position / neutral safety switch on the gearbox if the only issue involved related to moving the gear lever. If it's more than that, then there could be a decent list if things to check. The fluid could be low or very dirty, the cooler could be blocked with friction plate debris, there could be a pressure regulation fault (which would show with a logged fault) or there could be some other unforseen issue. Try the low cost things first - oil change and level check, read faults etc..

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    Hi David,
    I have a feeling I am completely wrong and you are right, I have a 2.0 litre HDI according to photos of the engine I have just looked at. In this case, what sort of fluid should I buy?
    Hi Tintin
    If you want the definitive answer then give us your Vin number and I (or somebody) can look on the Citroen web site and get the official statement by inputting the vin. If you give me your email address, by PM is best, I can send the complete statement on your cars equipment as it left the factory.

I would be doing a scan soon to see the fault codes logged as it could be something easy, perhaps. Could there be someone with a Lexia around there who could help.

The best value oil IMHO is Penrite full synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF. Easy to get at the common auto outlets. Better than the original oil IMHO as that is now a very old spec oil.
    Cheers Jaahn

Thank you very much David S,
    You are most helpful, my car has RHZ which them confirms it to be 2.0. I will do some more research on the AL4 before attempting anything, but I hope it just needs a fluid change.
    Thanks again
    Craig

Thread Information