• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By UFO

Thread: C4 1.6HDi EGS engine/box mount?

UFO

Default C4 1.6HDi EGS engine/box mount?

Mrs UFO reports and I have heard/felt that the C4 seems to have a worn engine or gearbox mount. The car has just over 100k km on it now. Symptoms are that it seems to have more engine/box movement than previously when taking off - particularly at slight uphills.

Advertisement

Is there a common mount that goes that I should look at first? A way of checking with Mrs UFO moving the gearbox from forward to reverse etc while I watch for particular movement?

Your assistance appreciated.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Not sure about the C4, UFO, but on the 307 the top mount is usually the first to go.

It's a metal square section in a rubber collar. The collar can split causing the whole thing to rest on the damper - but I'm not sure how easy it is to see instu. An inspection mirror and torch would appear to be the go.

These pics are from Torque magazine and the article was reprinted in the Pugilist recently.

C4 1.6HDi EGS engine/box mount?-307-mount-1.jpg

C4 1.6HDi EGS engine/box mount?-307-mount-2.jpg

In the second pic you can see the bulging from the mount resting after the rubber collar has split.

I believe the C4 mount is identical to the one pictured, but a VIN search should confirm it.

If it's gone, you may hear it "clack" or thump when you start the engine.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Thanks Simon, I think you may be on the money there. Amazing that it would be a top one and therefore (relatively) easy to get to.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well, I'm only guessing, really, but based on similar km with 307s that I've read about. I think the top mount puts up with the most "violence" anyway. Coincidentally, there appears to be thousands of them for sale on eBay.

The gearbox one is always a mystery until you pull half the car apart.

The lower one is relatively easy to observe, but the usual block-mounted, driveshaft nightmare that I'm sure you are familiar with from previous vehicles.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post

The lower one is relatively easy to observe, but the usual block-mounted, driveshaft nightmare that I'm sure you are familiar with from previous vehicles.
    No, no, no, no, no, no....

Yes.

addo likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Checked it out yesterday and was surprised that it's actually easily accessible and I was able to see where it was worn. Just have to buy the correct size torx socket and the part and fitment should be easy. I hope.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

I sourced the part a couple of weeks ago along with some front brake disks and pads. All up it took about 2 1/2 hours to do the brakes and the mount. I think it actually took me longer to get the under tray off than it did to replace the mount. I needed to get the tray off to put a jack and block under the sump to support the engine.

It would have to be one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. Seven bolts - four of them male type torx heads, three female. Of course it meant I had to buy a female torx socket set - so sad...

I supported the engine, loosened the bolts, watched for movement. Then when I was satisfied it was all OK I removed the last two bolts and lifted the old mount away. Dropped the new one in place and only a slight bit of movement was required to get the first of the bolts into the body and then all was good. Tightened them all up and all is great.

Better yet, Mrs UFO who is on a long trip down south reports that all is great and she even commented the car is handling better. She did go Cooma>Tathra>Cooma last weekend so did both directions on Brown Mtn - a pretty good test.

Thanks for the early advice.

And yes the old mount is rooted. Pity you can't just buy the rubber inserts.
    SLC206 likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If only the mount was "rooted" (=affixed thereto) then it would not have needed to be replaced! My apologies.

Given the generous torque that these motors have I guess that this problem is not totally unexpected but "before time" none the less.
    By the way, I have replaced the pathetically brittle plastic (was shattered and therefore rooted) under tray with a sheet of 1 mm aluminium. Given the basic form of the tray ( no humps, indentations whatever), it was very easy to replicate.

By the way, where was the engine mount sourced from?
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

I think over 100,000km is not "before time" for an engine mount.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Sourced parts from EAI.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information