Near new Citroen buyers beware
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bruce H
  • 3 Post By JBN

Thread: Near new Citroen buyers beware

Default Near new Citroen buyers beware

Just in case you didn't notice last weekend's auction here in Brisbane, a number of hail damaged new Citroens (Berlingo, C3, C4, C5, DS3 cabrio, DS4) were sold with 2/2015 compliance plates. These vehicles have NO WOVR record, and given that the storm was last year most people won't link a 2015 vehicle with hail damage.
    It would seem prudent for anyone buying a near new Citroen with a 2/2015 compliance plate to make careful checks with Citroen Australia to ensure that all warranty conditions apply to the vehicle prior to purchase. I wasn't in the market for one, so I haven't checked, but after previous storms some manufacturers are supposed to have restricted any warranty claims on bodywork. I know some of these vehicles came with log books, but there was no reference in the auction literature to any pre-delivery having been completed.

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App
    mcaux likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Wow! These were cars in storage or on the docks pre-compliance during the storm. This will screw the used car market values further for a brand that already depreciates like crazy as it is. As they say "Buyer Beware".

JBN

If you could pick up a very cheap yellow hail damaged car, you could go the full Monty. Put a blob of orange or red paint in each hail dent and give your car a rash. Kinky. Very Citroen. Bet it would never get stolen.

John
    Lasya, Ronhic and daffyduck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Just in case you didn't notice last weekend's auction here in Brisbane, a number of hail damaged new Citroens (Berlingo, C3, C4, C5, DS3 cabrio, DS4) were sold with 2/2015 compliance plates. These vehicles have NO WOVR record, and given that the storm was last year most people won't link a 2015 vehicle with hail damage.
    It would seem prudent for anyone buying a near new Citroen with a 2/2015 compliance plate to make careful checks with Citroen Australia to ensure that all warranty conditions apply to the vehicle prior to purchase. I wasn't in the market for one, so I haven't checked, but after previous storms some manufacturers are supposed to have restricted any warranty claims on bodywork. I know some of these vehicles came with log books, but there was no reference in the auction literature to any pre-delivery having been completed.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    You would only discern whether or not a pre-delivery had been done by inspecting the cars service log book. My ex factory-driven car (not Citroen) did not have a pre-delivery shown in the book but it does not have any obvious paint damage showing after five years either....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    You would only discern whether or not a pre-delivery had been done by inspecting the cars service log book. My ex factory-driven car (not Citroen) did not have a pre-delivery shown in the book but it does not have any obvious paint damage showing after five years either....
    My question is what happens regarding insurances, I thought hail damage undeclared voided claims ?

Citroen weren't the only manufacturer selling new cars at this auction. But they were, from, memory, the only ones complianced 2015. Some new cars had made it onto the WOVRegister as repairable write-off and lots of others hadn't. So it shouldn't really do anything to depreciation rates on Citroens specifically.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by madmanau View Post
    My question is what happens regarding insurances, I thought hail damage undeclared voided claims ?
    Simply have your purchase checked over by the RACQ and if they find nothing it either doesn't exist or it's their fault if you have then subsequently insured with them..........
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

There is a world wide company that has team of repairers travelling the world pulling out hail damage dents.

They store their tools in a shipping container and move this in the country to the city where the hail occurred, Brisbane.

They are brilliant, they never repaint a car

Wholesalers, insurance companies get them in after they have written off the vehicle. They fix them up and resell them.

You would never know

Fellow Frogger

Well, here's a C5 wagon that is likely excellent value, but an unusual listing being a new stock car sold by a private vendor.
    2014 Citroen C5 Exclusive HDi MY14 Sports Automatic
    It's south of Sydney, asking an apparently very reasonable $38K (clearly plus rego, duty etc.) with only 9 km (delivery) on the clock and still covered in plastic inside. There may be some other explanation, such as coming from one of the recently closed dealers, but I think you'd check the VIN to see if has any hail issue recorded. Also, who knows if it had a proper pre-delivery job performed?

1000+ Posts

Betcha it has, and betcha it's connected to Corbans. I'm tempted.

David, the problem is that these cars had no WOVR listing, so it may not be that easy to check the VIN against anything.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger

Yes, it may well be difficult for the average buyer to check, but I doubt it would make a lot of practical difference and probably just presents an opportunity to buy a car at a good discount. I didn't see the auction listing, so I don't know what the terms of the sale were. They may even have been sold off as notionally 'used' or 'demo' cars. If they are not recorded as a salvaged write-off and there is no unrepaired damage, then I can't see why any insurer would have any problem. If they were not written-off, then I'd assume any damage was not that significant and the car could be repaired to as new condition. Questions for a dealer if buying I suppose. Like the Newcastle flood cars (different situation though), which still surface apparently, there may be some discounted 'new' or 'delivery km' cars appearing in odd places and that's where you have less chance of knowing.
    Last edited by David S; 21st March 2015 at 01:22 AM.

Thread Information