Caravan towing
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Caravan towing

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! Ceenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Devonport, Holiday Coast
    Posts
    492

    Default Caravan towing

    Has anyone installed a brake controller on a Citroen C5 X7 vehicle and if so where have they tracked the wiring from the battery to the cabin area.

    Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

  2. #2
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    Has anyone installed a brake controller on a Citroen C5 X7 vehicle and if so where have they tracked the wiring from the battery to the cabin area.
    Multiplexed wiring ... It'll be built into the rear harness and likely very expensive. What I would do is use a cheap wiring bypass kit:

    eg:
    Universal 7 Way Bypass Relay Towing Electrics / Towbar Wiring | eBay

    It just a bunch of relays nicely mounted onto a PCB ... Then like all the aussies fit there brake controllers, run a big chunky and lightweight power wire the lengh of the car underneath (just follow the brake lines or similar). One brings the 12volts from the brake lights forward to feed the brake controller, the other feed lots of power back to your anderson plug to power the brakes.

    cheap and easy, and anyone can understand how it works just by following the wiring as your going "around" the mutiplexed stuff. This *may* over-ride any anti-sway built into the cars stability program as it won't get enabled (it'll also not switch off the reverse sensors).

    If the C5 does have "anti-sway" .... you want it enabled.... Deeply impressive right ?



    Look at the defender rocking and rolling on the trailer.... I can't believe it doesn't spin out and roll.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    936

    Default

    I don't have any help for you on the Citroen wiring, but I would recommend looking at one of these:

    Tow-Pro? Electric Trailer Brake Controller - REDARC which I bought from Redarc TOW PRO Ebrh ACC Remote Electric Trailer Brake Controller Caravan Crimp | eBay who is a reliable seller I've used a bunch of times.

    I spent a long time looking for such a product to have the controller box hidden under the dash, instead of hitting my knee on it constantly. It also appears to be a very good controller with 3 axis accelerometer control of braking instead of the traditional pendulum system.

    I'm still to install mine in the Audi, having an issue finding the correct wires to use with the complex networking. I'm sure it's possible though, and I'll get it to a specialist auto elec soon.
    This article gives you an idea of the likely solution.
    News ? REDARC Electronics

  4. #4
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    I don't have any help for you on the Citroen wiring, but I would recommend looking at one of these:

    Tow-Pro? Electric Trailer Brake Controller - REDARC which I bought from Redarc TOW PRO Ebrh ACC Remote Electric Trailer Brake Controller Caravan Crimp | eBay who is a reliable seller I've used a bunch of times.

    I spent a long time looking for such a product to have the controller box hidden under the dash, instead of hitting my knee on it constantly. It also appears to be a very good controller with 3 axis accelerometer control of braking instead of the traditional pendulum system.

    I'm still to install mine in the Audi, having an issue finding the correct wires to use with the complex networking. I'm sure it's possible though, and I'll get it to a specialist auto elec soon.
    This article gives you an idea of the likely solution.
    News ? REDARC Electronics


    You have convinced me with the simple "Make In Australia" label written on it

    You can apply the brakes yourself still ? The main reason I'd like electric brakes fitted to by trailers/caravans is so I can apply the trailers brakes .... and accelerate the car if I get any swaying !

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Ceenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Devonport, Holiday Coast
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Thanks for the replies. I was looking for guidance on wire routing and nothing else. I have the multiplexing bypass from UK and Aussie made GSF XL12 for brake controlling. The soundproofing etc on the X7 is so good that it will be easier to set up the C5 series ll R which is far more accessible via the LHS wheel well.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

  6. #6
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking for guidance on wire routing and nothing else. I have the multiplexing bypass from UK and Aussie made GSF XL12 for brake controlling. The soundproofing etc on the X7 is so good that it will be easier to set up the C5 series ll R which is far more accessible via the LHS wheel well.
    Oh I see.... electric handbrake, electric speedo, no choke cable ... leaves not many holes in the firewall to choose from. The evaporator will be right into the heater box so out. I'll have a look at the 407 when it comes home and see if I can see a way inside without drilling holes.... Um.... Bonnet release cable? Can you feed wiring down beside it's grommet
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! Ceenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Devonport, Holiday Coast
    Posts
    492

    Default

    I'll get the telescopic mirror out. I think a surgeon's telescopic light may be the go!
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

    You have convinced me with the simple "Make In Australia" label written on it

    You can apply the brakes yourself still ? The main reason I'd like electric brakes fitted to by trailers/caravans is so I can apply the trailers brakes .... and accelerate the car if I get any swaying !

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Didn't realise you'd replied, so maybe you've already researched but yes, you can apply the brakes at will.
    the control knob can be adjusted up and down for braking power, and pressed to apply.
    there are two modes. Fully proportional based on the accelerometers in the unit, or more simple on and off based on the power level selected with the knob.

    I did a lot of research, and this appears to be pretty unique thus far compared to the tekonsha etc options.
    All that said, I havent actually installed it yet, as i dont yet have a trailer with electric brakes, it's a low priority. I couldnt resist buying it though.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

    Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •