where have all the DS's for sale gone
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: where have all the DS's for sale gone

Default where have all the DS's for sale gone

Has anyone else noticed that there are hardly any DS's for sale these days. There used to always be a couple to choose from on car sales, now there are regularly none. A bit sad really as we know they are out there. Now one has to look overseas to see any to dream about. I think the people who own them should sell them more frequently. Don't be boring (not to mention selfish) and only have one car for ever, come on, there are so many other great cars out there to experience, sell sell sell those old DS's while they are still worth something and while there are still a few old men who even want one. Soon they will all be dead and then where will you be, stuck with a weird old car that no one can remember seeing or riding in as an impressionable kid. You won't be able to give them away. (I am looking forward to this time [not being an old man myself] as there will be fully restored E types for 3 or 4 grand, 300 SL's for the cost of a 5 year old Corrola, DS's for free!) can't wait.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

There are fewer on the roads, that's for sure. You go a long time without seeing a D now. But I've been pleasantly surprised how many D Specials seem to have come up over the last couple of months. Still a few on gumtree I think. I've got another one now after a 3 year drought, and it's a reminder of why we keep them. This one isn't going anywhere! Keep looking for the right one.

Tim

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    .... Soon they will all be dead and then where will you be, stuck with a weird old car that no one can remember seeing or riding in as an impressionable kid. You won't be able to give them away. (I am looking forward to this time [not being an old man myself] as there will be fully restored E types for 3 or 4 grand, 300 SL's for the cost of a 5 year old Corrola, DS's for free!) can't wait.
    cheers Tony
    Suggest you get out early then. Would I be overpaying by offering you $3K for your SM? Go on, beat the herd!

The sheer numbers of E-Types and DS mean there will always be a good number of cars to be found with a little patience, even if many are held for the long-term. However, there is a real potential value issue for owners of cars that have little appeal to a younger generation or do not fit into the speculative investment class. I think an example of the latter could be a make like Aston-Martin, where there were never that many built to begin with and a large number survive, yet it seems the majority of surviving production is perpetually for sale at ambit asking prices. At the other end, there are many older owners who have a real worry about what will become of their cherished oddball car as they become too old to retain them. The DS, E-Type and 300SL should all have ongoing interest to support values to some extent, but others will struggle for appreciation as time goes by. Some will revert to being worth very little or only useful as static displays (or scrap).
    addo and ScotFrog like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I just checked ... THe D's are where I left them last time I drove them... Phew
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Dees have been for a while, an odd "piggy-in-the-middle" situation. Commanding prices often approaching some of the US market classics yet comparatively underresourced in the supply of spares (it baffles me that you cannot yet obtain correct and complete metal bonnets, doors and guards as reproduction). I believe the ultimate resolution of this situation (whichever way it falls) will determine the Dee's fate in vehicle history.

As an ID owner, I deliberately sought an orphan model in the hope of it being owned by less people, and less altered over time. Whether you call it provenance or fidelity, not everyone wants a collagen-injected, Botoxed-up, surgically implanted town bike.

Who cares how much they are worth in the future ... .drive them and enjoy them. I never intend selling any of my junk, so it's value isn't really relevant.
    CarNut and Boyracer like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

A fairly honest looking DSpecial sold at shannons auction last night. I saw it at the CCCNSW meeting held there. Apart from some evidence of attempts to stop the roof from leaking it looked like a nice unmolested car.

know what it wnt for Bryce? Don't answer that, $12500. Not bad a figure for a DSpecial, looked pretty good from photos, although we know the real truth of any cars makeup goes far beyond its cosmetic appearance. I've mentioned before Ds are asking solid prices in France if you look at Leboncoin for example. They are clearly sought after.
    I know fort the work and replacements of parts I' ve put into mine I' d have to be desparate to sell at that price though, the motor is worth over 60% of that alone!
    No once you've got one hard to part with : )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 3rd March 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I just checked ... THe D's are where I left them last time I drove them... Phew
    Did you not notice the suspicious lurker in a kilt then?

ScotFrog

This is the sort of market support required for third front Dees:

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com...7FBCollage.jpg About $20K plus freight and GST once landed.

There's still a few doing the rounds.
    CITROEN for sale in Australia - JustCars.com.au

Well my wife just bought one. Can't be that hard to find.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

it's annoying a 2CV can command a higher price than a good D! Disgusting really. That should start an argument! : )
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Fancy, an SM for sale just up the road in Mortlake!

Noooo, I don't need it.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Fancy, an SM for sale just up the road in Mortlake!

Noooo, I don't need it.

Roger
    I think you desperately need an SM ... make it a 3litre Djet 5spd manual with euro lights......... I'll keep it stored under cover for you .... and make sure to give it the "occasional" run to keep it in good shape

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon3

I've been reliably informed there are around 8000 ID/DS registered in the Netherlands alone. . .
    ? Citroën DS21 Pallas 1967 - Oldtimers - Marktplaats.nl
    Love the leather in this one, aged very nicely

I wonder how many we have registered in Aus. . .??

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The things I could tell you....
    Well? The good ones change hands in a flash with just a phone call.
    And there is pretty much nothing outside of that.
    Houston? We have a problem.

That Dutch "DS 21" has a pedal for the brakes... :·/

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    That Dutch "DS 21" has a pedal for the brakes... :·/
    Yes, well spotted and has been the focus of some discussion on the Dutch DS forum. . .

For €26.500,00 you would expect at least one mushroom, Nice car though all the same!!

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    The things I could tell you....
    Well? The good ones change hands in a flash with just a phone call.
    And there is pretty much nothing outside of that.
    Houston? We have a problem.
    I think that is much the same the world over, word of mouth for those in the loop, these cars change hands without the need to be advertised. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

CITROEN for sale in Australia - JustCars.com.au
    The buggers are starting to appreciate a bit. >35 years ago the old man bought 5 1st & 2nd nose Ds for a grand, including a Safari!

Would this be worth a look?
    1975 CITROEN D SPECIAL DELUXE in TWO WELLS SA FOR SALE - JustCars.com.au

Local to me. Been looking for a DS for a long term daily driver/project for a while, not too many about in SA atm

For 11k, what would you be expecting?
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

why not! read Rudy Heligs buyers guide if feeling under informed. There was a Slopey dash 21 in WA awhile back, crap paint, THAT would be a good buy, it was around 8K from memory, round December advertised on here? I dunno.

Am I right in saying this is a D Super, rather than a DS tho? It has the 2175 engine and a 4sp by the looks of it.

What do they loose out on compared to the DS?
    From my reading it appears that the changes aren't so pronounced (ID vs DS) later on in the build life, and with this being a 75 its pretty late. Do they usually go for a lot less than a DS dollar wise?

Will read the buyers guide you mentioned - thanks mate.

Dan
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Fellow Frogger

You can't tell what it is from that conflicting information. You need more information. Ask for the chassis number if you want to know for sure what it began life as. To me it looks like a regular D Special, but could be a D Super 5. Even the poverty pack non-Pallas 23 looks much the same externally. It's possible it's a D Special with a 4 speed gearbox and a 1,985c engine fitted with 21 liners and pistons, a common upgrade. The Super 5 gearbox very likely has slightly different ratios versus a regular 21 or 23 5 speed.

It depends what you want and expect for your budget. Maybe, ask Roger Parker (oleopneumatics.com.au) if he knows of anything local on offer? Do you want a car you can drive away now or possibly a project for restoration? There are many different price points, complexities and costs involved, but the better specified models with Pallas trim will almost always fetch a better resale than something lower in the food chain. Chassis condition is very important and can be disguised with shiny panels and a lot of underseal, so getting to know the horrors that can be found and what to look for would be a good start.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information