GS tyres?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GS tyres?

1000+ Posts

Default GS tyres?

Although contemporary road tests rated it as inferior in handling to its rival, the Alfasud, the GS was nonetheless considered to be an interesting steer.

Conceivably some current GS owners like to punt their beasties rather than pootle them, &, if there are any such people on this forum,then I'd be curious to know what tyres they're using.

Obviously Michelin's 145/80-15 XZX would be used by many GS drivers on originality grounds but it's an awful tyre & would hardly be on the short list of a punter, as opposed to a pootler.

Advertisement

So, something a bit crisper with better wet grip & more benign behaviour at the limit would be nice. Given the 4.5" wheel width, constraints on options exist. Ordinarily, an automatic thought to replace 145/80 on such rims would be 165/65 or 165/70 or at a pinch, 175/70. But there isn't much in 15"; indeed, the only thing I could find was a l65/70 Maxxis. This is hardly a promising option but, dubious as it is, it might well be better than the execrable XZX. Has anyone used it?

The only other option I can think of would admittedly gear the GS down a bit but would be much, much better as a tyre for brisk work. This is the Continental EcoContactEP in 145/65 (fronts for the first Smart). I'd use it without hesitation if I had a GS.

Are there other options out there or do those interested in fanging the GS a bit simply endure the XZX?

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 1st March 2015 at 02:09 PM.

Are you thinking of expanding the fleet?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Are you thinking of expanding the fleet?
    not really (although I've always fancied a wagon) - more just curiosity as tyres in oz become a more difficult matter for our beasties

cheers! Peter

For proper fanging of a GS, I once fitted some high end Pirellis in 205/50 to the front, while retaining 165/80 XZXs in the back (nothing much bigger will fit under the rear guards).

You can probably guess the effect this had in the car's balance - oversteer in any normal GS is generally a rare thing. But not then it wasn't.

Might know where you might find one in Tassie (not mine). PM me if interested...

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    For proper fanging of a GS, I once fitted some high end Pirellis in 205/50 to the front, while retaining 165/80 XZXs in the back (nothing much bigger will fit under the rear guards).

You can probably guess the effect this had in the car's balance - oversteer in any normal GS is generally a rare thing. But not then it wasn't.
    As some might know, I favour such use of different tyre sizes to balance the handling behaviour of an inherently unbalanced vehicle. (Much can be achieved by playing with tyre pressure differences too.) And, for my taste, for fanging, one is better off with a vehicle set up for a neutral to oversteer balance. It is much tidier & easier to control a moving tail than a loss of steering when the limit is breached. Below that point, the car is more agile & point-able.

That said, I would not have predicted that the extent of your tyre differential would work well &, without personal experience of the GS, I would have been more inclined to favour something like 185/60 at the front. I would also have been worried about the interaction of much a wide, low profile, tread will the GS suspension geometry (at least I assume that it has Citroen's favoured, but positive camber inducing, combination of front pure leading & rear pure trailing arm suspension).

Obviously a 205/50 tyre would not suit a 4.5" wheel width; I assume that you had a pair of wheels modified with wider rims.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Thanks anyway but the window has passed. I ended up, serially, with a pair of much used & liked Renault R12 Virage wagons. To tidy them a bit more, I had R17 anti-rollbars fitted - transformative - &, as talked of above, employed a mild tyre size difference (175/70 F & 165/80 or 165/75 R) until the availability of even half way decent rears faded & I switched to 175/70 all round with more of a tyre pressure differential. These were basically my wife's cars & were replaced by Foresters. My second R12, now modified with an R18 motor & 5-speed transaxle, still lives on as my mechanic's car; I get to drive it periodically when a toy is being worked on.

Regrettably, my capacity to move beyond 4 toys is limited & a GS would not head the list anyway. Nonetheless, & despite the beauty of the Goddess, I've always liked the GS more than anything else Citroen has done.

I hope that we'll see the BiRotor at a FCCT/CCCT meeting some time - perhaps it could appear on the Parliament House lawns next Bastille day.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information