C5 front shock
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 front shock

Tadpole

Default C5 front shock

The front RHS shock absorber (strut??) on my C5 V6 (facelift) became incontinent after raising the car to change a wheel. A considerable amount of hydraulic fluid has leaked out,and an urgent repair must be made before the hydraulic pump and/or power steering is damaged.
    My question is are these shocks repairable? If not as I suspect, is it too risky sourcing a unit from a damaged car? Suggestions would be welcome!

Advertisement

Richard

1000+ Posts

Hi Richard,
    Where is the fluid coming from ?
    There is a leakoff return line attached to the strut which can fail. This can be repaired with a piece of small tube perhaps and also replaced with a new one OK.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

The front strut cylinders are a sealed unit, so not serviced. However, you probably only need the strut return hose as Jaahn notes. It's the same part for used on Xantia and XM models and runs from the strut back to a pipe on the body. You lose a lot of LDS when they fail and the clip can be difficult to reuse. It will be like this one, but there are other sources.
    Citroen C5 XM Xantia Front Suspension LEG Leak OFF Hose Pipe Clip 95050399 | eBay

You will probably need to top up the LDS. The easiest DIY way is to set the car at the lowest suspension level and add fluid so it is roughly level with the seam in the reservoir. The clips holding the engine bay covers on are released by lifting the centre up.
    Last edited by David S; 23rd February 2015 at 10:53 AM.

Tadpole

Will check those things and get back with an update. Thanks, fellas!
    Richard

hi Richard, hopefully it's only the return line , and it might just have popped out of it's position where it collects the returning fluid.
    You might find that it can just be popped back in place.
    It's a pretty unusual thing to get a large leak just from having jacked up one side of the car. It might be just that the line was stretched just enough to pull the tube/ line out of the rubber.
    Good Luck.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Richard,
    Where is the fluid coming from ?
    There is a leakoff return line attached to the strut which can fail. This can be repaired with a piece of small tube perhaps and also replaced with a new one OK.
    Jaahn
    This has happened to me. To replace the clip properly and without taking any extra time (I did it without one of these but only with great difficulty) I recommend getting Hose clip pliers. Will save you about an hour of frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    hi Richard, hopefully it's only the return line , and it might just have popped out of it's position where it collects the returning fluid.
    You might find that it can just be popped back in place.
    It's a pretty unusual thing to get a large leak just from having jacked up one side of the car. It might be just that the line was stretched just enough to pull the tube/ line out of the rubber.
    Good Luck.
    Both return hoses on my C5 front cylinders have failed over the past year releasing a little fluid, enough to leave dampish evidence under the wheel arches. Not enough to drip. The rubber hoses both failed about 15mm from the end where they join a plastic (5mm?) tube disappearing into the engine bay. On both occasions I cleaned as best as I was able, removed the 15mm torn tube ends and there was just enough slack to push the undamaged rubber tube back onto the mating plastic parts. (can just be popped back in place) as George says. I hardly lost any LDS. I'm watching them carefully now and am looking for the correct gauge rubber tubing for the next time I need to make good.

SF

Fellow Frogger

The clips and pliers are referred to as R-clips are they not? Better to replace them.

That's good news SF, I'm glad it was just a minor thing. Just keep an eye on it... check it every few weeks or so depending on how much driving you do.
    Cheers...

Thread Information