Sort of reminds me of when I first saw a DS.........
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Jinandfonic
  • 2 Post By Andy N
  • 2 Post By CarNut
  • 3 Post By alhantos

Thread: Sort of reminds me of when I first saw a DS.........

Default Sort of reminds me of when I first saw a DS.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw Anyone had a similar reaction to something on wheels?
    OMG listen to that horn whoo hoo!!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

He's been with Alexander, I suspect.

Imagine what he'd be like if he visited Thirlmere.
    UFO likes this.

THAT was very shareable! Sad. Surely he's taking the piss???
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 20th February 2015 at 09:45 PM.

I'll have what he ordered! That guy needs a cigarette....
    Andy N likes this.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    I'll have what he ordered! That guy needs a cigarette....
    And a box of kleenex!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

come come fellas. What is so odd about a grown man getting so excited by a couple of REALLY AWSOME VINTAGE LOCOMOTIVES. DID YOU HEAR THAT BELL AND SEE THE BL2 TOO. This is the stuff that legends are made of.
    cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

That bloke came in his strides over a pair of diesels, so help me...... Rather like someone doing the same over a 1985 Crappodore. Vintage?

Though I once met a young man who orgasmed to the beat of EMD locos - very strange to someone who gets nostalgic for the deep sound of a NSW steam whistle that seems to fill the whole world.

mnm

I've never been into trains but I recall waiting on a modern train in London at the station... clean, quiet, comfortable...sterile... then while we are waiting to depart this old steam train pulls in on the line next to us, it's raw mechanical rhythms vibrating through the whole carriage. So I kinda appreciate this guys enthusiasm... to a degree...

Matthew

Alright I'll confess to being a completely nuts fanatic.....a Citroen "foamer". I was blown away when I got my 2nd car, a CX back in 2004 and 2 years later after fixing it up I took it to Cit-in Dubbo.

Driving into town I spotted a DS turning at the lights and all the hairs stood up on my arms and neck and I was so excited.....and then I realised it was a pallas (wow), and then we both waved in recognition of what we were driving I was just silly with joy. To top it off we both managed to find our air horns and I was so awestruck I missed the lights going green for a few seconds
    Jinandfonic and CarNut like this.

Nice story Andy. I got my first CX in 2004 as well. It wasn't really all that exciting, but this train guy just takes the cake. He must have been living in a shoe box for 20 years.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
    Alright I'll confess to being a completely nuts fanatic.....a Citroen "foamer". I was blown away when I got my 2nd car, a CX back in 2004 and 2 years later after fixing it up I took it to Cit-in Dubbo.
    I can confess that I, too, was blown away when I got my first CX, maybe only a year or two before you, Andy......I had driven a Valiant for the previous 9 years (yes, a Valiant). I'd always liked the CXs...ever since my Dad bought me a matchbox Citroen in the late 70's. I thought the ride in my CX (a series one 4 speed manual Prestige) was just wonderful compared to the Valiant. And then I went for a ride in a mate's Series 2 XJ6 only to find that it was possibly as good, if not better. Then I went to see Lance and John at DS motors and found that my spheres all needed gassing!!!! Once I changed the spheres, I too was silly with joy. It was an amazing feeling to have driven a Valiant for all those years and then to step into such a different world where the roads suddenly get SO much smoother...........
    Andy N and Jinandfonic like this.

Great story and a CX is quite different to a Valiant isn't it, however I saw a stunningly restored one the other day. More interesting than my first car....a Sigma. Imagine going from that to a CX......it was about as different a car as you could get!

1000+ Posts

Memories;first drive in a ds19(age 15) was in 1957 when I went with mum to pick up new ds19 from Buckle Motors in Sydney;mum too frightened to brave traffic so sat in back lane until 7pm. Arrived home in Castle Hill,quick snack and a drive to the Hawkesbury Bridge. Wafting along Pennant Hills road,pulled over by motor bike plod who alleged we were doing 80m.p.h;blissful and no sensation of the speed we were doing,Andy.
    Last edited by alhantos; 22nd February 2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Jinandfonic, CarNut and Andy N like this.

I was a small boy when I saw Mallard steaming north from London at high speed.

I was too young to know what that weird sensation was

Sort of reminds me of when I first saw a DS.........-mallard_at_keighley_331767.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ley_331767.jpg
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

They are a great looking loco, but the real hair on your next feeling is hearing them working. Our first house, bought 1979, was in Bradbury, just south of Campbelltown in Sydney. You could get a very efficient bit of railway watching in Between 8:45pm and 9:30pm on the main south. First the Southern Aurora would fly through with both locos in last notch ready for the climb ahead, then the Spirit of Progress 10 minutes later. About 20 minutes later the Canberra Petrol Train clattered its way through. One evening the Spirit was in the station, stationary with guys walking around the front loco scratching their heads. Time was of the essence though as the Canberra petrol was due fairly soon. They front loco was failed, and taken off the front of the train leaving the 42 Class, similar to the E8 in the story to carry on alone. The unique sound of the 16 cylinder 2 stroke diesel, Vrm, Vrm, Vrm. Then a blast from the driver, notch up to 2 to take up the slack and notch back. Then notch 2, the train is moving, then 3, 4, 5 she gets notched up until she is giving all she can. Anybody who had the privilege of listening to that and did not get a bit emotional is brain dead.

Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

actually more like this. Turn the sound up

Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

when I got my ID, I was speechless. Overwhelmed.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

1000+ Posts

Though I once met a young man who orgasmed to the beat of EMD locos - very strange
    Greg C, was that you?

This is the real beat of locos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgijJgqXA40

1000+ Posts

I spent a lot of my childhood on the Flyer - even a cab ride! So for total orgasmic delight mixed with heaps of nostalgia, turn up the sound on this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWTYszHiKPA

(Soory, but it cannot be embedded)

Fellow Frogger!

Wow....who doesn't love a good steam train?? I remember going for a ride in a steam train when I was a kid in the early 70's....Mum and Dad took us to the Carnival of Flowers in Toowoomba, and we took a ride on a steam train to Spring Bluff. I'll never forget it.....nothing beats the sounds and smells of a steam train....absolutely fantastic. We live not far from a railway line and, Ipswich has a great Railway Museum. Occasionally we hear a steam train on the line and it makes me want to rush out and book a journey on one. Gonna have to make time for that one day, I reckon!

Fellow Frogger!

Wow....who doesn't love a good steam train?? I remember going for a ride in a steam train when I was a kid in the early 70's....Mum and Dad took us to the Carnival of Flowers in Toowoomba, and we took a ride on a steam train to Spring Bluff. I'll never forget it.....nothing beats the sounds and smells of a steam train....absolutely fantastic. We live not far from a railway line and, Ipswich has a great Railway Museum. Occasionally we hear a steam train on the line and it makes me want to rush out and book a journey on one. Gonna have to make time for that one day, I reckon!

Thread Information