C5 or Peugeot 407 tow bar
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: C5 or Peugeot 407 tow bar

Default C5 or Peugeot 407 tow bar

Hey Froggies,
    does anyone know if the towbar for a C5 would be the same part and therefore compatible with a Peugeot 407 ? Would the wiring also be compatible?

Cheers...

Advertisement

2004 C5 V6

previous.... 1996 Xantia VSX Auto.
    1978 CX C-matic
    1968 DS Hydraulique Semi Auto DS 21.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hey Froggies,
    does anyone know if the towbar for a C5 would be the same part and therefore compatible with a Peugeot 407 ? Would the wiring also be compatible?

Cheers...

2004 C5 V6

previous.... 1996 Xantia VSX Auto.
    1978 CX C-matic
    1968 DS Hydraulique Semi Auto DS 21.
    If you're looking for someone with a C5 towbar fitted, I'm your man. (2002 Hdi) Just let me know what details you need, or photos and I'll post.

Fellow Frogger

I think a lot of the C5 towbars were locally made, so may differ to what Pug used - different importers at that point. There are also slight differences between sedan and wagons and also between S1 and 2 versions. Later cars had a deeper rear bar, so the towbars differ for at least that reason.

Fellow Frogger!

the electronics for tow bars are different on these models not conpatable as c5 were using bypass wiring

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    If you're looking for someone with a C5 towbar fitted, I'm your man. (2002 Hdi) Just let me know what details you need, or photos and I'll post.
    Hi ScottFrog, was your towbar on the car when you bought it or did you have it fitted? Is it locally made or a French one? Was it expensive?
    Are you keeping it?
    What type of wiring socket is it, and there seems to be some very special and very expensive wiring issue that is involved with a C5, apparently you cannot just hook up wires like you could on any 'normal' car.
    Any ideas would be helpful.
    cheers...

Thanks David.... this could be a pretty rare beast to find...

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    the electronics for tow bars are different on these models not conpatable as c5 were using bypass wiring
    I'm thinking it would be to switch off the reversing sensor...that's all I can think as to why there has to be some special set up worth $300.00.

1000+ Posts

Not a C5, but take a peek at 307 - Tow Bar - powered for brakes/indicators etc for a method with very low current relays. You can buy a ready-made in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi ScottFrog, was your towbar on the car when you bought it or did you have it fitted? Is it locally made or a French one? Was it expensive?
    Are you keeping it?
    What type of wiring socket is it, and there seems to be some very special and very expensive wiring issue that is involved with a C5, apparently you cannot just hook up wires like you could on any 'normal' car.
    Any ideas would be helpful.
    cheers...
    I bought the car in Queensland (Apples for apples they appeared to be $1500 less than identical Victorian cars) and it gave me an opportunity to get up to a little mayhem with my brother.
    It was a Toowoomba car and very well fitted out including towbar which looks to be genuine Citroen. Pic 1.
    The wiring socket is a Narva and I had to browse a Repco store to find an adapter (2nd picture) The sales guy said 'no chance mate!' and was a bit miffed when I found it under his nose. About $25.00 from memory. Electrics work OK.
    I can measure if you want details but you're in Melbourne like me. Send me a PM if it's easier to catch up and grovel under the car.C5 or Peugeot 407 tow bar-20150219_cittow-.jpgC5 or Peugeot 407 tow bar-20150219_cittow-b.jpg

SF

Thanks SF... good info. I might make contact and have a look underneath....grovel grovel...ha ha... thanks.

Your bumper has the socket on it . so the proper tech wiring is already there....

I will have to keep checking the Wreckers till I find one...

cheers..

1000+ Posts

Default Tow bars and wires !!

Hi George 1/8th
    I made a towbar up for mine. I used a Triton bar, from memory, and modified the end plates to suit some custom ones. Not rocket science really. I have done a couple before. I had a car trailer and a caravan so they towed them OK over the years without a problem. I cut the bumper plastic to get a neat hole and no loss of clearance.

For the wiring I trawled the UK ebay and purchased a genuine C5 kit for a very modest amount delivered. It is surprising what is available over there as these cars are now obselete there

However there are non genuine wiring kits to suit can bus cars from towbar suppliers in England. They are readily available there as opposed to a complete lack of information about them here. We seem to have a lot of dic* heads here supplying towbars here. There are technical reasons to need a kit that I could detail but am in a hurry now. SHMBO has frowned.
    Cheers Jaahn

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Look on ebay UK. shop around all the sellers for the best postage amount. The wiring bypass kit is quite cheap.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks Jaahn, thanks Shane...

The main issues to look at are chopping the rear fogs when a trailer is plugged in, and disabling the reverse sensors similarly. If you ignore both these then solid state relays should do the trick. There will be one or two wires from the maxi fuse box (not live, yet) that can be picked up in the tail harness to feed power to the switched side of your relays.

The most elegant harnesses are the genuine, but they seem to be often €100 upwards, plus post in France.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I think addo is understating the need for a set of relays to run the trailer wiring. The C5 and also other modern cars monitor the current to almost everything, so if you put another bulb in the circuits of the lights it detects a fault. So that means lots of faults as you drive. Also there may be other things to turn off when you connect as said.

When I fitted my genuine harness all wires were there in the back to operate it. The bus wires and the power for the unit. The activation for the trailer lights had a female/male connectors to sense the car lights on each side from the original light connectors. I replaced the original French trailer sockets with an Australian type also. It had a switch to tell when the trailer was plugged in to turn the system on.
    Jaahn
    addo likes this.

Thanks Jaahn,
    I would have thought the switch would have been to turn off the reversing sensor when the trailer is connected.
    cheers..

I think the reverse sensors are either disabled by a CAN signal or a spoofed return. If you simply chop the sensor line with a mechanical switch or solid state relay it will display faults on your central display and log them.

Look for the best price on 9428.76 if your ORGA number is 10173 or below.
    Last edited by addo; 22nd February 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information