500 KLM for nothing...
  • Register
  • Help
    WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 500 KLM for nothing...

If I was more attentive, I could have saved myself a trip.....

Advertisement

The clock spring behind the steering wheel in my year 2000 XM is toast and, I had been down to Roger Wilkensons' place near Warnambool a couple of times for parts. You would think that I would have noticed that his cars are earlier and do not have radio controls on the steering wheels thus denoting that the wiring behind the wheel is completely different.

Nice drive though - car ran faultlessly (apart from the flashing "airbag" light).

Guess I will have to do the rounds of the wreckers looking for a Peugeot 605....

Warren

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    If I was more attentive, I could have saved myself a trip.....

The clock spring behind the steering wheel in my year 2000 XM is toast and, I had been down to Roger Wilkensons' place near Warnambool a couple of times for parts. You would think that I would have noticed that his cars are earlier and do not have radio controls on the steering wheels thus denoting that the wiring behind the wheel is completely different.

Nice drive though - car ran faultlessly (apart from the flashing "airbag" light).

Guess I will have to do the rounds of the wreckers looking for a Peugeot 605....

Warren
    About round trip from here to Malibu. Not short, but enjoyable.

May I make a suggestion, having gone the path? Copy down the part number, and see if it is really just 605/XM. It may also be then-current 405, Berlingo, and so on. I would check anything in the PSA range for that P/N that has steering wheel controls, but without airbags. Also, before you pull that clockspring, make absolutely 100% certain that wheel is on center before you pull it. Avoid one where the wheel spins freely. An in/out test with a simple continuity check at the terminals is not a bad idea, and pretty easy to do.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have access to the Cit parts site but, it is not listed or illustrated anywhere.....Just the housing and 2 side switches

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I think the only way I am going to be able to sort this is to "fool" the airbag controller that the airbag is still working. I do not care about the radio controls as they never worked anyway... Anyone know what resistance I should use? (yes, I know it is illegal!)

There were just not enough of these made for me to be able to find a wrecked one and, without a part number I cannot check other manufactures

Icon6

(yes, I know it is illegal!)
    G'day,
    you drive a French car, don't you worry about that.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Might need to get a roadworthy - I want to get back into a CX

Nice Sunday drive in a comfy car and you got to say hello to me!

So did you keep the steering wheel from the green car after all?

Roger

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The one I removed today, I put back on but, forgot to bring back the single spoke one. I will be doing some touring of the south coast in a month or to (Just to get out of the bloody house - I can work on a laptop) so, I can drop it off then. I will let you know when I will be in your area.

Cheers and thanks

Warren

When I saw the thread title I thought I was about to be engaged by another of those sites that claim you can run your car on water......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will give it a try Kim - let you know what happens

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I will give it a try Kim - let you know what happens
    It's an XM ... it'll probably do it itself for you soon...... The bonus of them adding coolant into the combustion process is it make the piston and compression area lovely and clean.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: You don't want a CX ... there no challenge at all to work on compared to an XM....
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have actually seen a V6 with the head off and the cylinders filled with green fluid - saves having to de-coke them....

Fellow Frogger

Do you mean this rotating switch? The parts diagram shows it changed from RP 6931, which is some time late 1995. I believe they are common to a later Xantia and some Xsaras. This is different to a Comm unit as found in all later models like the C5, which is an integrated assembly with a clockspring and stalks. With the XM, you can change the stalks separately.

There is also a steering angle sensor for the Hydractive suspension, listed under Suspension - Hydroactive Suspension as part# 527324. It seems to be common to Hydractive Xantias after RP 6384 (May 1994).

All are listed as still available by the part numbers. However, I suspect 4112X7 may actually be NFP/NLA.

500 KLM for nothing...-xm_laterotatingswitch.jpg

p.s. Another NFP part is the little push to open spring catch for the keypad cover 7588F0. There may still be some dealer stock, but I have a small supply of a replacement part to fix that if needed.
    Last edited by David S; 17th February 2015 at 08:03 PM.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thank you David,

that is the part. Mine has the radio controls.
    The steering wheel angle sensor just clips in front of it as well.
    My keypad door is broken so, please PM me with cost.

cheers

Warren

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

PS can you give me the part number for #7 also (it is cropped of the bottom of the list) The circuit board on mine got cooked with the rest of the electrics

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

pppps Can you please let me know what section you found that diagram within the Cit parts list?

thanks

Fellow Frogger

Something like ...
    The rotating switch is in Steering-Steering Wheel Controls. Then choose the Airbag after RP 6931 option.
    The angle sensor is under Suspension-Suspension system, then choose Hydroactive Suspension W/O anti-roll (i.e. not Activa) from a very long list.

Part number for #7 is given as 6239A5, but also marked as NFP/NLA. Seems to be unique to the XM II. There may be similar parts in a Xantia you can work with or you'll need to chase it from Europe.

The keypad part I have is the part that fits in the console. You have to remove the keypad and surround to get at it. If the lug on the door is missing, then the bit I have won't fix it. Send me a pm with your name and postal address.

You can have ABS warnings for a range of reasons of course and warnings are common on an XM. The brake switch is part of the pedal pad and then you also have the various connectors to give grief.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, I will check the keypad cover tomorrow

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

All steering wheel electrics are still available (universal across a number of models). Not very expensive from my supplier in France...

Thread Information