• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By daffyduck
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: steering wheel angle DS

Default steering wheel angle DS

just want to confirm the steering wheel arm/spke sits at 30" below horizontal on left on RHD as it does on LHD?

Advertisement

and the spring on the column fits at the top of the sleeve?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    just want to confirm the steering wheel arm/spke sits at 30" below horizontal on left on RHD as it does on LHD?

and the spring on the column fits at the top of the sleeve?
    This should help with the column assembly. . .

For the spoke angle, I aim for around 4 o'clock at straight ahead.

Edit Looks like the images are from different sources, ignore the numbering

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel angle DS-column-assembly.jpg   steering wheel angle DS-tool-1191-t.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks Chris, so you're flipping the symmetry over Chris? The LHD wheel sits at 30" below on left so was it factory practice to flip over on the RHD, 4 o clock? I have 814 manual for setup, special tools, the steering staright line cam also fits onto the rack and not the dhaft of the steering wheel. The reason I ask about the spring is I'm sure when I dismantled it the spring had been put on the cam side of the tube.

Icon3

Thanks Chris, so you're flipping the symmetry over Chris? The LHD wheel sits at 30" below on left so was it factory practice to flip over on the RHD, 4 o clock? I have 814 manual for setup, special tools, the steering staright line cam also fits onto the rack and not the dhaft of the steering wheel. The reason I ask about the spring is I'm sure when I dismantled it the spring had been put on the cam side of the tube.
    The assembly of the components is as per the first picture, so the spring is at the wheel end. . .

. . . but you are correct,the straight ahead cam fits to the steering column spline!! That first pic is incorrect in the context of our cars perhaps an earlier model (non power steering)? I forget where I sourced

I understand the steering wheel spoke is set to guide your body to the centre of the cabin in the case of an accident, and the wheel itself will hinge toward the dash - (I've not tested this theory). So, mirrored for RHD. It also gives a comfortable driving position with your elbow resting on the door arm rest. 4 - 4:30 seems to be the accepted position.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

the 814 manual starts at 1965, no idea when the cam set up changed? So I'll take your advice thankyou Chris on wheel angle! I 've looked at the owners manual and there is no evidence in it of any particular angle for RHD, some keft side phots show the correct position for left, the shots of RHD dash/wheel show the spoke vertical which was more likely the photographer/ whoever decided then and there that was the best angle for a photo! (even the main LHD dash image!) It would of course be highly logical Captain that the symmetry was flipped for a RHD.

btw Chris have you got any choke knob decals?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel angle DS-image.jpg   steering wheel angle DS-image.jpg  
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 15th February 2015 at 01:46 PM.

The spoke setting is also determined by your ability to hold the spoke with your arm on the door panel rest. RHD is opposite LHD.
    UFO likes this.

Icon3

btw Chris have you got any choke knob decals?
    I'll have to go looking, should have, but where

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon11 Manual 614

Confirmation from manual 614

haha, looking at the steering wheel it could have been drawn by Maurits Cornelis Escher, it really does my head in

The real puzzle though when fitting a steering wheel that was not originally on your car is the position of the steering lock collar clamp. . . agaaaahhh!! How many times have I adjusted that collar position and still not got it right!!!! Yes, there are teeth imprints on the column that should give a good starting point but. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel angle DS-steering-column-bvm.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

on mine the bracket lives in the gear selector bracket, like most BVM I expect, the steering lock isn't there as I understand. Better have a look next time I'm down at the shed, in manual 648 section 1-334/5 you can see what I mean, I just assumed there was no lock on it per DSpecial 74 model. I assume also the steering wheel is original so the cam set up is a late version as is it being on the rack.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 15th February 2015 at 02:49 PM.

Icon3

on mine the bracket lives in the gear selector bracket, like most BVM I expect, the steering lock isn't there as I understand. Better have a look next time I'm down at the shed, in manual 648 section 1-334/5 you can see what I mean, I just assumed there was no lock on it per DSpecial 74 model. I assume also the steering wheel is original so the cam set up is a late version as is it being on the rack.
    Not sure what you mean Steven. . .

Your car should have a steering lock (anti theft device). You should have a two piece collar clamped to the steering column - fitted before the column/wheel is inserted from the inside of the car. The lock mechanism is part of the ignition switch, with the key withdrawn and the wheel turned a pin will locate a hole on the collar preventing further movement of the steering wheel.

The position of the collar is critical to the function, a test of patience to get it correctly located. Adjustment can only be made by withdrawing the steering column.

This is a mirror of our RHD set-up, but you get the idea. . .

The two piece collar is marked #3

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering wheel angle DS-steering-lock.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I don't have the collar I don't think....

You'll need one, it also limits the fore and aft movement!!

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

A few observations that may or may not be relevant.

The position of the spring matters more in a BVH car than a BVM because there is little clearance against the gear valve.

The earliest DS had no sleeve, just the spring. To release the clamp you had to remove the glove box and go in from there with a long special tool. It's also the reason why the spring compressor is the shape it is: it is designed to go right up through the firewall. And there are three different lengths of sleeve.

Early power steering cars had the cam on the steering column.

Roger
    GreenBlood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    I understand the steering wheel spoke is set to guide your body to the centre of the cabin in the case of an accident, and the wheel itself will hinge toward the dash - (I've not tested this theory). So, mirrored for RHD. It also gives a comfortable driving position with your elbow resting on the door arm rest. 4 - 4:30 seems to be the accepted position.
    Not tested? Why are you giving advice then? I expect better....
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    Not tested? Why are you giving advice then? I expect better....
    I have no intention of speaking from personal experience, but the theory has been tested. . .
    Purtroppo può succedere anche questo...
    Both the driver and car survived to tell the tale.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Don't the pics in the above link show the DS's designed in progressive crumple well.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If your ever in the dash near that ignition lock .... I'd remove the mongrel thing. Nothing worse than ending up stranded with a dead ignition and locked steering. At least you can hotwire it if your ignition dies to get home!

No-one steals DS's

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Don't the pics in the above link show the DS's designed in progressive crumple well.
    True.
    The drivetrain will drop out the bottom in a significant crash event. Absolutely fantastic machines.
    I have seen such happen.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    If your ever in the dash near that ignition lock .... I'd remove the mongrel thing. Nothing worse than ending up stranded with a dead ignition and locked steering. At least you can hotwire it if your ignition dies to get home!

No-one steals DS's

seeya
    Shane L.
    Agreed. I'd leave out the ring and/or the shaft in the lock unit (punch out the link pin) as old locks have a habit of jamming. A crack down the centre of the barrel face should give a warning that all is not well. Add a secret kill switch or even an immobiliser on an EFI version to cut the fuel pump too. Just the appearance, the awesome performance and odd handbrake would put most wannabe joyriders off. Professional thievery is quite a different proposition and, like fences, some of the anti-theft devices only stop the honest thieves.

On the engine falling out the bottom ... don't early cars have a forward facing front floor base, likely to hamper this? Later cars may behave differently.

Fellow Frogger!

David, You are correct, but either way, I believe the engine/gearbox assembly is expected to pivot and hang off the substantial tubular "water pipe" that is the upper bolted on crossmember. The rear engine mounts are only mounted on a bit of pressed tin ( why is beyond me..in terms on noise vibration and harshness ....longer castings that mean the actual mounts being be placed on something substantial about the area of the front spheres would have been a more logical site, and give a less heat prone environment for the rubber mounts )... the engine bulge and the floor below the timing case is also not terribly substantial.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a NOS collar which i think is for a Dee - the internal diameter is 40mm. Available for the cost of postage.
    roger

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I have a NOS collar which i think is for a Dee - the internal diameter is 40mm. Available for the cost of postage.
    roger
    You won't get a better offer than that Steven. . .

Roger the correct part for a late D should have spikes on the inner surface, these grip the steering column when the two halves are tightened together. I'm at work so can't check the column diametre.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

ok Roger I' up for that! I'll pm you! Now I don't recall it being there when I dismantled it, and there was no discernable play in the column... I think Shane' s idea is good too, no one is going to pinch my car here. I used to leave it unlocked in Potts Point so the junkies could get in rummage around and discover they just wasted their time as there was nothing to pinch! And they did get in because I found the glovebox lid open on several occasions. ...proving thieves try the door first!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    You won't get a better offer than that Steven. . .

Roger the correct part for a late D should have spikes on the inner surface, these grip the steering column when the two halves are tightened together. I'm at work so can't check the column diametre.

Cheers
    Chris
    Yes, it has the spikes. It came in a batch of parts I bought years ago from a ex-Citroen dealer, and has no part number on it but is marked 3/69 followed by the diameter symbol and 60 (which is the OD).
    roger

god that crash would shit you! I guess years ago it would be kiss it goodbye but now the pressure is on to repair! I think Eric Banana had a similar experience with his fjord...took a visit to Dr Phil to see the light. not like he couldn't afford to do it either!

is that a cam on that Italians steering column?!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 16th February 2015 at 07:50 PM.

Thread Information