C5 interior fan control unit
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 interior fan control unit

Our 2004 C5 sedan interior fan failed a year ago. We replaced the control unit that is situated above the driver's left foot with a second hand unit from a Peugeot. This was successful for about 12 months. This unit then appeared to fail ie no fan and no climate control. I removed the unit and replaced the transistor (part no. IRFP064N). Still no luck. After looking closely (use your glasses) at the two wire (black + red) connector and the appropriate two pins on the control unit, it could be seen that both pins and connector were heat damaged. I then did the unforgiveable - I cut the connector (green) off the loom replacing this with two 2.8mm spade connectors, crimping these to the existing black and red wires. ENSURE you mark the control unit for correct polarity (red to red, black to black). Fan now works perfectly. This connector is far too light to carry the current. cheers Bob

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Welcome and thanks for providing such helpful information in your first forum post. Yes, the connectors can become so hot that the solder melts where the pin joins the circuit board, leaving a dry joint. An alternative fix has been to replace the pins with two heavy wires and then join it into the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McElhenny View Post
    Our 2004 C5 sedan interior fan failed a year ago. We replaced the control unit that is situated above the driver's left foot with a second hand unit from a Peugeot. This was successful for about 12 months. This unit then appeared to fail ie no fan and no climate control. I removed the unit and replaced the transistor (part no. IRFP064N). Still no luck. After looking closely (use your glasses) at the two wire (black + red) connector and the appropriate two pins on the control unit, it could be seen that both pins and connector were heat damaged. I then did the unforgiveable - I cut the connector (green) off the loom replacing this with two 2.8mm spade connectors, crimping these to the existing black and red wires. ENSURE you mark the control unit for correct polarity (red to red, black to black). Fan now works perfectly. This connector is far too light to carry the current. cheers Bob
    This is a very good solution to a problem which has been listed a couple of times. I went down the track of replacing the thermistor on this board but in retrospect it is as Bob says heat damage due to an inadequate connector doing too much work.

SF

The Xantia had similar issues. Most of it caused by a mystery loss of good earth to the fan. So I would do whatever you have so far, replace under-engineered connections with bigger ones, AND get an additional Earth connection to the earth side of the fan and connect the end to a very large and secure Earthing point on the body/ firewall or something so the problem remains FIXED.
    cheers...

Thread Information