2CV wiring to rear
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2CV wiring to rear

Hi all
    I'm wiring up a 2cv reversing light for ADR compliance....I've put the switch on the rear of the gearbox (drilling and tapping this was the easy bit, taking the engine and box out to get to it was a pain!)

I'm about to run the wiring - I know that there is a spare wire in the loom running to the tail lights - I've located that at the rear....but does anyone know where the other end comes out? Would save me a lot of grief unwrapping and testing.

Advertisement

thanks
    Tim

My last 2cv, 1988 Charleston, had a wire near the battery. LHD car. Lh side of car. Steering wheel side.

Fellow Frogger!

Tim
    When mine was done we used existing fog light wiring and like you tapped into the gearbox. So long ago now I have forgotten where it came out. But that may be a start, is there a switch for the fog light perhaps.
    Mine was a UK car, yours should be similar.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

JBN

I did the same as Peter O. Not having a gearbox back plate with the reversing switch moulding, I just use the rear fog light switch on the dash which is wired to the reversing light. I don't go out in foggy weather in the 2CV so I am happy not to have the fog light.

At the worst, it is easy to run another wire from the battery area to the rear.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hate to break it to you Tim, but you may need to remove the instrument cluster and search in that cubby for your wire(s). The way a 2CV is wired out, everything pretty much flows from there. Mark wires as you need to where they came from, and take pics if necessary.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

thanks for the fast responses - mine's a 1988 Dolly.
    I'll take a look in those places and see if I can locate it...if not I'll re-direct the fog light wiring. If I find it I'll post a photo for future reference

I just had some fun ripping out the crazy UK dim-dip lights wiring (2 relays and the world's biggest resistor mounted on the front of the chassis)

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lee View Post
    I'll take a look in those places and see if I can locate it...if not I'll re-direct the fog light wiring. If I find it I'll post a photo for future reference

I just had some fun ripping out the crazy UK dim-dip lights wiring (2 relays and the world's biggest resistor mounted on the front of the chassis)
    Do you have a diagram/photo of how you rewired it.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

You had DRLs on that thing?? I thought that was just a US/Canadian affectation! Good on you for ridding your duck of that absolutely useless feature.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Well it wasn't too tough after all. although I forgot to mention the one going to the "rear" only makes it to about 2 inches behind the passenger seat, opposite the interior light. It goes through the bulkhead and appears just above the battery.

So for the complete solution, I've taken a +12v ignition switched feed from the fuse box (outbound!), dropped that down to the gearbox switch. I'll then run from the other terminal to the spare wire on the bulkhead, then add a wire from the head lining down to the tail lights, in line with the current loom under the trim. The earth just needs to run to the chassis.

any suggestions for glue to fix the felt back to the body?

2CV wiring to rear-wire2.jpg2CV wiring to rear-wire1.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Lee; 12th February 2015 at 03:40 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Love the other vehicle seen through the window in the first shot - Who's is it?
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Love the other vehicle seen through the window in the first shot - Who's is it?
    it's where I keep all my other project cars . don't tell the wife!

Fellow Frogger!

Ah plenty of space inside, and easy to move
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

JBN

any suggestions for glue to fix the felt back to the body?
    Just a contact adhesive like Kwikgrip, or better still the gel version (Kwikgel?) as that won't drip down onto the seats. I relined both my cars with felt from Bunnings and used a contact gel.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Do you have a diagram/photo of how you rewired it.

John
    For removing the dim-dip I followed the instructions I found here:
    your stuff @ 2cvstuff

Worked fine, basically you pull out the resistor and 2 relays and connect wire 1 to wire 5 from the 5-pin relay.

Thread Information