DS3 /C3 running temperature / overheating?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Greg C

Thread: DS3 /C3 running temperature / overheating?

Default DS3 /C3 running temperature / overheating?

DS3 Style/ C3 second series owners - where does you temperature gauge sit in commuter traffic?
    I have to admit that I know where my Xantia gauge sits, but now when I need to know I can't remember the usual position of the needle on the DS3.
    Got the STOP temperature warning a few times last night, twice when I was inconveniently in queues in outside lanes. Coolant is in the normal position, electric fan was running slowly. On one of the occasions I put the a/c on to see if the increased fan speed made any difference, but it didn't seem to. Fan is running faster when a/c is on at cold, couldn't hear due to surrounding traffic if it was doing so when warning light was on. Temp gauge seems to rise slowly to about 2/3 following a cold start, but a stop at lights and it starts to climb. Temperature under bonnet is hot, but not incredibly so. Not absolutely sure if there's a correlation with angles off the car, but on the last run it looked like I was going to get home without a problem until the last uphill left turn, when the gauge was highish but suddenly all the lights and bells went off as I turned.
    Reading the UK DS3 forum I see a couple of people seem to have had sensor failure, but they seem to also be reporting other associated problems such as starting.
    Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

In my experience most manufacturers show the temperature gauge reading a whisker below half when everything is normal. On the Xantia the gauge half way reading is 80c & it is normal for it to rise up to 20c above that before the fans switch to high. If it goes over that the warnings light & alarm will sound & they advise you to stop, switch off, let the motor cool , & check the water level.
    It is significant in your case that when the alarm / light came on your fans didn't switch on, & despite apparently over heating, you have not lost any coolant.
    My thoughts here are that the temperature gauge sender is reading high, & that there is a separate thermo switch for the fans which is reading correctly. This suggests that the car is actually running in it's designed temperature range, & the fact that the gauge rises up to 2/3 of the reading scale shortly after starting would seem to confirm gauge sender error. It all depends on where the fan switch is situated.
    If the thermostat if failing to open at the right temperature, or not opening fully, then that could also give rise to your symptoms if the fan switch is in the radiator & water is not circulating enough to trigger it. The gauge sender would normally be in the cylinder head area or high in the block.
    Others here would be able to advise on sensor positions on your car, & offer more informed advice.
    Good luck.

Richard

Had it out for another run this morning. Gauge started heading to red just before I stopped it, could hear the fan was running faster. Came. Back to the car about 45 minutes later and within a minute of starting the gauge was in the red and all the bells and lights were going again.
    Now driving mum's Xantia until I can get the DS3 booked in.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I would not start modifying the cooling system in any way. Removing the thermostat for one thing is not the thing to do. Modern engine management needs the engine running in a narrow temp band to function correctly. Also the system will be designed as built to function in any conditions you are likely to meet. There will be some component(s) not functioning correctly which you will know when it comes back from the dealer
    jaahn and Jinandfonic like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I would not start modifying the cooling system in any way. Removing the thermostat for one thing is not the thing to do. Modern engine management needs the engine running in a narrow temp band to function correctly. Also the system will be designed as built to function in any conditions you are likely to meet. There will be some component(s) not functioning correctly which you will know when it comes back from the dealer
    Hi
    In general I agree with this. Removing the thermostat for any extended time is not recommended on modern engines as Greg says. One problem would be the engine never gets to correct running temperature and the computer stays in start/cold mode which will cause long term problems. As said it should handle any conditions here properly so it has a problem Find it, Fix it.

It would be OK to remove the thermostat for a short term test to see if it fixes the problem. Test it while it is out too. It does sound like it could be the problem, as a first guess. However a faulty sensor will fool the computer into doing things too which can be a puzzle, also even a faulty connection. If you remove the wire from the temp sensor it should give an error message but continue to run OK in "limp home mode" with the fans on fast.
    Jaahn

Luckily (depending on your point of view), there is no option of removing the thermostat in these cars.

The housing, thermostat and sensor are all in one unit and not really able to be replaced seperately.

Earlier versions allowed you to replace the coolant sensor and hopefully, Bruce, that is all that's needed, but I certainly wouldn't risk driving it much.

P.S. For example - and it's probably identical - here is the "outlet tank" for my DS3, the DSport:

DS3 /C3 running temperature / overheating?-outlettank.jpg
    Last edited by SLC206; 8th February 2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Could be the pollen filter have a look when was that filter replaced no issues with the DS3 Cabrio. Tony

Was the thermostat - now have the modified housing with the removable sensor and a much lighter pocket.
    Bruce H

Ouch - they are not cheap.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Was the thermostat - now have the modified housing with the removable sensor and a much lighter pocket.
    Hi Bruce,
    Money !! Peace of mind
    Is this unit the fancy adjustable thermostat that is also fitted to the Mini engines. Electrically adjustable for the temperature setting ??
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    Money !! Peace of mind
    Is this unit the fancy adjustable thermostat that is also fitted to the Mini engines. Electrically adjustable for the temperature setting ??
    Jaahn
    Hi Jaahn, Assuming it is the same as on the dsport model, then yes it is the adjustable thermostat. That is to say it runs at around 104 degrees under normal driving, and around 80ish under continued high load, ie. a swift drive through the hills.

Assume so, as I was told it had electronic connection.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Thread Information