DS Stop Light Switch
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Errol_S

Thread: DS Stop Light Switch

Default DS Stop Light Switch

Greetings

I have read a number of posts relating to the stop light switch on a DS, however I cannot see how to remove it.

Background: My brake lights were intermittent and I have eventually discovered that the stop light switch is faulty. I tested it by connecting directly to a VOM which showed it would work erratically perhaps 1 in 10. No amount of adjustment helped, in fact it made it worse.

In the attached picture the switch is positioned behind the piston at point A, where you can see my test wires running to the VOM. However I cannot see how to remove the switch. There is an 8mm bolt that appears to run from one side of the "cage" to the other (at point B), which I thought might release the piston and give access to the switch, but I am scared of what might be behind that black cover.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get to replace this switch?

Regards
    Errol

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Stop Light Switch-stop_switch.jpg  

Try cleaning the dirt from the contact plate, it is a trap for dust and dirt in there. Compressed air while you depress the brake will open the contact and would likely get most of it out, you can make a small cleaning tool to get in there, should be easy to see now you have it exposed. I sprayed some WD-40 as a final clean. Problem solved. Easier than removing the unit.
    Last edited by mberry; 1st February 2015 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks for the response. No amount of WD40 helped, so I had to take the plunge and remove the switch. Local advice was that the whole brake cluster would need to be removed, but I was in for a pleasant surprise.

I decided to remove the black cover plate to see what it was hiding. First step was to remove the bolts identified as B. The left side is easy and can be removed completely. The right side is obstructed by the hydraulic pipes, so do not remove entirely as it will be a battle to replace. The cover plate simply clips out. With that out of the way 2 x 8mm bolts that hold the switch were clearly visible. Remove these and remove the switch towards the left. That allowed me to work on the switch on the bench and get it working again by bending the contact plates to their correct position. Replacement was the opposite. A simple operation.
    mberry likes this.

If your convinced that the contact has in some way broken, here is a NOS one and it's bloody cheap.

Citroen DS 19 1965 Contacteur DE FEU Stop Foca Neuf | eBay

Thread Information