C5 sx
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 sx

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 sx

I can't believe I am saying this, but what should I be looking out for with a one owner, good service history, 75k 2006 C5 SX 2.0l petrol auto wagon? Looks ok. Trans. Timing belt. ??

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

If your heart so desires, but ... possibly better to look out for the same car with a diesel engine and 6 speed auto. At the very least, try both types before buying one.

Potential problems common to all include rear suspension arm bearings, leaks from the suspension and steering piping. Otherwise, the normal used car checks apply, but walk away or negotiate hard on any car with a misbehaving gearbox. The 4 cylinder uses an AL4, so look for heavy thumps and very bad changes. The 6 speed cars tends to show problems as a 2>3 hot slip and the fix is usually a new valve block for $2K.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    I can't believe I am saying this, but what should I be looking out for with a one owner, good service history, 75k 2006 C5 SX 2.0l petrol auto wagon? Looks ok. Trans. Timing belt. ??
    I'd recommend a petrol powered V6. That's just me, I don't see the point in getting a diesel. One thing to look for , which seems to be a common issue in these C5s is a leaking High Pressure pipe which is connected to the power steering and/or the suspension. Over time this leaking LDS seems to deteriorate many different rubber parts. Before I bought mine, the previous owner had to have this very expensive pipe replaced, plus a return hose, plus a breather hose under the fuel injector, the harmonic balance, all of the rocker cover seals, and even a few ignition coils and connections. So have a look for leaking piping. Good luck...

Thread Information