C5 original HID low beam globes.
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 original HID low beam globes.

Hi Froggies,
    just wondering about the original series 1 C5 low beam HID globes. The owners manual warns against owners attempting to change these globes, citing possible electrocution!!!!!
    Must be changed by a Citroen Dealer.
    Every HID globe I've seen has it's wires factory connected and insulated. Is anyone familiar with these special globes. Mine are ok, but the driver side one is pure white, while the passenger side one is a much more yellow colour.
    I'm wondering if anyone can advise me as to their wattage, colour temp. etc.

cheers... George 1/8th.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Be very careful - being zapped by the igniter is not something you want. Check out sites like HID Replacement Bulbs Xenon D2S and http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/lib...e_Halfords.pdf

Thanks Seasink, sounds like a rubber gloves job for sure. thanks for the links...
    Actually after reading that I'll just leave it alone, as it all works. If one stops, than I'll see about having an auto-electrician change one. 28,000 volts... no thanks.
    cheers....
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 19th January 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Fellow Frogger

If that wreck you have been pillaging recently has the headlights still present, buy them as the ballast module is bolted to the bottom of the enclosure and HID globes are very expensive. Note there are early and late types of wiring inside the headlamp, one having an adapter socket. Wreckers often sell the globe separately to the enclosure becasue they cost several hundred as a new part from Citroen. The original colour was a slight blue tinged white. Other hues, like pink, suggest old age.

To be sure either pull the fuse that feeds the lights or disconnect the battery. Just like you would in a house. As for wattage and colour temp 35 watts and 4,000k is what you want. Please don't be tempted by the 55 watt units. An HDI globe is many orders of magnitude more efficient than an H4.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

I put 35 watt 6500K in my 406 as that supplier could supply 5000k
    They cost under $30 for a pair from eBay (conversion kit)
    I will definitely be puting after market on the C5 when it needs them
    They take a few hours to settle down CCT wise

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If that wreck you have been pillaging recently has the headlights still present, buy them as the ballast module is bolted to the bottom of the enclosure and HID globes are very expensive. Note there are early and late types of wiring inside the headlamp, one having an adapter socket. Wreckers often sell the globe separately to the enclosure becasue they cost several hundred as a new part from Citroen. The original colour was a slight blue tinged white. Other hues, like pink, suggest old age.
    Hi David, the cars at the wreckers seem to have been either previously pillaged for these special globes, or they have been modified by someone with wire cutters. Some are a real mess. Quite a shame really, headlight globes seem to be the first thing to be fiddled with at the wreckers...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    To be sure either pull the fuse that feeds the lights or disconnect the battery. Just like you would in a house. As for wattage and colour temp 35 watts and 4,000k is what you want. Please don't be tempted by the 55 watt units. An HDI globe is many orders of magnitude more efficient than an H4.
    Thanks Greg, so now when the time comes I know which one to get to match the other one.

Thread Information