Picasso. Any Good?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Picasso. Any Good?

I'd like to get some opinions from Picasso owners. Doesn't seem to much activity/talk about them on the Citroen site. Ive read a few reviews and some Youtube reviews and they don't seem to attract stunning and positive feedback.
    From my previous post I'm looking at a suitable car for long distance travel, often on unmade backroads and slowly venturing down tracks to find a quite place to call home for the night. I had almost totally discounted the Picasso in favour for a C5 Wagon especially with it's heightened hydractive suspension for ground clearance, after reading those bad reviews but thought whom better to ask than members of this forum. I'd like to be able to place a Waeco fridge on a slide inside, have a tailgate awning for standing and cooking and at a pitch to sleep in the van if raining or only need to stop briefly overnight. Does anyone out there take their Picasso out camping. Have you got any photo's to share showing your 'rig'
    I want diesel economy for long distance and I want comfort whilst driving. Mainly traveling on my own with the dog. Dislaike staying at caravan parks except when it's time to have a shower. The car needs to be able to handle most road conditions including corrugations, dust, speed humps etc,etc.
    Cheers Mick.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The NRMA thinks they are good. See Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Winner Best Family Wagon, Australia's Best Cars 2014

This is the current model, with HDI engine and 6 speed auto.

Mothers of young kids love their practicality and ease of getting about. I hope you find a camper's view.

Fellow Frogger

The original Picasso was best as a diesel 6 speed auto, but there are other variants. They are reliable and mostly had minor trim issues rather than significant mechanical problems. The rear seats were a little tight for a regular adult, something corrected in the latest incarnation of the model.

The biggest issue for dirt tracks with most recent passenger cars of any description is the low clearance and low profile tyres. The C5 has the advantage of adjustment where needed and the older, simpler models tend to have 15 inch rims rather than later 17, 18 or 19 inch. They are road cars, not off-road cars though. It's very easy to cut a sidewall as the low profile tyres are easily pinched by the rim. It even happens with proper 4WDs that are designed for off road, yet end up with low profile road tyres. A Range-Rover owner I know has destroyed 4 tyres in the last 12 months for that reason and it's not used for anything serious at all. I was in the car on the last occasion and it was a recently graded entrance to a property with a number of sharp rocks. (Woefully inadequate jacking gear for such a heavy and costly vehicle!) So, you'd also want to see if any car you look at has the 5th wheel the same of something else like a space saver or an alternate 9full-sized spare' that's actually not the same as the others.

Tadpole

I'd be thinking of immediately changing from low profile tyres. I have no intentions of going "off road", just off the bitumen.

Have you found this post?

C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???

Fellow Frogger!

I only sold my picasso just because i got urge to buy a latitude it was the best car i have ever owned and driven and at times i even regret having sold it but of course i can always buy anther one. they are reliable,safe and so flexible in configering inside with 7 seats to play with. you will not go wrong with this car C5 forget them unless you have deep pockets.

1000+ Posts

I like them both. But "deep pockets"? Mallamick was looking at X7s not early ones. They share 2.0 diesels and 1.6 THPs. C5 X7s all get the desirable 6 speed AM6 auto, but not so many Picassos have it. The two vehicles are built on different sized platforms, and one has adjustable height suspension in some models. Servicing costs are similar. The Picasso's biggest plus is the clever use of the available space.

Hi,
    I have a 2011 Picasso,
    which just clocked up 60000
    So far its been very good, had a few warranty things replaced, in last week though one rear brake pad shit-itelf and has started to carve up a rotor
    Overall I think they are pretty good,
    and certainly a great road travelling car,
    I think if you thrashed them over unsealed road they would fall apart, pretty fast

2010 Mazda RX8 GT
    2010 Citroen C4 GP

My only comment was that I was very surprised how firm the ride was when I had a ride in one a few years ago. I didn't like it much and bad roads would have shaken it considerably. It was a few years ago, so far from current model.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thank you for your comments and appraisal.

My 2012 had done abit of dirt road work with no issues, my wife was using it for her work as a home care worker with a couple of rural clients. The long front overhang hasn't caused any issues beyond scraping gutters around town, and me smacking the bottom of the bumper leaving my warehouse. Mine still runs 17" wheels however I was seriously looking into a set of 16" wheels, and suitable tyres, after the wife destroyed one hitting a large pot hole. Be aware that Picassos use a high load/high speed tyre which can be tricky to find, the OE Michelins are NLA and the nearest aftermarket replacement Michelin, which is also used an an Audi A4 Advant iirc, is special order. Yokohama do a suitable tyre.

Thread Information