Xantia Rack boots
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th

Thread: Xantia Rack boots

Default Xantia Rack boots

Hi Xantia owners,
    Just last month I replaced the dust cover boots on my Xantia. I also fitted a plastic cover over the Ram, as the original was torn up quite a bit.
    I had heard of mechanics replacing these dust covers yet leaving the rack in place. I couldn't imagine how this could be possible even from under the car if it was on a hoist.
    So anyway, I whipped it out. I took some photos for the benefit of other D.I.Y. car owners. Xantia Rack boots-09-hold-rack.jpgXantia Rack boots-12-rack-tie-rod.jpgXantia Rack boots-13-tie-rod-arm-seperated.jpg

These photos show how to hold the rack still with a big shifter, and then to grab and undo the tie rod using a chain wrench vice grip. With the pinion previously removed, and the RHS tie rod removed, the entire rack was slid out of the housing. Then the LHS boot could be easily changed. Two things to note,
    1. I chose to use generic replacement boots, only $15.00 each from Bursons.
    2. In order to make these generic boots stay on, I made 3 wire clip rings out of an old coat-hanger. You can see one in the bottom of one photo, set in place. The original boots had a moulded ring which just slips into the groove. The generic ones don't have this ring, so by fitting a wire ring around the groove, there is now something solid for the new boot to go over, and this prevents it slipping off when you tighten up the wire tie around the outside of the boot. Xantia Rack boots-10-lhs-generic-boot-fitted.jpg
    By doing this you don't have to stretch the boot over the ram bolt. Now you just put the ram back into the housing, then fit the drivers side boot to the tie rod onto it's outer side. Then refit the tie rod to the rack, and tighten using the chain. Then fit the large end of the rubber boot over the home made wire clip ring, and then fit the wire tie. The rack is now ready to go back into it's place, then put the ram and pinion back, and re-fit the tie rod ends and the steering coupling, the flexible pipes, and the ram drain tube.
    Cheers...

Advertisement
    lion5 likes this.

what did you do with the lock washer?

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    what did you do with the lock washer?
    Great question... I never saw any lock washer. Which lock washer... where... ?

the lock washer should sit between the inner tie rod and the rack end, it's keyed to the same shape as the inner tie rod star, So as you tighten it it locks should the tie rod want to turn the opposite direction, the inner ring of the lock washer also has a flat that rests on a tiny flat etched right into the end of the rack. Your one doesn't seem to have that, the only flat I can see is where you placed your large shifter which is too far out.. so maybe its different with the xantia rack but the 205 and 405 racks have one.

edit: here's what I mean

image from http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/mi16.htm
    Xantia Rack boots-steering_rack.jpg
    See the end of the rack? There are two flats on either end. That's what the lock washer locks against on the rack. The other end of the lock washer (keys) lock against the star shape on the inner tie rod. Your rack looks different. Will leave someone with more experience to answer this question anyway, but it looks like yours don't need one.
    Last edited by lion5; 16th January 2015 at 10:50 PM.

If these are done up tight they will not undo by themselves. The rack moves laterally , no rotary action, besides, the ball/ socket connections mean no rotational motion would be transferred if there was any.
    Maybe they have these lock washers in the Pugs, but not in the Xantia. It might have been added to later versions, or other models, but not seen on the series one Xantia, as far as I know.
    Cheers...

There were none on my Xantia, which so far as I know had the original rack ends when I changed them.

Fellow Frogger

Am doing this job on an XM2 at present. Neither side of the rack had a lock washer nor is there any flat or texture at the end of the rack to take one. I know this has been apart before, so I wondered if they had been lost, but there just doesn't seem to be any provision for a lock washer on the XM and nothing is shown in the parts listing either. A lock tab is shown for BX, which may explain why it is present on a 405 and some other models, but just seems to have been omitted for the XM. The factory manual doesn't mention a lock tab either, although Russek makes a reference to it, possibly incorrectly.

Removing the track rods is easy enough using a modest pipe wrench and pushing it under the car with a leg, but it does leave teeth marks in the ball joint housing.

My Xantia also did not have a washer between the rack and the balljoint. I do remember such as lock washer on the BXs though and the terrible grating noise it made as you started to undo the joint.

George, I have always had Euroserve replace the LHS rack boot in the past as I am not strong enough to get it past the power steering ram mount bolt. But when I had my rack out recently, I took the ball joint out and then found it quite easy to thread the new boot over the bolt and round the end of the rack and into place. I think that could be easily replicated with the rack in the car.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    If these are done up tight they will not undo by themselves. The rack moves laterally , no rotary action, besides, the ball/ socket connections mean no rotational motion would be transferred if there was any.
    Maybe they have these lock washers in the Pugs, but not in the Xantia. It might have been added to later versions, or other models, but not seen on the series one Xantia, as far as I know.
    Cheers...
    I had a rack end come loose on a Renault 20 many years ago
    The washer thing had lost its "teeth"
    Feels really strange at 100kph like the front end is about to fall off

Thread Information