Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SPY124
  • 2 Post By Clogzz

Thread: C5 Thermo fan - wanted or local vendor info

Tadpole

Default C5 Thermo fan - wanted or local vendor info

Hi guys and gals

Advertisement

I'm in need of a Thermo Fan for my 2007 C5 HDI. My mechanic informed me that Citroen has one in stock and although I braced myself when he gave me the price I had to take a couple deep breaths to keep upright, north of $1000. Bummer! I then used this forum's info in the supplier thread to help me locate any Australian vendors that might have in one in stock and I only turned up one which wasn't too far off the genuine price anyway. Double bummer!

Before I send my hard earned to an off shore vendor has anybody here had any experience sourcing a thermo fan for a C5 locally and if so from where?

Being an electrical motor component I'm not terribly keen on secondhand either.

Thanks in advance!

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by SPY124 View Post
    Hi guys and gals

I'm in need of a Thermo Fan for my 2007 C5 HDI. My mechanic informed me that Citroen has one in stock and although I braced myself when he gave me the price I had to take a couple deep breaths to keep upright, north of $1000. Bummer! I then used this forum's info in the supplier thread to help me locate any Australian vendors that might have in one in stock and I only turned up one which wasn't too far off the genuine price anyway. Double bummer!

Before I send my hard earned to an off shore vendor has anybody here had any experience sourcing a thermo fan for a C5 locally and if so from where?

Being an electrical motor component I'm not terribly keen on secondhand either.

Thanks in advance!
    That's insane, there is nothing that special about a PSA Thermo fan

On my own car a 2002 HDi on the second failure (yes, I paid something around $800.0 for the first) I replaced the fan with a generic 14" fan from Supercheap $89.00 - still going strong after 6 years with no issues.

In your case, I would be pulling the fan out and handing it over to an auto electrician - I would think a max of $150.00 would have the motor fully reconditioned.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Thanks for that Greenblood. In my search on this gem of a forum before I started this thread I did come across your aftermarket suggestion when the topic was raised some time ago C5 Thermo Fans

I would have no hesitation to replace the seemingly dubious OE fan with something a little more tried and tested and if that means an aftermarket jobbie then so be it.

I did remove the thermo fan to have it bench tested by my sister who is a radar technician and the outcome was that the electric motor (or the sealed controller attached to the side of the motor with the variable speed connector) was kaput. The one factor that makes these motors difficult to successfully reco is that they have a sealed motor casing from the factory and that the press fittings would need to be damaged to pull it apart. When we weighed it up the decision was made not to go down that path and to go for a new replacement.

Back to the aftermarket fan, I do have a concern or two which I would like to clear up if you greenblood or anyone on here is able to help with please. You mentioned that yours is a 2002 HDI and from my research this is a different beast to the 2007 thermo fan, the break is in 2004 from what info I've been able to dredge up. The 2007 has more than one connection, one connection is two pin power supply with a relay inline and the other is a three pin connector that seems to be the signal for the variable speed controller.

Does anyone know from experience if the aftermarket fan will work as required by the cooling system if I simply connected up the two pin connector and ignore the three pin variable speed signal from (presumably) the ecu?

I am very much open to chit chat on the matter so please feel free.

Icon3

Yes, I suspected the 2007 would be different which is why I suggested the reco option.
    I can't help with your question but would think you would need to include the full circuit which again requires someone with knowledge and experience.

You can't be alone with this though, the PSA fans don't appear to be a life of the car part!! Hopefully someone will chime in with an informed reply. Even though these fans are doomed to fail if you can pick up a low millage used part it would have the car mobile in the interim.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go, the info becomes useful to those that follow

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

I will most definitely follow with the outcome, a pet hate of mine is when I discover a great thread with a fantastic question but no happy ending..

My thinking is this. The thermo fan is not working but I am still able to drive the car and it runs quite normally as long as I am not towing or held up in traffic. I gather from this that the ecu function is not bothered in any way with a dead thermo fan connected to it.

I will most probably get the car back over to my sister and see if she can get an open signal from the two pins I plan to use when the engine reaches thermo fan temp.

Great to bounce an idea or two up on here.

When I first encountered the problem I drilled down into a google search and discovered that the C5 had a recall on these in 2007.
    Citroën?C5 11 and C6 Vehicles?Engine Cooling Fan
    So no I don't feel alone on this.

I will most definitely follow with the outcome, a pet hate of mine is when I discover a great thread with a fantastic question but no happy ending..

My thinking is this. The thermo fan is not working but I am still able to drive the car and it runs quite normally as long as I am not towing or held up in traffic. I gather from this that the ecu function is not bothered in any way with a dead thermo fan connected to it.

I will most probably get the car back over to my sister and see if she can get an open signal from the two pins I plan to use when the engine reaches thermo fan temp.

Great to bounce an idea or two up on here.

When I first encountered the problem I drilled down into a google search and discovered that the C5 had a recall on these in 2007.
    Citroën?C5 11 and C6 Vehicles?Engine Cooling Fan
    So no I don't feel alone on this.
    Ha, I just found that same recall info - do you know if your car has had the recall fix? It would still qualify if it hasn't - if it has it would still be interesting to know when and how long the replacement lasted.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Good question. I have had the car from new Nov 2007, it was one of the last old version C5's sold by Rick Dam in Sydney before the X7 was due to hit the show room.
    I have not seen any recall stickers on the car (something I know that other manufacturers do) nor do i recall anything in the books but I will check them again.
    How do you think I go about finding out if it had the recall fix?

Gee, not that I'm looking forward to having a POS fan replaced with another POS fan but you never know I could get lucky and they have run out of lemons and give me an orange instead.

Icon3

Good question. I have had the car from new Nov 2007, it was one of the last old version C5's sold by Rick Dam in Sydney before the X7 was due to hit the show room.
    I have not seen any recall stickers on the car (something I know that other manufacturers do) nor do i recall anything in the books but I will check them again.
    How do you think I go about finding out if it had the recall fix?

Gee, not that I'm looking forward to having a POS fan replaced with another POS fan but you never know I could get lucky and they have run out of lemons and give me an orange instead.
    The recall detail should be registered against the VIN, a phone call to your Citroen agent should give you that information. Presuming the fan hasn't been replaced you could look forward to at least 8 years out of the 'Orange', worth a shot

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

No oranges for me today. I contacted Citroen's Customer support line this morning and was met with the news that my chassis number did not fall into the range of cars that was part of the recall. The representative pointed out that the information on the ACCC's recall page was quite general and does not contain the details to which specific vehicles were effected by the recall. I take his word in good faith and I will move on.

I have been sent a PM by a fellow frogger offering me a second hand unit so I am really quite stoked at the support this place has provided me thus far. Given these OE unit's track record I am not terribly keen on a second hand unit but at least it is an option for me to consider as I investigate further options.

Next chance I get I will have the circuit tested to see if I can use a Davies Graig unit. I have used this brand in the past in other resto and race projects so I am pretty happy with their build quality..Thermatic Fans

If the administrators here have an issue with my posting these links up please feel free to delete, I'm posting them just to keep the info flowing on where my mind is heading..

Icon12

No oranges for me today. I contacted Citroen's Customer support line this morning and was met with the news that my chassis number did not fall into the range of cars that was part of the recall. The representative pointed out that the information on the ACCC's recall page was quite general and does not contain the details to which specific vehicles were effected by the recall. I take his word in good faith and I will move on.

I have been sent a PM by a fellow frogger offering me a second hand unit so I am really quite stoked at the support this place has provided me thus far. Given these OE unit's track record I am not terribly keen on a second hand unit but at least it is an option for me to consider as I investigate further options.

Next chance I get I will have the circuit tested to see if I can use a Davies Graig unit. I have used this brand in the past in other resto and race projects so I am pretty happy with their build quality..Thermatic Fans

If the administrators here have an issue with my posting these links up please feel free to delete, I'm posting them just to keep the info flowing on where my mind is heading..
    Bummer, it was worth a shot. . .

No problems with your links, if you find a workable solution others will benefit

Thanks for updating your progress. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Late yesterday afternoon an opportunity arose where I was heading off to see a good friend of mine who I do a bit of motor racing with.

He is about a dozen times more electrically mined than I so I asked since I was coming over if he could test the thermo fan plugs for me to see if the system was suitable enough to fit an aftermarket generic thermo fan. He suggested that I swing by a supercheap to pick up a thermo fan with the idea of fitting it while the front bar was off if the testing proved for it to be suitable. Since reading on here that Greenblood had had some success with his C5 thermo fan mod using a super cheap brand thermo fan I didn't think bad of the idea.

Although we race Italian cars he also owns a Matra Bagheera so he wasn't too offended with my French content in his workshop .

After removing the front bar cover and thermo fan unit he was soon underway with testing.

Here is a pic of my lemon.

Attachment 64974

With the ignition on and also with engine running he tested the the black plug with the main power and earth from the vehicles thermo fan harness. What we found was that power is constantly running through the relay (brown one in picture) and that a signal is sent from the ECU when to switch the relay OFF.

This was a problem as it would mean if we connected these wires to the super cheap fan set up then it would be constantly running. He tried working out the signal from the ECU plug to see if we could hook into it and judging by the outcome a decoder would be needed to make heads or tails of it. The decoder in the OE's case is the control unit you see attached to the fan in the pic.

We were running out of options and looked to see if we could pick up a signal directly from the thermo fan switch or temperature switch, that idea was blown out of the water as these signals all go to the ECU which in turn gives the command to the fan. In other words these are not conventional senders and are specific to the ECU...Ahhh bummer!

The other idea was to rig up a separate (old school) system altogether as we had all the parts on hand to make this happen but my concern was that the fan would not operate when the AC was switch on as this is a standard feature in the OE cooling system. I was also reluctant to start modifying the car that much so I made the decission to extinguish the session with a couple of cold ales while we buttoned her back up.

When we finished up I rang the over seas supplier in the UK to confirm that the thermo fan I needed was the part they had on offer. Everything checking out ok so I will be sending the order off tonight. It's an O.E item which is not a good thing but with fingers crossed I'll hopefully get a few good years out of it OR even better still that the manufacturer has solved the issues they were having and upgraded the units.

Hopefully I'll be back in about a week or two with good news to report.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Thermo fan  - wanted or local vendor info-img_3234-25%25.jpg  

Icon5

SPY124,
    I'm thinking we should move this thread to the Citroen forum? It has developed from a request for a supplier to a possible work around for the ludicrous $$ PSA want for a sub standard product.

From what you have described the fan motor itself is possibly in good order but the controller has gone AWOL?

If you are happy to see the thread moved I'll do the honours, you should get more feedback that way. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    SPY124,
    I'm thinking we should move this thread to the Citroen forum? It has developed from a request for a supplier to a possible work around for the ludicrous $$ PSA want for a sub standard product.

From what you have described the fan motor itself is possibly in good order but the controller has gone AWOL?

If you are happy to see the thread moved I'll do the honours, you should get more feedback that way. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Yes it has evolved somewhat, do as you see fit thanks.

It is a possibility that the fan motor itself is still good and that the controller is cactus. My buddy did some further testing directly to the fan when we removed it from the shroud and he concluded the same as you. Don't ask me what he did but he is a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to these things with all sorts of electronic testing equipment in his workshop.

He tried to remove the controller from the fan motor and it can't be done without excessive damage. If he wasn't so busy with other projects he probably would open it up to investigate the fault but with nothing to profit from it we weren't going to spend more time on it..

Here is a pic of it pretty much stripped out as far as it can go with out damaging it. Not that at this point we were caring much about damaging it but if one was attempting to open and reseal this would be the end of the road for screwdrivers and spanners and out with the grinder..

Attachment 64975
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Thermo fan  - wanted or local vendor info-img_3237-25%25.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

This one will be non-genuine which is preferable if there that unreliable:

1253 Q8 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi (+AC) 00- RADIATOR FAN | eBay

there's tons of the things on here... the genuine are expensive though.

citroen c5 radiator fan | eBay

obviously a common problem if so many sellers have them.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Thanks Doublecevron. Not that they are all unreliable but they are definitely inconsistent. I am quite positive that there are many C5 same model as mine still belting around on the original fan. No doubt.

I was researching suppliers since I discovered the fault and the O.E price a few weeks ago, hence my original post. They are all over seas suppliers but I was quite happy to support someone locally if they were close to the price I was finding o/s. I was willing to pay more just to source it locally but not double or triple.

The fan from koratrade is not the correct one, it looks like it but it only has the single plug, probably for an earlier C5. That fan fits chassis number prefix DCRHZB and DCRHZE. My model has prefix RCRHRJ and the O.E part number I need is 1253N8 or 1253T3, one of these numbers succeeds the other, I didn't note which one at the time when I was researching O.E numbers but koratrade 1253Q8 is not the correct one.

I've used Citroen Midi Auto Lorient in the past, with success.

They list the 1253N8 at €473.24 and the 1253T3 at €398.22.

Neither price includes shipping.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

I ended up getting a new O.E unit from the UK for AU$540 landed, that includes my transaction fees.

I installed it about 3 weeks ago (1000km) and since then we've pretty much had the aircon on all the time which has been needed as we've had a few sticky days lately. Everything seems to be back to normal.

C5 Thermo fan  - wanted or local vendor info-img_3286-25%25.jpgC5 Thermo fan  - wanted or local vendor info-img_3287-25%25.jpgC5 Thermo fan  - wanted or local vendor info-img_3288-25%25.jpg

Upon opening I noticed that the plugs into the control unit and the control unit itself are a different design to what I had previously but all else matched up size and shape wise. The plugs actually look like an improvement from the old set up. I also noticed that the new unit was tagged on a Valentines Day so I'll be hoping for a lot of love from this one.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by SPY124; 22nd February 2015 at 06:32 PM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

My turn now, the fan stopped two weeks ago.
    Took it out, tapped it with a hammer all around and it’s been good until yesterday.
    Rang Supercheap who said they had one.
    Got there less than an hour later, and no, they didn’t have any.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Bought a 14" fan from Repco, 110$ on special this week instead of $159 or so.
    Slightly smaller than the original; needed mounting with cable ties and goes very well.
    GreenBlood and GrantM like this.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Thread Information