C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???

Tadpole

Default C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???

First post here. It's time for me to start thinking of finding a replacement for my Pug 405 SRDT estate and I'm undecided.
    Any input would be appreciated to help me come to a decision.
    Needs are for a wagon, diesel,long enough to be able to sleep in when traveling on long-distance trips. Rear seats need to fold flat and long enough for 183cm. Also I have a preference for driving along back roads and Bush tracks off the freeways to enable quiet and private camping. I can't afford a 4wd and I need this for a daily drive as well. I suppose it comes down to what's the most durable,practical and economical.

Advertisement

406 hdi wagon would be my pic of the bunch! But only a manual one. Although they are hard to find but a fantastic car if you find one.
    406 D8 V6 manual

1000+ Posts

Welcome to the asylum.

Price - are we talking new, or used? And how old? 406s are getting long in the tooth. C5s depreciate, which makes them a bargain, but wagons a lot less so.

The C5 wagon is huge. The rear seat bases tip into the footwell to enable the backs to go flat, which reduces the space a little. The 2.0 HDI diesel is the pick of the engines in my view. Here are the dimensions-
    C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???-c5-wagon.jpg

No modern road car is designed for fire trails, though I have a mate who lives at the end of one with a Cit who gets away with it. Ordinary dirt roads aren't a problem, and hydraulic C5s can lift themselves up at low speed. In new cars only the expensive Exclusive has hydraulics; in older cars Comfort does as well.

[ps] I should have added - the last series C5, the X7 from 2008 is the one to look at.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th January 2015 at 11:21 AM.

IWS

How about a Laguna diesel wagon? I have one and I love it!
    Back seats fold flat and lot's of room to sleep (I am 6").
    Ground clearance is a bit low - so the bush tracks are maybe a problem?

Ian.

Tadpole

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.I'm talking about second hand and my current Pug 405 has close close to 333ks on the clock and starting to develop some niggling issues. Seasink, re internal dimensions C5 estate is only 1723mm which surprised me, that would still leave my feet dangling out.. Would the adjustable hydraulic suspension give me greater clearance at low speed when needed?
    Also does the C5 come in manual transmission. Reading this forum and others I've developed a bit of paranoia regarding the AL4 auto gearbox. Is the AL4 used in the X7 you mentioned?

1000+ Posts

Here are the dimensions of the 2014 Grand Picasso
    C5 or Picasso or Pug 406???-picasso.jpg

The C5 X7 is only available with the reliable AM6 (Japanese Aisin) auto transmission. It has a hatchback style back, not a ute-style gate. Steel-sprung versions ride a little higher at speed than hydraulic models, but the hydraulics can raise the car up, at low speeds.

Whatever you get shouldn't be a high mileage car.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th January 2015 at 12:42 PM.

Tadpole

I meant to add in my last post, what are the various ground clearance capabilities of the C5.

Tadpole

Cheers.That was quick. Thats a fair bit longer. I need to find out what kind of gearbox that has.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If the C5 is anywhere near as low as a 407 ... cross it off your list. the 407 can't even drive into a supermarket carpark without slamming it's nose and tail into the ground. Next time you see a 407 in a carpark. Have a look at it's sills. I bet you find some huge dents int them from it slamming itself into the ground. Mines got a huge dent under the left hand back door, I have no idea how it got there either

I have no issues taking a decent car like a CX offroad though ... YOu gotta keep on the lookout for sudden drop aways though ... 'cos it's heavy nose comes down like a sledge hammer, it's tail end is also easily "excited" on loose gravel.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

I mentioned the 406 in my post, not the 407. I was so disappointed when Peugeot released the 407 as I could see immediately the inherit problems of excessive overhang especially up front. 407 NEVER ! BTW I don't want the car to go 'off road', just the ability to travel back roads both tarred, gravel, corrugated, and along sandy formed tracks near beaches and forest longing tracks.

1000+ Posts

If you are quick you can still download some sales brochures from:
    http://mccarrollscitroen.com.au/down...large-file.pdf
    http://mccarrollscitroen.com.au/down...o-brochure.pdf

I drive on roads like that in a current C5. Nothing has broken. It isn't built underneath for really deep ruts or bloody great trenches - the car has plastic undertrays under most of its length to give silence on the highway. These things are quiet comfortable long distance cruisers, not ear-destroying Landies.

(The links are to models from a year+ ago)
    Last edited by seasink; 15th January 2015 at 01:19 PM.

You can have my cared for 80s Series Toyota Landruiser (cheap to run as on Gas) with good AND offroad height caravan with everything that opens and shuts for the princely sum of $7,000 if you act quick. We just do not use them anymore.

Tim

Tadpole

Brilliant.. Thanks for those brochures and downloaded, although neither of them give technical specs. Any idea where I might be alb to sight them?

Tadpole

Any Pics? More info please re condition mileage etc etc.

1000+ Posts

You have to be quick for brochures. Dealers sometimes leave old ones up for a while, but they eventually go. The Comfort spec I posted a while ago is now a dead link. Comfort was the last hydraulic model of less than Exclusive spec.

The current C5 specs of a very limited range from the new distributors are at http://www.alanmancecitroen.com.au/b...troen%20C5.pdf.

There's a need for a library of these in Aussiefrogs. Alas we can't post them. The current distributor, who seems to prefer selling Pugs, has none online.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    You can have my cared for 80s Series Toyota Landruiser (cheap to run as on Gas) with good AND offroad height caravan with everything that opens and shuts for the princely sum of $7,000 if you act quick. We just do not use them anymore.

Tim
    How old is the 80 series ..... 1990 models can now go onto a club permit .... that allows for pretty cheap motoring for your old toys. Those things seem to go forever. Just look how many get advertised with 1/2million kms on them ... still going strong!

After all ... if we don't have a 3ton truck handy.... How can we tow home broken Citroens

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

errr.. not Victoria. 30 years old and an inspection. I'm not sure they are allowed to tow either.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    errr.. not Victoria. 30 years old and an inspection. I'm not sure they are allowed to tow either.
    I thought Tim was in Victoria ... You can tow and use your car however you desire. What's the point in having interesting old toys if you can't use them

This however isn't really helping Mallamick choose. Given his criteria I can't think of a modern Euro car that'll cover everything he wants. Not many manufactures make proper wagons any more... they all have stupid "slopey/sleek" looking wagon bits .... making them useless as a wagon. Most don't even make wagons, they make pretend wank tanks ... [S]tupid [U]rban [V]ehicles. There's a wide selection of these for sale as all the middle aged women that can't afford prados buy them. The problem is there not long enough too sleep in.

How about a nice C5 with a roof top tent fitted

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Seriously I do have a very nice 80 series with a very nice caravan that has been lifted a bit and heavy duty axel and shockabsorbers fitted. The caravan is a franklin but modified with lovely bigger windows, storage compartments etc. The 4WD is a 90 model and never off-road in it's life. Clean underneath. No Leaks. New hoses and genuine radiator $1000 worth. 280 clicks. It is perfect for visiting national parks etc, can drive through anything and leave you unscathed. Friendly big bear. 8 seat wagon. I have to move some vehicles, and Kathy and I am not going to do the vanning anymore....Tim. 7K for both. From what I can tell, that's a truck with free van. Shane this is completely inappropriate here...can you move it to Aussie flog for me?

Tim

Haven't advertised yet but need it gone.
    I'll try and copy it there.... I reckon the moderator in this section is pretty lenient myself BTW: If that's a 1990 model ... it can go on a club permit this year ... so you have yourself something that can tow car trailers on the road for $70 a year (45days).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Back to the OP. For the mattress length you will probably want a Grand Picasso, and the pick of these is the 2.0 HDI with the 6 speed Aisin auto. There aren't many for sale, and the price is still high. There are more C5s about usually, and they are better suspended and roomier in other respects.

I have a 2006 C5 2.0 Hdi wagon for sale.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Tadpole

I saw that you had a C5 Hdi hatch for sale which you sold recently,congrats, but haven't seen a wagon for sale.

1000+ Posts

The photos showed a 2nd series sedan, in what looked like Dieselman's location, a rather long stroll out of Sydney. Is there still another car in the collection?

Yes, sorry it's a 2008 X7 wagon.
    I'll put an ad up this weekend.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Tadpole

Can anyone confirm whether the rear seats in a C5 wagon fold completely flat.
    2. Can someone tell me what the ground clearance is on C5 in the raised position.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information