New D Adventure
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New D Adventure

Default New D Adventure

Dear all,

After a few years without a D, I have again taken the plunge. I have purchased a 68 DS 21 Pallas BVH from the Boys in Gayndah, QLD....they had been selling on behalf of the owner who has had it for 44 years. Is ex-Germany in the early days. Thanks to MBerry for his passionate enthusiasm and reassurance about what is a fairly rare beast in right hand drive. Give me strength, I've driven a BVH for about 3 minutes once - gave the wheel back, thinking I might stack it.

Advertisement

I am very excited as Kathy and I am flying up to Hervey Bay, visiting Gayndah boys and collecting D, then making our way back down South in the best way possible over 7 days. Car is pretty good, so all should be fine. I can't believe it - we leave on Friday. Brissy friends, I will be dropping in so get ready for my call.

I have enjoyed many sojourns to Queensland and back in Harriet (the '62 ID that I owned for 30 years as a daily) over the years, mainly when the kids were young. This trip will just be Kathy and I, and I am wondering how the car will feel. We are going to do a bit of camping, so I'll feel young again!

To those who say, 'there goes progress on the 11BL'.... fear not....she can be my weekender! Coming along slowly.

The interior of this DS Pallas is very special. Identical to the 64 DS 19M Pallas once owned by Gerry P. Slopy Dash, brown leather throughout all in good nic. It's even had aircon fitted - kathy will be grateful for this but I'm not such a fan. But apparently it's cold! Hilarious.

One day she will be restored, but I am going to be driving her as is....rolling restoration as they say. I will post some pics along the way....will have to work out the Aussiefrogs App. See pic below.

Patience old girl, the gentle Southern climes are calling.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New D Adventure-448.jpg   New D Adventure-449.jpg   New D Adventure-p1040008.jpg   New D Adventure-p1040009.jpg   New D Adventure-p1040003.jpg  
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 13th January 2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Boyracer, danielsydney and dogboy like this.

Icon6

Well done Tim

I think we were all scrambling to raise the necessary $$ to buy that car, after Michael posted the ad.

I doubt you will be disappointed and you'll master the BVH within the first 100k

If you are driving through Bris on your way south I'd love to catch up.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Great idea Chris, hoping to organise a meal probably Mondayish.

Tim

Oh, is this the car Phillippe (H-C) wanted to buy?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Great idea Chris, hoping to organise a meal probably Mondayish.

Tim
    Keep me posted, I'll PM you my mobile number

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Oh, is this the car Phillippe (H-C) wanted to buy?
    No Adam, I think Philippe had his eye on a C6 . . .

The DS was posted in the Cars For Sale forum a week or so back, and sold within 2 hours

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Do the dance.
    JohnW likes this.

cool Yep d is special! If you see it you want to buy it.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Well Done .... I sent that advert too my father while dancing around saying " buy it ... buy it. ... buy it... It won't last long". It sold before he even opened the advert though

If it's as good as it sounds, I reckon you have found yourself an amazing, impossible to replace car. Your going too love the BVH and power steering after years of driving an ID19

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The bvh is a wonderful system. It has been well documented by people who knew it well and wrote about it well. As you undertake your educational efforts, resist the urge to listen to every internet expert and stick to citromatic magic by red dellinger. As you gain a grasp from what red wrote, you will realize that he was spot on. Nothing more needs to be explained.
    mberry likes this.

Thanks Daffy and Shane!

Shane I fear I may have disappointed a few people when I snapped this up. I guess it's right time and place. After seeing what it was, then speaking with the Gayndah crew, there wasn't much else to consider so I pressed the button.

All else being equal, how will it feel when cruising? Fourth gear on the ID is, of course, magic. I drove a lovely D Special (almost purchased) which is a gem but slightly harsh in 4th at speed. What will the BVH be like - and also given it's a 21?

I don't think I've ever more looked forward to a drive, and I get to do 1850KMs!

I have a good old friend in Ballarat and will time a visit to show you, Shane. Maybe get the ID fix as well.

Regards and thanks for the enthusiasm,

Tim

Thanks Daffy and Shane!

Shane I fear I may have disappointed a few people when I snapped this up. I guess it's right time and place. After seeing what it was, then speaking with the Gayndah crew, there wasn't much else to consider so I pressed the button.

All else being equal, how will it feel when cruising? Fourth gear on the ID is, of course, magic. I drove a lovely D Special (almost purchased) which is a gem but slightly harsh in 4th at speed. What will the BVH be like - and also given it's a 21?

I don't think I've ever more looked forward to a drive, and I get to do 1850KMs!

I have a good old friend in Ballarat and will time a visit to show you, Shane. Maybe get the ID fix as well.

Tim
    I sure would like to see that car in the flesh .... Maybe you can convince my father too get his traction on the road too Have you driven your traction much yet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I'm, of course very happy to see another 68 BVH on the road in Melbourne. I think Tim's new edition will boost the total to 3 here in Victoria. A few have tried to do the numbers, but I have never seen anything definitive to say how many were sold here, I can think of 5 in the country. I guess ( hope ) there could be twice that many lurking. Would love to hear if anyone knows the numbers.

I just realised we have the same tacho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New D Adventure-img_7099.jpg  
    Last edited by mberry; 14th January 2015 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I sure would like to see that car in the flesh .... Maybe you can convince my father too get his traction on the road too Have you driven your traction much yet

seeya,
    Shane L.

That would be really great. No I haven't driven the Traction. It has been started and it sounds magnificent. It really isn't far from completion, I'm just trying to make good decisions about it and I also haven't had much time this year. It will happen though. I'd hoped to make the last big traction run but work just became impossible.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New D Adventure-p1040007.jpg   New D Adventure-p7132222.jpg  

Hi Michael,

Three sleeps. Right - that's a tacho! I thought maybe a temp gauge. Never been tempted to put a tacho on a D of all things. After market presumably? So does having the tacho assist with the semi-auto changing, is that the idea? Who has the third '68 in Victoria? Would love to get them together, alas mine will be the down at heel one. Never mind.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 14th January 2015 at 01:13 PM.

That would be really great. No I haven't driven the Traction. It has been started and it sounds magnificent. It really isn't far from completion, I'm just trying to make good decisions about it and I also haven't had much time this year. It will happen though. I'd hoped to make the last big traction run but work just became impossible.

Tim
    My fathers traction has a really mellow exhaust sound too .... I figured it must have been an non-standard exhaust. Maybe it's standard. It sure doesn't feel powerful though I know it destroys the originality, but I can't help but think they'd be a far better car with an ID19 motor and gearbox ..... and modern driveshafts. You could then travel at the speed limit and get a bit more steering lock for parking in modern tiny parking spaces! If you need some encouragement ... You should see Gerry P's traction.

Are you heading south via Tamworth with the DS21 There's a D expert in that area if you run into trouble

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I'm, of course very happy to see another 68 BVH on the road in Melbourne. I think Tim's new edition will boost the total to 3 here in Victoria. A few have tried to do the numbers, but I have never seen anything definitive to say how many were sold here, I can think of 5 in the country. I guess ( hope ) there could be twice that many lurking. Would love to hear if anyone knows the numbers.

I just realised we have the same tacho.
    I assumed that was a temperature gauge in the pictures. I wonder if they were a dealer fitted option given two cars of the same vintage have the identical aftermarket gauge mounted in the same position, in the same way.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Thanks Daffy and Shane!

Tim
    Having had a ds21 ie hyd 71 for many years as well as an id19 you need have no fears about its cruising ability; 4th gear is nearly as high as 5th in the 5speed so it just lopes along,only subject to plod and his radar. It's ability to change down to overtake without lifting the foot is blissful. The 21 motor,in my opinion is superior to the 23 as it did not have the o'heating problems,same block but more room for coolant. The 23 had the extra electric fan but by the time they switch on it's too late. I did fit a 23 fan to my 21 with a switch inside only for when I was stuck in heavy traffic. I am unsure about power comparision for the carby version however the injected 21 was only a couple of horsepower down on the 23 in injected form. You will certainly enjoy your new car,Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    My fathers traction has a really mellow exhaust sound too .... I figured it must have been an non-standard exhaust. Maybe it's standard. It sure doesn't feel powerful though I know it destroys the originality, but I can't help but think they'd be a far better car with an ID19 motor and gearbox ..... and modern driveshafts. You could then travel at the speed limit and get a bit more steering lock for parking in modern tiny parking spaces! If you need some encouragement ... You should see Gerry P's traction.

Are you heading south via Tamworth with the DS21 There's a D expert in that area if you run into trouble

seeya,
    Shane L.

Thanks Shane,

You mean Mr Buttercup? The man with the best bike rack for a D known to mankind? I'd love a drawing of that so I could make one. Please take note if you see this, Bob. I would be pleased to drop by with my new acquisition.

And yes, Gerry's shed is synonymous with inspiration and encouragement! He wants to see his old '64 DS 19M done which I can't blame him for!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    cool Yep d is special! If you see it you want to buy it.

How's the ID going. Lovely car. Did I see you parked in camberwell one Sunday morning (market time?)

Tim

Thanks Andy, very interesting to hear. I will certainly post a blow by blow description of the trip South, hopefully not boring anyone!

Regards,

Tim

Icon7

I THINK I bought his D Special just before Christmas for my wife, and drove that all the way back to Tassie. At least it came from Gayndah, and there can't be too many DS' in that little town.

Chris and Gill
    Last edited by Lasya; 14th January 2015 at 03:47 PM.

Yes, Lasya, surely. How was the trip, and can you recommend any great places to stay/visit? What was your full name so I can mention? Of course Gayndah has the most spectacular collection of amazing Citroens. I real bonus for me as I'm getting to see them this weekend.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 14th January 2015 at 03:40 PM.

Yes, Lasya, surely. How was the trip, and can you recommend any great places to stay/visit? What was your full name so I can mention? Of course Gayndah has the most spectacular collection of amazing Citroens. I real bonus for me as I'm getting to see them this weekend.

Tim
    Your not worried about wanting a GS engined 2cv by the time you get home
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

My son and I just stayed at a caravan park in Coffs then at Shelley Beach. It was a fast trip down to be on the boat by the 23rd. It was a Christmas/50th birthday 25th Anniversary surprise for my wife. Who got a BIG teary shcok on Christmas Day! Up early arrive late. that sort of thing. Would have loved to have made it a road trip with Gill over a week, but work an' all..

Have sandblasted and powder coated the wheels/members in the engine bay, air box and have parts of trim off including left side ventilation with a $900.00 order from Franzose on the way with all new trim and pretties. BUT.....

Have broken my arm and can't put it back together...

Chris.

Lasya - Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    My son and I just stayed at a caravan park in Coffs then at Shelley Beach. It was a fast trip down to be on the boat by the 23rd. It was a Christmas/50th birthday 25th Anniversary surprise for my wife. Who got a BIG teary shcok on Christmas Day! Up early arrive late. that sort of thing. Would have loved to have made it a road trip with Gill over a week, but work an' all..

Have sandblasted and powder coated the wheels/members in the engine bay, air box and have parts of trim off including left side ventilation with a $900.00 order from Franzose on the way with all new trim and pretties. BUT.....

Have broken my arm and can't put it back together...

Chris.

Lasya - Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror!

Whoops! Ah well, something to look forward to when you're fit and able! Post pic of your trip & car if you can. Nothing better than a trip like that.

I think I will have to paint my wheels also. I'm going to order a set of Mitchies from Longstone. Not too bad a price considering the quality and free delivery to Melbourne!

I wish my wife could be brought to tears by presenting her with a D. Rather, she loves her Benz and allows me to indulge. Which is nice.

Tim

Tim

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information