Timing Belt Kit for 1999 Citroen Berlingo 1.4L Petrol
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kiamaian

Thread: Timing Belt Kit for 1999 Citroen Berlingo 1.4L Petrol

Default Timing Belt Kit for 1999 Citroen Berlingo 1.4L Petrol

I have been looking online for a timing belt kit for my 1999 Citroen Berlingo fitted with the 1.4 liter petrol motor.

The Vin number of the vehicle is VF7MCKFXF65354825 (Which means nothing to me)

A Melbourne spare parts supplier has advised I need to know if my motor has 104 teeth or 108 teeth.

Can any member advise how I would establish the number of teeth my vehicle has?

Another thing I am interested to know is whether the motor is likely to need a water pump replacement at the same time the belt is changed. (However, it is in the back of my mind that the car has an electric pump?) I understand the belt tensioner should be replaced. Any advice on other parts I should replace will be appreciated.

Finally is replacing the timing belt a fairly routine job for a person who has changed timing belts on other cars including a Renault 20TS.

Advertisement
    Last edited by kiamaian; 5th January 2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling correction

1000+ Posts

Off hand I don't know how many teeth either, but that's what the VIN number should tell to the parts supplier. Was it one of the usuals, like EAI or Caravelle? The water pump is driven from the belt and in a vehicle of that age, unless changed recently, is probably on borrowed time. I'd change it anyway, as the job is too big to do every weekend.

I think you'll find some useful info at CARNETS DE POCHE if you don't have a Haynes etc.

It's allegedly 108 teeth. Mostly if you take off the top cover (two 10mm head bolts) and slowly wind the engine over with a ratchet on the crank pulley, you can read the old belt's writing. The water pump is 20 teeth, 1201.E3 being your OEM number for it. Tension roller is 0829.54 part number.

Motors changed to a shorter belt and less teeth on the water pump around 2001, your van is a 2000 model.

Thanks for the responses.

It only took a couple of minutes to remove the top timing belt cover. I turned the motor over and found the label on the belt marked QTB207 which I understand is a 108 tooth belt. I have ordered the parts and will be a weekend job.

I have started the job of replacing the timing belt. I have removed the alternator belt, drive belt and timing belt covers.

According to my Haynes workshop manual I should turn the motor over until the hole in the camshaft sprocket aligns with the hole in the cylinder head and insert a ten mm bolt. Then I should insert a six mm bolt through the cylinder block flange into the flywheel which would lock the crankshaft and camshaft into the correct position to allow the timing belt to be replaced.

I have been able to insert the ten mm bolt but have not been able to place the six mm bolt into the flywheel as the location hole is apparently not in the right position.

Perhaps I need to keep turning the crankshaft until the pin drops in and when it does the camshaft sprocket holes should also be in alignment.

The Dayco kit I bought came with two seals. I presume these are for the camshaft and crankshaft and should be used.

I am hoping addo sees this post.

Here's how CitroJim did his daughter's car's cambelt.

Peugeot 206 1.4 Cambelt: Page 2

Thanks addo,

CitroJim's post was very helpful. I have got the flywheel pin in place now after starting with a four mm pin and once the hole was located I was able to insert a six mm pin. I am not going to replace the seals as there is no sign of leakage from them and it will save me time and anguish to leave them alone. Here I am driving a 1999 Citroen Berlingo in 2015 long past the intended life of the vehicle. In Europe it would have probably been crushed ten years ago!
    jaahn likes this.

Thread Information