part numbers for xsara steering rack boots?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default part numbers for xsara steering rack boots?

Has anybody got these on hand before i order. I am guessing the boots are the same across all Xsara's ??

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    Has anybody got these on hand before i order. I am guessing the boots are the same across all Xsara's ??
    Hi JR, When doing my Xantia recently, I had pulled the rack out completely, and the rack is peugeot....even though the car is citroen... the motor is peugeot too...plus brake parts... I decided it was easier and simpler to source generic "universal" dust covers from Bursons or Repco. They worked perfectly. However, I had to modify the rack by making a simple wire circlip (x3)because the universals need something to hold on to. The originals have a rubber inner ring which slots into a groove in the rack housing. I just used coat-hanger wire , cut to length, shaped into a ring, and placed over the groove, to give a spot where the rubber has to stretch over, then you use the supplied wire ties to tighten the rubber in place. The home made circlip stops the rubber from ever slipping off. Simple.
    These generic rubber boots are only $15.00 each...
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 3rd January 2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: to add something...

1000+ Posts

Cheers for that George.... most helpful!! I will use that as plan B as i prefer to use genuine but thats just me.
    Any idea what the Bursons/Repco part # was Gearge....or did you just ask for Xantia items and they turned out to be universal?
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Hi JR, I didn't even try to source genuine, I wanted the job finished asap. I figured a dust boot is a dust boot. Who cares, as long as it's a new part. The oldies were torn to shreds.
    I really doubt you'll ever get originals for $15.00 each... more like $195.00 each, or something equally ridiculous. And the originals were more like plastic than Rubber.
    The only reason the originals fell to bits was because a few years ago the pinion was leaking LHM all over the place. The original dust covers just fall to pieces if any LHM gets on them. So, I figured the generic ones are way better anyway.
    Good luck...

Thread Information