C4 1.6l diesel fuel economy
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 1.6l diesel fuel economy

Hi all,
    I'm just curious as to what fuel economy figures people are getting in their C4, particularly the diesel version.

Advertisement

I recently got 1200 kilometres out of a full tank, and still had 2 bars left on the fuel guage. That made it somewhere around 4.5l per 100 km I think roughly. That was mostly motorway driving (M4) to Katoomba and back with a little city driving, and not much weight in the car.

Also how do you find the accuracy of the fuel guage when it is low, say down to the last 1 or 2 bars. I've found it decreases quite quickly, but don't want to risk running out. When it hits the two bars. it says I still have approx 200kms range left before empty. Is that reliable?

My only experience is it has reached the 2nd bar, then fairly quickly reaches the last bar, and the the last bar started flashing indicating very low level of fuel. I certainly don't think the remaining range is accurate at low levels of fuel.

BTW it is a C4 1.6 litre HDI EGS .

thanks,
    Glenn

When the gauge stops counting down; which it has done to me once, you are in the lap of the gods.
    No gauge is made to give an exact reading, but they are close either way of precise.
    When we went to the Launceston Citin in 2010, we were getting 1200km to the tank at 100kmh across
    from Northam WA to Geelong Vic, then the traffic was more dense. The air conditioner was on all the way.
    The average reading got down to 4.3lt per 100km.. We have a 5 speed manual.
    It has now done 190000 and is at 4.7. I will reset it again soon.
    Cheers.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

UFO

You're about bang on what Mrs UFO gets in her C4, which as you know, is identical to yours. She sometimes does less, but that could relate to Kiama bends/bypass and heavier shoes....
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I think the 'issue' with the gauge is that the manufacturers are being very kind in a way to get us to refill before it runs out. This is the same in all 3 cars. The CX will get 200 miles by the time the gauge is pointing to half. Never gets much more than 340 in total so the fuel gauge moves faster over the second half of its travel. Ditto the Xantia, 400km at half way but the low fuel light comes on at about 630. The Prius has a digital gauge like your C4 and it seems to be a bit more linear, in that I can do the home to work and return on one division easily. However if I start with one division showing about halfway on one leg the low fuel alarm sounds and when you fill up put about 36 litres in out of a 45 litre tank, so there is 9 litres left or more than 10%. The Prius has 10 divisions in the gauge. In all cars you would have to be stupid and ignore all warnings for a very long time to run out of fuel.

So much per tank is a meaningless measure of fuel economy BTW. How big is the tank and how much did you use to fill it for instance.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm just curious as to what fuel economy figures people are getting in their C4, particularly the diesel version.

I recently got 1200 kilometres out of a full tank, and still had 2 bars left on the fuel guage. That made it somewhere around 4.5l per 100 km I think roughly. That was mostly motorway driving (M4) to Katoomba and back with a little city driving, and not much weight in the car.

Also how do you find the accuracy of the fuel guage when it is low, say down to the last 1 or 2 bars. I've found it decreases quite quickly, but don't want to risk running out. When it hits the two bars. it says I still have approx 200kms range left before empty. Is that reliable?

My only experience is it has reached the 2nd bar, then fairly quickly reaches the last bar, and the the last bar started flashing indicating very low level of fuel. I certainly don't think the remaining range is accurate at low levels of fuel.

BTW it is a C4 1.6 litre HDI EGS .

thanks,
    Glenn
    The only way to get a rough idea is see how much fuel the car took when it had two bars, and subtract that from the total tank size.

I normally fill up my Clio once I've done over 600 km. I've key it get to the bottom of the red a few times. Once the fuel light came on and I got 46.?? litres into a 50l tank. But normally the bottom of the red is only 44 litres.

The most I've ever gotten in was 49.7 litres when I ran out of petrol for the first time in my life. That was after 740km and the fuel light didn't come on.

Thread Information